advertisement

Just been to the shops!?

Watched herd immunity in action yesterday. Mother and small child standing in the queue on a heavily trafficked shop threshold. A boiled sweet tumbled from the child's mouth onto the tarmac. The mother picked it up, put into her own mouth and sucked it clean, then popped it back into the child's mouth.

OMG!
I'm like that over bread yeast...normally a civilised and polite 'no, after you' person, one glimpse of bread yeast on the shelves and it'll be WW3 :)

For the future, If ppl make their own starter from a dried yeast sachet it completely obviates the need to ever buy it again... as long as the culture is restored/topped up with each bake. Add a bit of sugar/molasses and flour and you don’t need to be dependent on store yeast ever again. Many bakers would be happy to share their starters with you, I know I would.

OMG!
I'm like that over bread yeast...normally a civilised and polite 'no, after you' person, one glimpse of bread yeast on the shelves and it'll be WW3 :)

We found fresh yeast on sale at the local farm shop this weekend. And plain flour too - locally it seems you can find bread flour now in the supermarkets, but not plain.

I can get proper yeast (and thanks for the kind offer to share C.F.), but I'm after the dried yeast granules that are made for bread making machines, and apart from some Chinese stuff on the Bay (hmmmmm, maybe not right now) it's just gorn, gorn, gorn.

If anyone wants plain flour check out the world foods section of the supermarket. I’ve just had a tesco delivery and took a chance on some polish flour. “Lubella Fluffy Poznan Flour 1Kg - 99p” looks like plain flour to me. 11g protein. Just doing an overnight prove on sourdough pizza dough - fingers crossed ;)

If anyone wants plain flour check out the world foods section of the supermarket. I’ve just had a tesco delivery and took a chance on some polish flour. “Lubella Fluffy Poznan Flour 1Kg - 99p” looks like plain flour to me. 11g protein. Just doing an overnight prove on sourdough pizza dough - fingers crossed ;)
No bad idea. At 11% protein it is standard pastry flour, as sold retail as plain flour. It won't make the best bread but it might work well enough if you knead it for a decent length of time. For a pizza where you don't want too much lift it might be ideal. Either way you can eat it.

I had to pick up my monthly prescription today. Only two customers a time allowed in the pharmacy. Waited outside for 3 minutes.

Took the Yeti (diesel) down a junction and back on the M1 to warm it up properly. It felt good and slightly space-age to be driving. The M1 traffic was about 50% of whatever normal is.

Looked at the queue to enter Morrisons and decided on Adli.
I reckon about ten minutes of queuing to get in Morrisons, and my legs will not do that.

No queue at Aldi: I got ground coffee, a few potted herbs to stick in the garden, a dutch white and sea bass fillets. Oh, and one tin of tomatoes No nutters in the store, fairly empty. No centre aisle finds.

Homemade chips, fishfingers and mushy peas for dinner. My wifey who is southern (and then some) will not eat mushy peas, so baked beans for her uncultured palate. Today's big dilemma, just how many fishfingers represent of portion? I am thinking six.

Mint sauce in the mushy peas?

Mint sauce in mushy peas only when the peas are being consumed outside in a small dish. Usually on Bonfire night.
Mint sauce with mushy peas and battered/coated fish is a crime. Mint and fish do not go together, not in this mouth.
chips, fishfingers and mushy peas = dusting of table salt (absolutely not kosher/Maldon seasalt) sprinkle of malt vinegar (again nothing fancy) and freshly ground black pepper.
I have a history of a blob of tartar sauce or ketchup appearing on the plate, at the side, not on any food.
Mint sauce!
nein danke.

Just assembling my battle kit for tomorrows Tesco trip...
Remembered it's 'Oldies day'? Check
Made list that follows the goods as laid out by the arrows on the floor? Check
Added something nice as a reward? Check
Got Mrs R to do driving and hand gel duties? Check
Got pre trip anxiety headache? Check :)
Oh FFS.
C19 just BUGGER ORF I've had enough!!

advertisement

Back