advertisement

Just been to the shops!?

Rockmeister

pfm Member
Did I miss the start of WW3?
Just 1 case here in Dumfries and Galloway and the shelves are bare, people look scared or too ready to chat, Aldi was heaving and limiting buys to 4 of a kind, but no rice, no pasta, no tinned foods...even my homebaking bread flour is all gone, and medicines like paracetomol? Last seem a month back.
OK I realise that C19 is not a good thing, but the press and media reaction have certainly caused panic in some sections. It's flipping daft.
Wife isn't too bothered...supplies of green veggies seem unaffected ;)
My poor digestive system :)

The fear of shortage creates shortage. I have refused to go to the supermarket for that reason.
Instinct is inescapable.

I'm hoping people will come to their senses in a week or so, although...
no ok, that sentence is fatally flawed.
Well where's the nearest miller?
I need bread flour.

Try booking a home delivery you might be lucky and get one for three weeks time. Mind you it will be lucky dip as to what is delivered.
As one of the old and bold I did raise the question with TESCOs customer services as to what measures they were adopting for the old and infirmed to which to resolve the issue. A dumb response and silent line.
Have a good day. The following I thought might raise a smile.

https://scontent-lhr8-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=8e1c6c757486fe86f742e9f10ded4e69&oe=5E971BCB

Went to our local coop at 6ish last night. No fresh veg, no pasta, no fresh chicken, no lurpack (!), no toilet roll, no (insert name of product here).

Decided a 7am visit to Asda would be a good idea. Got there a few minutes early and by the time the doors opened the queue was easily 30 yards long. The loo rolls took about 20 minutes to sell out and the only milk available was semi-skimmed ! Very few tins of veg and no pasta. It was mayhem; people filling their trollies as quickly as they could.

I’ve got a feeling that we are going to be under some sort of curfew for several weeks just like the French are. This is a nasty disease and we really do need to take radical action to limit the number of fatalities.

Long queues at Aldi yesterday, but not so much at Lidl. Today I went to the tip with some plaster board and timber, business as usual there. Timber yard was a bit busy, but car paint supplier was dead. And I only saw one person with a mask. Me! That makes two now, as there was a woman in Lidl yesterday. Surgical gloves too before I touched anything, sweaty hands when I got home.
It puts me in mind of the "phony war" in 1939-40, officially happening, but nothing much to see. And no, I'm not old enough to remember it!

I went on Monday and it was like something from Dawn of the Dead. I took one look at the crowd and left. No way I could cope with that many peeps.

What's the correct etiquette for cannibalism? Do I go for neighbours first or random passers-by?

i haven't been able to buy rice for 3 days now (in toronto). tried 5 or 6 different shops some more than once.

the only thing still in stock, just barely, at one place was some ridiculous california organic mix that was $10 for a very small box -- approximately 2 or 3 servings.

It is daft. I'm taking the view that in a couple of days time all the hoarders will have done their thing and the supermarkets will largely get back to normal.
I hope.

I'm relying on it:oops: No bread, eggs, milk, tissue of any kind, paracetamol you name it in my local supermarket last night. They were expecting deliveries today but I won't be surprised if every things gone when I do my shop at about 8;30 tonight...
Oh and guess what they had on special offer? Corona beer!

advertisement

Back