advertisement

Vast Brexit thread merge part VI

There’s an urgent need for a pubic debate in these islands about the future but Trump, Bannon,Farage and various Russian kleptocracy need to be kept out. Otherwise this place is going to hell but maybe we’re there already.
Some arrived there some time ago...

5bad104a2122c.jpg

Homeless-546x372.jpg

Tones, thanks for the recommendation, I've just started reading this. O'Toole starts by explaining Brexit as an act of self harm resulting from national self pity, borne from an English sense of entitlement/superiority combined with a perception that England has been treated unfairly by the EU (and foreigners in general). I find this very persuasive, and also very worrying. Worrying because I think the post Brexit trade negotiations will involve a huge amount of "unfair" treatment by trading partners who are in a much stronger position than little England. I foresee potential for many years of downward spiral in the English collective psyche - at least as long as it takes to drive it into the minds of a majority of the English that they are not special, don't deserve any deferential treatment from foreigners, and indeed, are not going to receive any.

Well its a point of view, albeit a narrow one. Does it address the conspicuous sense of superiority very evidently experienced by the EU élites and the graduates of such instititions as the École Nationale d'Administration and the College of Europe, I wonder?

Well its a point of view, albeit a narrow one. Does it address the conspicuous sense of superiority very evidently experienced by the EU élites and the graduates of such instititions as the École Nationale d'Administration and the College of Europe, I wonder?

goodness me! Well at least you aren’t wittering on about the Germans this time!

Why oh why do they want to put us down, these elités? They think we are so inférieure.

goodness me! Well at least you aren’t wittering on about the Germans this time!
goodness me! Well at least this time you aren’t wittering on about how horrible England is, nor about how much you dislike the place and how you aren’t ever coming back!

If this is what it takes, then so be it. The illusion of English superiority must be shattered one way or another before they can move on as a nation.

A lot of older people suffer from this badly, hence the high proportion of 'Grey Gammon' Brexit vote.

I am shocked, shocked, to learn of this sense of superiority on the part of graduates of elite high-status FOREIGN schools!

Don't they know they're all wogs?

At least Macron is on EV's side :)
The future of ENA is uncertain; on 25 April 2019, the President of France, Emmanuel Macron, promised that he would close ENA

Who would have thought that educating Civil Servants to do their job was a good idea?:confused:

Tones, thanks for the recommendation, I've just started reading this. O'Toole starts by explaining Brexit as an act of self harm resulting from national self pity, borne from an English sense of entitlement/superiority combined with a perception that England has been treated unfairly by the EU (and foreigners in general). I find this very persuasive, and also very worrying. Worrying because I think the post Brexit trade negotiations will involve a huge amount of "unfair" treatment by trading partners who are in a much stronger position than little England. I foresee potential for many years of downward spiral in the English collective psyche - at least as long as it takes to drive it into the minds of a majority of the English that they are not special, don't deserve any deferential treatment from foreigners, and indeed, are not going to receive any.
Interesting that another Irish Times columnist takes a rather more positive view of the UK's prospects:

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/uk-must-suffer-knockout-blow-if-eu-is-to-thrive-1.4088418

For the country's sake, I hope he's right. I think the UK is being monumentally silly, but the last thing anyone needs is for it to suffer a KO, because it wouldn't be the nobs that would suffer.

Interesting that another Irish Times columnist takes a rather more positive view of the UK's prospects:

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/uk-must-suffer-knockout-blow-if-eu-is-to-thrive-1.4088418

For the country's sake, I hope he's right. I think the UK is being monumentally silly, but the last thing anyone needs is for it to suffer a KO, because it wouldn't be the nobs that would suffer.
My concern is that rivals will be waiting for a moment of maximum weakness which may already have arrived. Eyes are on the threat of a predatory US trade deal but China is now turning the screw and Russia has already been on British soil carrying out grave crimes. This is no time to be posturing as a rival to the EU. Oh, and if the article is remotely predictive, I’m just glad I’m not entering the workforce now.

What 'wittering' is that I apparently do about Germans that you find offensive?

I think I may be able to help here. It is not wittering about Germans in particular but wittering in general. Your entire contribution is wittering, sometimes wittering in baroque, impenetrable prose presented in breeze blocks of text that no-one can possibly read, and that no-one actually does.

I think I may be able to help here. It is not wittering about Germans in particular but wittering in general. Your entire contribution is wittering, sometimes wittering in baroque, impenetrable prose presented in breeze blocks of text that no-one can possibly read, and that no-one actually does.

Yes, so you often tell me!

There’s an urgent need for a pubic debate in these islands about the future but Trump, Bannon,Farage and various Russian kleptocracy need to be kept out. Otherwise this place is going to hell but maybe we’re there already.

i think we are past the point of no return unfortunately.

Why did I need a passport to speak at an Oxford college?
The hostile environment for migrants is merely annoying for some, but for many it can be life-threatening

I never thought I’d have to produce a passport travelling from London to Oxford. Until last week, that is. I was giving a talk at an Oxford college. “Bring your passport,” I was told. “The government has made employers legally responsible for ensuring that anyone who works for them has the right to do so. We need to see your passport before you can begin teaching.”

It was a shocking and outrageous demand and not one I’ve received from any other college, Oxford or otherwise, yet perfectly understandable within the context of the government’s “hostile environment” policy that has turned universities, hospitals, schools, landlords, employers, even homeless charities, into immigration police and created a climate of suspicion under which everyone is assumed to be guilty until they can prove themselves innocent.

To have to show a passport before giving a talk is a minor irritant. For many people, as the Windrush scandal exposed, and as EU citizens in post-Brexit Britain may find, such checks can be a life-changing experience, denying them hospital treatment or welfare benefits, even leading to detention or deportation.

When it comes to immigration, a nation’s border these days does not coincide with its geographical boundary. Border controls extend both inside the actual border and well beyond it, too. It extends inwards by insisting on internal checks on a nation’s population. The tighter the external controls, the more coercive the internal controls.

And it extends outwards, especially for rich western nations, by casting a net over neighbouring countries. The EU outsources immigration policing to myriad African and Middle Eastern nations, creating a new kidnap and detention industry throughout the region. American immigration controls reach out into Central and South America and the Caribbean.

From Oxford colleges to Sudanese prisons, the obsession with immigration is wrapping our lives in a web of suspicion and policing. I was merely inconvenienced. Others pay with their lives.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...need-a-passport-to-speak-at-an-oxford-college

Winter is coming...

NHS winter crisis fears grow after thousands of EU staff quit

Mass resignations after Brexit vote compound health staffing shortages

More than 10,000 EU nationals have left the NHS since the Brexit referendum, including almost 5,000 nurses. These new figures will add fuel to concerns about a wider staffing crisis.

So far this year more than 3,250 EU staff have left the NHS, according to data released under the Freedom of Information Act. The figures are from less than half England’s trusts and cover only 10 months, so the actual figure is likely to be higher. This year alone, 1,116 EU nurses have left.

Compiled by the Liberal Democrats, the data shows 11,600 EU staff have left since the Brexit vote, including 4,783 nurses. Some of the worst affected trusts include London North West, which has lost 362 EU staff this year, Oxford University Hospitals with 304 departures and University Hospitals Bristol, with 203. The number of EU leavers increased by 23% from 3,504 in 2015 to 4,335 in 2017. The number of EU staff leaving levelled slightly to 4,013 in 2018, still up 14% on 2015.

continues here -> https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/nov/24/nhs-winter-crisis-thousands-eu-staff-quit

It’s a national manifestation of masochism.

O'Toole's book describes the UK's self pity, born out of loss of empire, and the perception that the UK was treated unfairly following WW2, where the UK was left bankrupt and in decline while Germany (and much of the continent) was rebuilt with American money as a bulwark against the spread of communism. The British psyche has never recovered from winning WW2 but losing the subsequent peace. It's this chip on the shoulder that underlies the pitiful complaints of prison guards and punishment beatings.

In some respects the UK did get the short end of the stick after WW2, but life is not "fair", and endlessly wishing it to be so only leads to self destruction along the lines of Brexit.

Witness also how so much of Trump's campaign rhetoric focussed on the unfair treatment of the USA by immigrants and competing countries / superpowers. Self pity induced temper tantrums on both sides of the Atlantic.

advertisement

Back