advertisement

$170 Billion and Counting: The Cost of Brexit for the U.K.

This probably has much to do with the fact that Macron has reversed the country into a coin of a fiscal nature, with a yawning gap between tax income and expenditure due in part to his ongoing issues with the GJs and just about everyone else, issues that nobody here ever speaks about. I understand that towards the end of last year he ordered a guillotine on imports, and that it is becoming more difficult to source your favourite Chilean or even Spanish plonk, for example, at the local supermarché..
How is he blocking imports of Spanish plonk, this being intra-EU trade? You will know just as well if not better than I that a vast proportion of cheaper French domestic wine consumption is "du table espagnol". Alongside your "VdP du Gard" at Eu 1.50 a bottle you will find a load of Spanish stuff bottled by the likes of Joseph Verdier in Montreuil-Bellay or various places in Dept. 11.

How will our resident Labour supporting leavers be celebrating on the 31st now they are getting the Tory Brexit they voted for?

Bunging a buck for a bong with Boris? Rollicking with Raab? Partying with Patel? Knocking about with Kwarteng? Frolicking with Francois? Coming with Cummings?

How will you be marking the day that your dreams come true?

Stephen

How will our resident Labour supporting leavers be celebrating on the 31st now they are getting the Tory Brexit they voted for?

Bunging a buck for a bong with Boris? Rollicking with Raab? Partying with Patel? Knocking about with Kwarteng? Frolicking with Francois? Coming with Cummings?

Stephen

Wearing their Union Jack underpants.

Stephen
Frolicking with Francois produced a mental image of a Carry on Film,

Getting Brexit inserted.

Had our first trade tiff with USA and talks haven't even started ! Exactly what Trump wanted: smaller countries to bully not a face off with a united EU.

Stephen
Currently twitching about:

Driving licence
Mobile phone service
My NHS card (French version)

EU citizens so far are getting far more reassurance from UK government than are UK citizens in the EU from their respective governments. I have still not come across a single statement from Macron and his cronies about it. Please post a link if there is one.

Macro's a bit preoccupied at the moment trying to figure new wheezes to tax the living daylights out of the prols and the paysans without them realising and taking to the streets and setting fire to more banks.

Macro's a bit preoccupied at the moment trying to figure new wheezes to tax the living daylights out of the prols and the paysans without them realising and taking to the streets and setting fire to more banks.

He could ignore the tax revenue needed (from all) and let the infrastructure crumble, nothing could go wrong with that.

He should take a leaf out of Boris's book and save money by allowing the poor to live on the streets.

He could ignore the tax revenue needed (from all) and let the infrastructure crumble, nothing could go wrong with that.

I think the issue revolves around the pensions system, and the lofty expectations of the proles and the paysans in that regard.

He should take a leaf out of Boris's book and save money by allowing the poor to live on the streets.

In fairness to Boris, wasn't that call me Dave and the wallpaper fellow?

To be fair they did start it, but Boris is in charge now and he has made it clear how much of a priority he thinks it is by disregarding it totally, so it's his ball now.

Stunningly good and detailed piece about the implications of the trade deal, and how achieving it in the next 11 months is impossible, was always impossible, and only an idiot or a liar would claim it’s possible. And furthermore, failure to achieve it will be an unmitigated disaster for vulnerable parts of the country. Which, by and large, are the bits that voted Leave.

https://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/20...rything-you-need-to-know-about-johnson-s-trad

TL;DR, then just take the closing sentence:

The government either does not know what it is doing or is not prepared to reveal what it is doing. We are heading towards a truly disastrous set of outcomes unless that changes.

^^ lets see how long it takes for one of those chirpy Leavers to reply to all that.

I read most of it. No real revelations there , i thought, just the comentariart at work making making a decent living:

Not sure they'd bother replying , seeing as its a editorial by someone who seems a bit of a chameleon to say the least, but is carving out a lucrative slice for himself from his current and changed stance,

https://semipartisansam.com/tag/ian-dunt/

<<Dunt is the go-to Remainer for political TV producers and he has even written a book lobbying MPs to obstruct a proper Brexit. It’s a very clever career move, considering he was until recently a vocal Brexiteer…

As recently as February this year, Dunt wrote: “I despise the EU”. In May this year he bemoaned the “Faceless EU officials running the country”. In 2014 Dunt wrote: “The idea any left winger could support the EU is a constant source of bafflement for me”. And in 2013 he publicly stated his desire to leave the EU, predicting he and his fellow Leavers would lose a referendum.

How does Dunt explain this most audacious of u-turns, an apparently avowed Brexiteer becoming the darling of the Remain cause? You have to salute him for ruthlessly exploiting the dearth of talent on the Remain side and forging a lucrative, high-profile studio talking head role.>>

I guess the other comentator could be a tad jealous of Dunt's financial savvy to exploit the divided situation for gain, flipping sides when it suits. But Sam HOOPER does seem balanced and informed, and consistent.

I read most of it. No real revelations there, I thought, just the commentariat at work making a decent living:

Not sure they'd bother replying , seeing as its a editorial by someone who seems a bit of a chameleon to say the least, but is carving out a lucrative slice for himself from his current and changed stance,
OK, but you're in danger of shooting the messenger here. Impugning Dunt is fair enough, but deflects from the real issue, which is that the points he makes are, er, real issues. And issues that Brexit enthusiasts either aren't aware of, haven't considered in any depth, or hope they can surmount through a mixture of optimism, pig-headedness or simply not listening.

Stunningly good and detailed piece about the implications of the trade deal, and how achieving it in the next 11 months is impossible, was always impossible, and only an idiot or a liar would claim it’s possible. And furthermore, failure to achieve it will be an unmitigated disaster for vulnerable parts of the country. Which, by and large, are the bits that voted Leave.
https://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/20...rything-you-need-to-know-about-johnson-s-trad
TL;DR, then just take the closing sentence:

This is very similar to the warnings from Sir Ivan Rogers

I think this is perhaps the year in which we find out whether experts are worth paying attention to.

advertisement

Back