advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XI

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the original lockdown worked did it? From what can be gleaned from the current situation no, cases rising. so the clowns in charge suggest another, everytime countries try to return to anything like normal common sense dictates the same outcome.
Flawed from the outset.
It did work: it saw widespread compliance and radically reduced the number of infections, hospitalisations and deaths. It was hard but it bought us time to put in place infrastructure to support more targeted measures. Which the government recklessly squandered.

The link is 11 days out of date.

Yes - of course I'm talking about net figures - and why wouldn't I?
Is more people being discharged from hospital than admitted too much like good news for you?

Not if they're just being discharged into carehomes, no. If you're going to make aggresive posts you at least have to be talking about the same thing, rather than making deliberate obfuscations.

Preaching to the choir dude. Starmer was my third choice in the leadership election, although that doesn't mean I thought he would be a bad choice. As it turns out, apart from the decent polling, he's a serious disappointment.

I’m hugely disappointed with him. He has a forensic legal mind and attention to detail, yet again he seems gagged with Labours all-pervasive focus group mentality. The thing that infuriates me is he unquestionably has the ability to rip this shower of shysters apart yet, just like Corbyn on Brexit or anti-Semitism, he sits on his hands ‘triangulating a strategy’ rather than showing any courage of conviction or ideology. I don’t understand why Labour insist their leaders shouldn’t lead and must sit on the fence on everything. From what I saw from PMQs this week (just a few replay clips as I forgot to watch it) Angela Rayner gave Johnson a damn good kicking, as did Ed Miliband last week. So why is Starmer hiding under the desk on Ridge/Marr? I just don’t get it, I don’t understand why running away from core topics is viewed internally as a good look, but after Corbyn and now Starmer it is now what I expect from the party.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...hind-high-bolton-infection-rate-says-local-mp

Having dismissed similar smears of public behaviour when uttered by Harding or Hancock, perhaps our Covid commentators would care to comment on this madness

When a government routinely lies, obfuscates, deceives, flip flops, gives out mixed messages and displays utter contempt for its own advice, is it any wonder that some people start attaching to an entirely different narrative?

Not if they're just being discharged into carehomes, no. If you're going to make aggresive posts you at least have to be talking about the same thing, rather than making deliberate obfuscations.
If they're being discharged from hospital it's because they are deemed fit enough to leave - you shouldn't confuse what appears to have happened in the UK with the system in France.
I've posted on here a few times that hospitalisations in France have never gone below 4,500 - does that sound like a system that tries to discharge elderly and vulnerable patients to carehomes?

It worked fine when nobody was in contact, great what do suggest that's now the norm until a vaccine. Good luck with that.
Do you mind me asking the general age of people on here who advocate staying at home and their general level of wealth and health.

If they're being discharged from hospital it's because they are deemed fit enough to leave - you shouldn't confuse what appears to have happened in the UK with the system in France.
I've posted on here a few times that hospitalisations in France have never gone below 4,500 - does that sound like a system that tries to discharge elderly and vulnerable patients to carehomes?

Roughly speaking 10% of people admitted to hospital with covid die (mostly with 28 days). You seem to be blinded by some fantasy that people are all recovering, when in reality France is bed clearing.

Do you mind me asking the general age of people on here who advocate staying at home and their general level of wealth and health.

I'm 55 and lucky as have a good job I can do from home, but considering the wider picture I think staying home unless necessary is the right thing to do. I do get that it's not a simple decision, but Johnson and co. trying to get people back in the office when they don't need to be is stupidity personified. Same with the schools, a phased week in/week out system would have been better so the schools only ever have 50% capacity at any one time.

One of the issues is people's natural resistance to change. I have long been an advocate of home working but I meet so many luddites who just dismiss it without thinking. I am being simplistic as when I say home working as there are great opportunities to set up local hubs and the likes that keep people distanced, but stop the need for all this commuting and travelling around for meetings and the likes. That's a benefit to the environment and will make people more productive. The coronavirus is a global disaster, but we need to snatch whatever positives we can out of it.

As for lockdown I wish we'd stop using the stupid term, we didn't have a lockdown, we had some restrictions, Spain had a lockdown. For those that found it hard I can empathise, but it was only a few months and if you were furloughed or still working then was it really that bad (NHS and other key workers obviously excepted), I appreciate there will be a good number of edge cases, but overall... well imagine what our grandparents and in some cases parents had to go through in WWII... that was properly hard.

One other thing that makes me laugh a bit is when I read in here about the government should pay for this, the government should pay for that. I am broadly supportive of it, but I do not make the mistake of thinking the government is paying for it, it is all of us who will be paying for it for many many years to come.

One other thing that makes me laugh a bit is when I read in here about the government should pay for this, the government should pay for that. I am broadly supportive of it, but I do not make the mistake of thinking the government is paying for it, it is all of us who will be paying for it for many many years to come.

There needs to be real proposals coming from Starmer about raising finance, otherwise we'll all being paying for this just like we bailed out the banks. I think the Tories plan a further raid of pension funds, either directly or by more QE or perhaps both.

It worked fine when nobody was in contact, great what do suggest that's now the norm until a vaccine. Good luck with that.
Not sure anyone here is advocating a blanket lockdown. The problem is that the way the benefits of the last one were squandered means we might have to have one just to stop the hospitals being overwhelmed.

I'm 55 and lucky as have a good job I can do from home, but considering the wider picture I think staying home unless necessary is the right thing to do. I do get that it's not a simple decision, but Johnson and co. trying to get people back in the office when they don't need to be is stupidity personified. Same with the schools, a phased week in/week out system would have been better so the schools only ever have 50% capacity at any one time.

One of the issues is people's natural resistance to change. I have long been an advocate of home working but I meet so many luddites who just dismiss it without thinking. I am being simplistic as when I say home working as there are great opportunities to set up local hubs and the likes that keep people distanced, but stop the need for all this commuting and travelling around for meetings and the likes. That's a benefit to the environment and will make people more productive. The coronavirus is a global disaster, but we need to snatch whatever positives we can out of it.

As for lockdown I wish we'd stop using the stupid term, we didn't have a lockdown, we had some restrictions, Spain had a lockdown. For those that found it hard I can empathise, but it was only a few months and if you were furloughed or still working then was it really that bad (NHS and other key workers obviously excepted), I appreciate there will be a good number of edge cases, but overall... well imagine what our grandparents and in some cases parents had to go through in WWII... that was properly hard.
I concur, but many don't have office jobs. The only people paying will be the taxpayer.
Being home for 3 months wasn't difficult in the slightest I'd be quite happy to do another 3 months but it doesn't address the route cause that this is a virus we have no control over at present. My parents endured the war fighting infact. I personally preferred staying home to that.. The Mrs is a careworker so no time off for her unfortunately.

What's your point? No-one disputes Starmer won the leadership election.

The concern is that Starmer won by lying to members (he shows no sign of sticking to his "ten pledges" that won over many members on the left of the party). I thought many PFM members have strong, principled objections to people who win elections by lying?

Another concern, which is broader and deeper, is: what would Starmer do with power if Labour win? All the signs point to a deeply conservative outlook, when the country desperately needs a change of direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back