advertisement

Just been to the shops!?

My curry ketchup of choice - I still have a bottle I picked up in Germany last year (must check the best before/use by date)...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hela-Curry-Gewürzketchup-scharf/dp/B004KSGWC8
I wouldn't sweat the BB date. It's a pickle, eat it afterwards and it will just be past its best. Oily pickles can suffer fat rancidity, things like lime pickle are vile once the BB has long gone. Ketchup has no oil content so keeps indefinitely. I have one in my fridge that is ancient, I know it won't hurt me so I keep it out of curiosity and have a blob now and again. Maybe BB sometime in 2016. Tastes fine, and safe as houses. Pickled. salted, low water activity. They call these things preserves for a reason.

Edit - just in case someone gets the wrong end of the stick. DO NOT confuse Best Before with Use By. Best before date is advisory, it does what it says on the tin. The food is BEST BEFORE the date in question, this doesn't mean that you can't. It won't hurt you. Use By is just that. This stuff will hurt you, maybe kill you if you are unlucky. Do not ignore Use By dates unless you like playing Russian Roulette with your health.Food after a Use By date is unsafe. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but one day it's going to bite someone. Do you feel lucky?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I just finished a sandwich on home-made bread and the flour packet states BBE March 2017.

Life on the edge eh.

A single cod and chips from our local chippy is plenty enough for two.

I did successfully reheat some chip shop chips once, dry heat, large frying pan and as the bishop said to the bishop, "toss frequently."

Funny you should mention it, because Bavaria was exactly where we were!

We used to live in Munich and still visit fairly regularly. Nothing better than cycling along the river and into the Englischer Garten to have a beet and currywurst at the outside bar by the lake there. Would love to be there now.

We used to live in Munich and still visit fairly regularly. Nothing better than cycling along the river and into the Englischer Garten to have a beet and currywurst at the outside bar by the lake there. Would love to be there now.
Maybe not *right* now. Might be a bit subdued.

Anyone else still finding shortages? It may well be dependant on area I guess, but here, it's only the niche products. caught by surprise and unable to catch up, that are still missing. Everything else is, give or take, back to 'normal'?

I think someone is having some twisted humour with the music being played in shops at the moment. I usually have the delightful experience of calling into Home Bargains. Last week was the Police ‘Don’t stand so close to me’. This week it was the Bee Gees ‘Staying Alive’. How worse can it get next week?

Its mostly the public that cause the shortages , then weeks later when they can't fit any more toilet rolls in the small bedroom they stop buying

Same with flour , they think the world is about to end so buy it all then months later when its out of date and full of flour weevil's in the bin it goes , criminal waste

No super market has run out of bread recently , lorry loads deleverd daily by 5 makers

advertisement

Back