advertisement

$170 Billion and Counting: The Cost of Brexit for the U.K.

Brexit trumps everything for some.

Especially to those who know the Tories have caused the problems they are facing, yet still voted them in ‘to get Brexit done’.

So, yes. For some it’s been a long held dream to leave the EU. I assume they’ll be celebrating.

Stephen

Those who voted to "get Brexit done" by the end of January didn't understand what they were voting for. This is the stupidity of not having an informed vote. Everyone will suffer the consequences.

Those who voted to "get Brexit done" by the end of January didn't understand what they were voting for. This is the stupidity of not having an informed vote. Everyone will suffer the consequences.
You seem to be blending Brexit with a rushed Brexit? Anyway we could reconvene in 3 years and see if it was so?

I don't believe anyone can see into the future objectively regarding this subject. Even the reports you can't trust either way. Everyone is a stakeholder.

I am very optimistic.

The Daily Mail will have a commemorative edition on Friday with 15 page Dads Army+All Our Yesterdays style pull out and a free CD of Big Ben’s bongs for all the chair wetters who were too stingy to bung a bob.

You seem to be blending Brexit with a rushed Brexit? Anyway we could reconvene in 3 years and see if it was so?

I don't believe anyone can see into the future objectively regarding this subject. Even the reports you can't trust either way. Everyone is a stakeholder.

I am very optimistic.

So in summary, even though Brexit is the biggest, most complicated and far-reaching change to British politics since the war, don't worry, have a little faith.

If only medical school, engineering degrees, or becoming a pilot was that simple!

I'm sorry but the faith-based approach without any other input is exactly the stupidity that I was talking about above. Remember the word 'informed' that I mentioned in my previous post? Your approach is the exact opposite.

The UK is like that no-hoper who somehow finds themselves on the public audition stages of the X-Factor. You know, the ones who have so little self-awareness that they display their talentless efforts for all to see, and laugh at, and are shocked and surprised when the audience does exactly that.

Our actual public audition isn't until the end of this year, but Friday is when we're committed to going through with it. The main difference between this and the X-Factor is that, whereas Cowell's minions are complicit in leading those deluded lambs to their metaphorical slaughter, the EU has spent the last 3 years saying 'are you sure you want to do this?'

The UK is like that no-hoper who somehow finds themselves on the public audition stages of the X-Factor. You know, the ones who have so little self-awareness that they display their talentless efforts for all to see, and laugh at, and are shocked and surprised when the audience does exactly that.

Our actual public audition isn't until the end of this year, but Friday is when we're committed to going through with it. The main difference between this and the X-Factor is that, whereas Cowell's minions are complicit in leading those deluded lambs to their metaphorical slaughter, the EU has spent the last 3 years saying 'are you sure you want to do this?'
Ha! Florence Foster Jenkins.

Before anybody gets the wrong impression, I'm not saying the UK is talentless, so much as lacking in self-awareness. We clearly have strengths, and talents (albeit successive governments have done comparatively little to nurture them), but equally importantly, I don't think our membership of the EU was any significant impediment to us applying those strengths and talents (except, perhaps, the ones that made us good at invading and subduing weaker nations).

As was very well stated last week, as of next Friday, every single man woman and child in the EU will enjoy numerous benefits denied to us. We will effectively become second class citizens on our own continent.

Our own continent?

Another journalist who campaigned vociferously for years and years against the EU and the UK's membership of it, and who then campaigned articulately for our retention of membership over the apparent impossibility of sorting out matters of trade, was the late Christopher Booker.

Nothing wrong with changing ones mind.

So in summary, even though Brexit is the biggest, most complicated and far-reaching change to British politics since the war, don't worry, have a little faith.

If only medical school, engineering degrees, or becoming a pilot was that simple!

I'm sorry but the faith-based approach without any other input is exactly the stupidity that I was talking about above. Remember the word 'informed' that I mentioned in my previous post? Your approach is the exact opposite.
Sometimes I have a bad time at work. The sales stop and I don't know why. Last autumn was so bad I was looking at bankruptcy again for the second time in 5 years. I am an experienced quant and qual market researcher, but still often do not have an answer. If I shat my pants and did not have a little faith, what would happen to my business?

It's a philosophy one needs to survive if you are the kind that wants to have a go on your own. Something the UK is just about to do. Good luck to Blighty. I really hope and expect it will go well.

Keep reading your media reports or the supposed objective ones from places like OECD and you will take the country nowhere.

Sometimes I have a bad time at work. The sales stop and I don't know why. Last autumn was so bad I was looking at bankruptcy again for the second time in 5 years. I am an experienced quant and qual market researcher, but still often do not have an answer. If I shat my pants and did not have a little faith, what would happen to my business?

It's a philosophy one needs to survive if you are the kind that wants to have a go on your own. Something the UK is just about to do. Good luck to Blighty. I really hope and expect it will go well.

Keep reading your media reports or the supposed objective ones from places like OECD and you will take the country nowhere.

Yeah right Rich. Sorry, I don't buy it. If you had exercised a fraction of the reckless disregard for information and reliance on hope and blind faith in your business dealings as you advocate here, you would have been bust well before now.

Yeah right Rich. Sorry, I don't buy it. If you had exercised a fraction of the reckless disregard for information and reliance on hope and blind faith in your business dealings as you advocate here, you would have been bust well before now.
I have no reckless disregard. Sometimes I just don't have an answer or solution. When things go bad at work it is tempting to simply not go to work, it can be that depressing. But I go and I try to keep my chin up in the dark periods. It's called faith. Its not possible to succeed without it.

advertisement

Back