advertisement

What are you going to do whilst in lockdown II?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not been affected significantly by the pandemic. We were sent home for a few weeks in March/April, the first week of which was a work-from-home week, followed by three weeks of being paid to do nothing. Since then everything has been back to normal, schedule-wise, since we provide an essential service. I'm a hermit anyway, so going to work and to the market are about the extent of my public life. But I haven't eaten in a restaurant since March, and haven't ventured to the used record store, not even the one I can see from my kitchen window.

My college room mate's whole family got it, and it killed his mother a day before her 90th birthday.

What do you use instead? I have fallen trees every year. Should I use them to heat the house or let them rot and use electricity/ oil instead? Granted, I use some fuel in the tractor / chainsaws / splitter.

Fallen trees are fine up to a point but letting them rot is a part of nature and supports a whole network of beasties etc., this at a time when we're being told about a dearth of insects generally.

We only use electricity in our house and yes I know not all of that is as environmentally friendly as it might be - I see Drax has been fired up overnight.....

Regards

Richard

Now in lockdown 2 in Liverpool, so I'm going to get my music room sorted out. Proper shelving etc built in the alcoves for equipment and records (as opposed to the current mishmash of tables, hifi rack and Ikea Kallax). Get room decorated. Buy an RCM and set out about cleaning my records and buying more s/h ones.

Fallen trees are fine up to a point but letting them rot is a part of nature and supports a whole network of beasties etc., this at a time when we're being told about a dearth of insects generally.

We only use electricity in our house and yes I know not all of that is as environmentally friendly as it might be - I see Drax has been fired up overnight.....

Regards

Richard

That’s the problem, there is no perfect answer. Increased population and energy demand doesn’t help either.
I use the decent trunks and cords for firewood (our primary heat source) but there is always plenty of smaller / dead stuff left on the ground to rot down for the beasties.

Now in lockdown 2 in Liverpool, so I'm going to get my music room sorted out. Proper shelving etc built in the alcoves for equipment and records (as opposed to the current mishmash of tables, hifi rack and Ikea Kallax). Get room decorated. Buy an RCM and set out about cleaning my records and buying more s/h ones.

An RCM is a very good thing to have, but I don't see much reason for setting out to systematically clean them in batches. Just clean each one as needed before you play it, or when you acquire it.

More log splitting today with this bad boy. It will smash the gnarliest lump of oak to smithereens!

If you were to let those cuts of wood air dry for a few years a gentle swing of a maul is all you need! Gulp, that reminds me, there are a few out there waiting to be split...

Floor matting ordered for garage/home gym. All the pieces for that project now in place. (Home gym, ready for when our local one is forced to close)

I've found some massive branches that I've carried or dragged into the garden and started to cut them up today,

Are you sure those branches weren't meant to be left there for the wild life benefits! It is often policy to do that in these enlightened days.

8 mile hike at Ullswater, returned to a slow cooked shoulder of lamb and a bottle of Rioja - will sleep tonight.
Sounds like a day well spent. Got lost coming down great gable once, then twisted me knee and had to slide down the rubble to reach Wasdale Inn ?.
Any day in the Lakes is good though , except perhaps that one !

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back