advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... IIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
The two sides also failed to make progress this week on long-standing disagreement over lorry drivers’ rights after Brexit.

Barnier expressed surprise about the UK debate about the loss of haulage rights after Brexit, while stressing that any future access would depend on accepting EU standards on hauliers’ working time and other regulations.

Citing recent press reports, he said: “We have seen an emotion that surprised me four years after the Brexit vote … the UK has decided itself to lose the benefits of the single market. It was their choice. It was not our choice.”

Brexit does not mean the UK will leave the single market'

Daniel Hannan, the Tory MEP who is often described as the “godfather of Brexit” repeatedly assured voters that Britain would not leave the single market if they voted to leave the EU.

“Absolutely nobody is talking about threatening our place in the single market,” he said.

Owen Paterson, a Tory MP and a prominent campaigner for Vote Leave made similar claims.

“Only a madman would actually leave the market,” Mr Paterson said.

Stephen
In the link to the article from 2018, check out the adverts after lie #6. The 30 wedding pics that went ‘horribly’ wrong is interesting.

The two sides also failed to make progress this week on long-standing disagreement over lorry drivers’ rights after Brexit.

Barnier expressed surprise about the UK debate about the loss of haulage rights after Brexit, while stressing that any future access would depend on accepting EU standards on hauliers’ working time and other regulations.

Citing recent press reports, he said: “We have seen an emotion that surprised me four years after the Brexit vote … the UK has decided itself to lose the benefits of the single market. It was their choice. It was not our choice.”

Brexit does not mean the UK will leave the single market'

Daniel Hannan, the Tory MEP who is often described as the “godfather of Brexit” repeatedly assured voters that Britain would not leave the single market if they voted to leave the EU.

“Absolutely nobody is talking about threatening our place in the single market,” he said.

Owen Paterson, a Tory MP and a prominent campaigner for Vote Leave made similar claims.

“Only a madman would actually leave the market,” Mr Paterson said.

Stephen
Barnier has now said Frost & Co are time wasting. Johnson has confirmed there will be no extension so it’s looking like the good old Australia-style deal. Perhaps Truss will give out free British cheese vouchers to every family in January as a consolation prize?

Barnier has now said Frost & Co are time wasting. Johnson has confirmed there will be no extension so it’s looking like the good old Australia-style deal. Perhaps Truss will give out free British cheese vouchers to every family in January as a consolation prize?
I agree. Will the penny finally drop for those who think it will be something else?

Are you getting it yet about just how ‘entitled’ Johnson and this bunch of tories are?

I agree. Will the penny finally drop for those who think it will be something else?

Are you getting it yet about just how ‘entitled’ Johnson and this bunch of tories are?

After May, I think it was clear where this was going to end. That’s why there was so much resistance in Parliament trying to stop a no deal. But this a Tory Brexit, so I’m not surprised.

Leave voters who believed the leave campaign lies are going to be in for a shock though.

Stephen

After May, I think it was clear where this was going to end. That’s why there was so much resistance in Parliament trying to stop a no deal. But this a Tory Brexit, so I’m not surprised.

Leave voters who believed the leave campaign lies are going to be in for a shock though.

Stephen
Let's hope the tories pay for it in 2024 then.

The remain campaign warned that a no vote would lead to this outcome. The leave campaign offered impossibilities or options that the Eurosceptics were never going to accept.

Stephen
You may well be right but I don't recall the remain campaign specifically claiming a no vote would lead to a WTO terms exit, I think the remain campaign assumed they would walk it, that's why the campaign was so poor, just gloom and doom from start to finish. How many were shocked the morning after when the result came in? I was, that's for sure.

I seriously doubt a majority of the electorate knew much at all about WTO terms ahead of the referendum, let alone the detail of what it meant. So even if the remain campaign did warn that could happen, it was hardly going to sway people who didn't understand it. This is just another reason why there should never have been a referendum at all, but I think most of us are agreed it was all about the tory party.

I do think there is a danger that hard-remainers are going to point to everything that goes wrong as being something predicted by the remain campaign that was dismissed as project fear. Reviewing some of the comments on this forum ahead of the referendum about "Project Fear" could be an eye-opener.

You may well be right but I don't recall the remain campaign specifically claiming a no vote would lead to a WTO terms exit, I think the remain campaign assumed they would walk it, that's why the campaign was so poor, just gloom and doom from start to finish. How many were shocked the morning after when the result came in? I was, that's for sure.
See the comments about Hannan and Paterson in #1822. I think even Farage during the campaign was for staying in the Single Market. So, no significant hint of a hard brexit from the leave campaign. Why, then would the remain campaign specifically claim that a no vote would lead to a WTO terms exit (my underline in the quote of your post)? Not because they assumed they would walk it, they assumed leave would not want to commit economic suicide.

For the above sector of the population they had endured six years of austerity after being told the country was hard up, their pension age had been increased and then they were asked if they wanted to continue to subsidise Europe.
so now these people have got what they voted for, how's "the easiest deal in history" going? It's all going to be sorted come January, isn't it? Mr Barnier is well on board, at least.
Still, at least the people who suffered under austerity and the retraction of their pension age won't be the ones who suffer from the downsides of Brexit, will they? Oh hang on. Well, they're getting what they asked for, aren't they?

I still have £50 for a charity bet that says January will bring a BINO, yet another extension, or other obfuscation, rather than actually leaving with a deal or no deal. I've had precisely no takers.

See the comments about Hannan and Paterson in #1822. I think even Farage during the campaign was for staying in the Single Market. So, no significant hint of a hard brexit from the leave campaign. Why, then would the remain campaign specifically claim that a no vote would lead to a WTO terms exit (my underline in the quote of your post)? Not because they assumed they would walk it, they assumed leave would not want to commit economic suicide.
I didn’t say they did, Stephen did in #1829 in his reply to #1823. I highlighted it in bold in my reply to him.

If you think the hard core ERG types have ever wanted anything other than WTO terms then I’m frankly staggered. What makes you think they would openly say so?

I didn’t say they did, Stephen did in #1829 in his reply to #1823. I highlighted it in bold in my reply to him.

If you think the hard core ERG types have ever wanted anything other than WTO terms then I’m frankly staggered. What makes you think they would openly say so?
But I don't think the ERG would openly say so. Where have I stated that? Where have I said what I think about what the ERG actually wanted? My post was about what certain people in the leave campaign said and the remain campaign response. Why do you feel the need to make things up, put words in others' posts that aren't there, to snipe, to belittle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back