advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Squeaky Troll/ IEA stooge and GOP mouthpiece Kate Andrews has now surfaced as ‘economic correspondent, The Spectator’ to lecture a Conservative Chancellor on his over-spending to avert a Covid economic and unemployment disaster. Oh the times....

Utter chaos

He added the next day

"If you are able, move any vulnerable individuals (such as the elderly and those with underlying healthconditions) out of your home, to stay with friends or family for the duration of the home isolation period"

They would have to be isolating within the household by that time (at risk of being fined). I think he's just making it up...

IFS (any many others) criticise Sunak support package

"Paul Johnson, the head of the Institute for Fiscal Studies think-tank, says Rishi Sunak’s new support package won’t prevent many furloughed workers from being laid off.

Johnson fears that many jobs will now be lost once the furlough scheme ends in October, because struggling companies can’t justify bringing them back part-time.

He has tweeted that Sunak’s new scheme is less generous than the furlough scheme, and will mean job losses."

Many employers won't want to be constrained by being unable to make employees on the scheme redundant [still to be confirmed].

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...08ec5446e75778#block-5f6c83ba8f08ec5446e75778

Good Morning All,

If EVERYBODY in the country was going what they should we wouldn't be where we are now, sorry but I'm not convinced it is all the fault of track and trace and testing or the Government.

As already reported the fact that over 400 house parties were broken up the other weekend in Scotland says it all really. Now we have students partying.

I really don't need to face another 6 months of restrictions and precious little earnings and now we're on the verge of the Government giving more money away that we simply don't have.

Is there an avenue whereby I can thank all the selfish t***s who have put us in this situation.

Yes the current situation may have been foreseeable but it is hardly surprising if you have what amounts to a 'no blame/ no penalty' culture. The people who stand to feel the pain have little control over the activities of others and a great many must be as frustrated as I am.

Regards

Richard
Richard,

The primary responsibility is with govt. It is messages from govt that has led to how people are behaving.

Unlike some others I’m not convinced govt has shown a lack of leadership or are incompetent. I believe they know EXACTLY what they are doing, and that is to allow many thousands die who would not have done. The task is to spread out the deaths and make sure the reason for it doesn’t stick to them. On these things they are leading very well ( top of the European league ) and are very competent.

I had a survey come through the letterbox from the local tory MP, it asks how they are doing managing coronavirus among other things. I will complete it but the trouble is, a question such as “How are we managing the pandemic?” has a different answer depending on your desired outcome. Their desired outcome is not the same as mine.

He added the next day

"If you are able, move any vulnerable individuals (such as the elderly and those with underlying healthconditions) out of your home, to stay with friends or family for the duration of the home isolation period"

They would have to be isolating within the household by that time (at risk of being fined). I think he's just making it up...

That's genuinely concerning.... it's not just against the guidelines, it's the opposite of common sense!

Covid 19 is a twenty-first century virus, Brian.

You have to get down with the cool kids.

Stephen

* Hilarious. Pretty much makes it all but useless. Other countries have simler Apps that work on older devices.

I’m surprised dogs haven’t been brought in sooner, much cheaper and more effective than Dido Harding’s grifters. Tin of ?Pedigree Chum and an old tennis ball and you’re off.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...s-to-test-for-covid-19?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

The Finnish are smart. The Guardian says:

A dog is capable of detecting the presence of the coronavirus within 10 seconds and the entire process takes less than a minute to complete, according to Anna Hielm-Björkman of the University of Helsinki, who is overseeing the trial.

“It’s very promising,” said Hielm-Björkman. “If it works, it could prove a good screening method in other places” such as hospitals, care homes and at sporting and cultural events.

Jack

Just tried to download it to my iphone.

Sadly the message is, “This application requires iOS 13.5 or later

I’m not buying a new phone.

Very sensible, risk your health and phone security for a couple of hundred notes every five years.

Richard,

The primary responsibility is with govt. It is messages from govt that has led to how people are behaving.

Unlike some others I’m not convinced govt has shown a lack of leadership or are incompetent. I believe they know EXACTLY what they are doing, and that is to allow many thousands die who would not have done. The task is to spread out the deaths and make sure the reason for it doesn’t stick to them. On these things they are leading very well ( top of the European league ) and are very competent.

I had a survey come through the letterbox from the local tory MP, it asks how they are doing managing coronavirus among other things. I will complete it but the trouble is, a question such as “How are we managing the pandemic?” has a different answer depending on your desired outcome. Their desired outcome is not the same as mine.
Yep. If your priorities are to dismantle public institutions, privatise, funnel money to your friends and supporters, focus suffering on poor people and minorities, disempower workers, and above all shift responsibility from the powerful onto the powerless then incompetence isn't really the right word. I think they've been hugely successful.

I'm not saying they know exactly what they're doing: some do I'm sure, others are just following their instincts, many are genuinely incompetent, but the situation is such that all those things tend naturally to lead to things that Conservatives actually like.

The new app might be very good, after all it's closer to the ones our EU friends have been using for a while. It is also very good at forcing folk to buy new phones (from tory donors?). My concern is that if people can't easily and quickly get a test or if those tests are lost or compromised in any other way the app is useless as the virus will have been spread long before anyone gets their result.

The Finnish are smart. The Guardian says:

A dog is capable of detecting the presence of the coronavirus within 10 seconds and the entire process takes less than a minute to complete, according to Anna Hielm-Björkman of the University of Helsinki, who is overseeing the trial.

“It’s very promising,” said Hielm-Björkman. “If it works, it could prove a good screening method in other places” such as hospitals, care homes and at sporting and cultural events.

Jack
IF IT WORKS....

Very sensible, risk your health and phone security for a couple of hundred notes every five years.

My phone security is fine. Many thanks for your concern over that, my health and also advice on where to spend my money.

Other countries have simler Apps that work on older devices.

(maybe or maybe not) if the app uses the Google/Apple exposure notification API. It can work on older Android (I know nothing about Apple phones) phones but becomes increasingly unreliable. The technical spec for Android is that it must have a version of bluetooth that supports BLE (BT4) and Android Marshmallow (v6.0) (or newer). In theory you can set flag in the API to enable it with Android 5, but stability and accuracy are not guaranteed

Covid 19 is a twenty-first century virus, Brian.

You have to get down with the cool kids.

Stephen

* Hilarious. Pretty much makes it all but useless. Other countries have simler Apps that work on older devices.
I doubt it. I think the need for iOS 13.5 is because that was when Apple installed the necessary capabilities for the bluetooth thingummy, and other stuff (API), to enable the apps to function.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back