advertisement

Curmudgeon Corner

I had to DuckDuck the last one!
Two better than me, then. I can’t decide whether I am turning into the Radio 1 newsreader during Emperor Rosko’s first broadcast in the 60s (“...and here is the news. In English!”) or if everyone else is turning into Siobhan Sharpe (“if we can get bandwidth on this one, guys, we’ll be eating maple syrup on our waffles from the get-go.”)

...and unattributed sources in political columns. These from Special K’s spoutings today on the BBC website, in the space of five sentences. Names or it didn’t happen, Laura.

The only journalist code I know is "...a source close to the Prime Minister said" means "...the Prime Minister said..."

The only journalist code I know is "...a source close to the Prime Minister said" means "...the Prime Minister said..."
That’s what we are supposed to think, of course. But it could equally be the policeman on duty outside the door. He’s a source, and he’s (relatively) close to the Prime Minister. I’m sure I read somewhere that French newspapers (one example) don’t allow this nod-and-wink coyness. If a politician wants to get his thoughts broadcast, it has to be with name attached.

I hate decimation. The UK was never the same since we dropped the florin and the farthing.
No problem, I read in another thread this morning that if you think a law is stupid, it’s fine just to ignore it. Between you and me, that’s the line I took with decimation - no-one’s going to stop me farting.

Politicians and others seem to start a reply to any question with the word SO all the time. Funny how these things become fashionable ?

Politicians and others seem to start a reply to any question with the word SO all the time. Funny how these things become fashionable ?

So, like
I go into this, like, salon place, y'know
And I wanted, like, to get my toenails done
And the lady, like, goes
"Oh, my god, your toenails are, like, so grody"
It was, like, really embarrassing

Between you and me, that’s the line I took with decimation - no-one’s going to stop me farting.

I thought that referred to only one in ten allowed to be smelly.

A sore point with me and one I've posted a thread on. Fashionable it may be, but it's absolutely rubbish grammatically. The amazing thing is that just so many ostensibly educated people prefix an answer with this conjunction. It's a totally redundant misuse and I'm baffled by its origins and spread.

'Like' is, on the other hand, understandable because it's used by the illiterate younger generation who lack verbal communication skills and have trouble with sentence construction, like.

A sore point with me and one I've posted a thread on. Fashionable it may be, but it's absolutely rubbish grammatically. The amazing thing is that just so many ostensibly educated people prefix an answer with this conjunction. It's a totally redundant misuse and I'm baffled by its origins and spread.
"So" is the new "um", allowing you to get your thoughts together before getting into whatever you have to say. See also "well" and "actually".

"So" is the new "um", allowing you to get your thoughts together before getting into whatever you have to say. See also "well" and "actually".
The Irish (Bless ‘em) have been using it since time immemorial but they of course put it at the end of sentences... now with the current fad some are putting it at the beginning and the end, bunch of so and so’s!

advertisement

Back