advertisement

Curmudgeon Corner

Listening to qualifying for the Turkish GP on 5Live, and IMG Media's cross between Adrian Mole and Alan Partridge is even more irritating than usual......
Apparently he gets a lot of critical mail, and he mentioned being fired from a previous commentating job, but it makes no impression whatever.

Websites that load in stutters and leave the last page shift downwards until three seconds after the penultimate, so your finger - that was heading happily towards ‘special offers’ - instead crashes into ‘terms and conditions.’

Websites that load in stutters and leave the last page shift downwards until three seconds after the penultimate, so your finger - that was heading happily towards ‘special offers’ - instead crashes into ‘terms and conditions.’

Are you still on dial-up in Marchbank Towers?

Once again, we can only apologise for the interruption to this thread. It too it seems could not escape the effects of the pandemic, with the efforts of forum members being totally expended trying to keep it together whilst the world turns to shit that the capacity simply was not there to complain about the little things in life that really shouldn't matter but somehow still do. Whilst this situation is understandable it cannot be allowed to continue. And so to resume:

Businesses that are 'here for you'. My bank is so here for me they have emailed me 3 times this month, including one that the Chief Irritating Officer personally wanted to write to me (me, not you) to assure me that he really cares how I am and that the banking facilities that have remain unchanged for ages and I pay for are still here for me.

I even had one from the water company telling me that the water is here for me too. 'I know', I thought to myself, 'it's pissing it down as I type'. He neglected to mention what they had told me a few days earlier though, which is that between the hours of 10pm and 6am this week the water may not be here for me, or at least might be a bit cloudy and hungover. But no problem, to get it clean just run the tap for 20 minutes. What's that sir, middle of the night you say, water meter you say?

Tl;dr

This thread is here for you

Nicely rebooted.

Today’s moan - posters issuing generalistic, sweeping statements. Such diatribe betrays their obvious intellect, or more likely their ‘can’t be arsed to take time to be specific’ posts.

People who ask a question about yourself or your likes and dislikes purely so they can give you their opinion on your reply, I'm pretty sure we used to ask questions to get to know each other not judge each other.

I'm not really sure where a conversation goes after contributions like "what? They're shit!". Differences in taste make pointless arguments.

And so to resume:

Businesses that are 'here for you'.

Wonderful rant, that hits a certain nail dead-square.
Professionally, in the last 6months I've been receiving an awful lot of similar bilge from companies and suppliers I've never heard of , let-alone worked-with (or specified) ; it is just a new twist on the same-old, same-old.

In the manner of Vince in Pulp Fiction - you ain't my buddy, Paluka.

NB this kind of rubbish goes with the times. C. a Decade ago I was positively plagued by sales calls from a major supplier of all sorts of building materials, large enough most non-combatants will have heard of them, desperate to chase every poss lead from Planning submissions (the lists and names of agents/designers involved get published & sold-on, along with Contractor's publicity on site start dates etc etc. )

This particular leech got up to 2-3 bites a week; and after a (short) period of increasing irritability, I finally (for the giggle, and a bottle of wine) had a most-excellent French female colleague to call them, forced husky accent and all, to ask take my name off their call list, because, so sorry, he 'as ded, and we are most upset.

<vincent vega/> I think you heard me just fine, Punchy...

That worked, still does to this date in fact.
And to this day, I will not specify their materials; there are many alternatives available, more attractive in several senses.

tl;dr: as Bill Hicks said nearly 30 yrs ago: if you work in Advertising or marketing, kill yourselves right now.

Thanks, I work in advertising.

Unfortunately it happens to be one of the few things this country is good at & it is a very valuable industry to the economy. Pays for stuff etc.

Sales canvassers can be irritating & there are some shysters about but let’s not tar everyone with the same brush.

oh, come on: it was a joke then about the worst excesses of the industry.

It's still not-wrong
and
re-iterated in a thread called 'curmudgeon corner'
and
All
industries & professions have comparable sore-points in their wider perception.

Once again, we can only apologise for the interruption to this thread. It too it seems could not escape the effects of the pandemic, with the efforts of forum members being totally expended trying to keep it together whilst the world turns to shit that the capacity simply was not there to complain about the little things in life that really shouldn't matter but somehow still do. Whilst this situation is understandable it cannot be allowed to continue. And so to resume:

Businesses that are 'here for you'. My bank is so here for me they have emailed me 3 times this month, including one that the Chief Irritating Officer personally wanted to write to me (me, not you) to assure me that he really cares how I am and that the banking facilities that have remain unchanged for ages and I pay for are still here for me.

I even had one from the water company telling me that the water is here for me too. 'I know', I thought to myself, 'it's pissing it down as I type'. He neglected to mention what they had told me a few days earlier though, which is that between the hours of 10pm and 6am this week the water may not be here for me, or at least might be a bit cloudy and hungover. But no problem, to get it clean just run the tap for 20 minutes. What's that sir, middle of the night you say, water meter you say?

Tl;dr

This is the best post I’ve read in ages.

tl;dr: as Bill Hicks said nearly 30 yrs ago: if you work in Advertising or marketing, kill yourselves right now.

I'm afraid Scott Adams is on the naughty step because of his support for Trump, but I remember a Dilbert strip where the team are made to attend a consciousness raising course. The trainer says 'First of all, you need to empty your minds completely. (Those of you from marketing can skip this step)'.

Of late, one thing that is getting on my pip is the BBC mantra that ‘we are your friends,’ or ‘we are all family.’ (frequently heard on BBC 6 Music)

The new fashion for so called time-poor people who are soo busy that they cannot chop an onion or peel a carrot. A box of pre-prepped food delivered to your door with instructions!

London. It isn’t a separate country.

The T.V. news turning into a variety of opinion from the public, lovingly collated to reflect the politics of the producer (or whoever), vox pops suck.

Clapping for the N.H.S. - it was crass and embarrassing the first time around, even more so now.
(I am ex N.H.S. and daughter is frontline staff )

My irritating old neighbour a couple of doors away who is unable to sort out her car alarm. 04:20 hrs. last night it went off. Been going on for months, not every night, it occurs randomly. Daft bat. Situation is made worse by the woman being a mate of my Wife.
The neighbour has more money than sense and could easily get it fixed.

advertisement

Back