advertisement

Vast Brexit thread merge part VI

Thanks. I did not check that one yet - I have less opinion on that matter (yet).

Despite these topics can run heated, I do enjoy them. One of my colleagues is a good chap but there is no day without him telling me about Lord Nelsons great victories and the bright future after Brexit. I guess the others on this topic are not so much different.
Have you asked your friend the nationality breakdown of Nelson’s crews that enabled his victories?

By the way, is that Simon Pegg on the right ? :)
He travels everywhere with salaried bouncers, like some prancing little Vicount Rothermere from the late 1930s. I’m not sure if it’s because it makes the chinless alcoholic look powerful by association or because he’s frightened another student is going to spill a milkshake on him. He’s a prannet.

He travels everywhere with salaried bouncers, like some prancing little Vicount Rothermere from the late 1930s. I’m not sure if it’s because it makes the chinless alcoholic look powerful by association or because he’s frightened another student is going to spill a milkshake on him. He’s a prannet.
Poltroon mit goons...

https://www.theguardian.com/society...nning-short-of-dozens-of-lifesaving-medicines
Brexit responsible for pharmacy shortages: I’m affected twice by this.
Thanks Brexit voters.

Brexit isn't mentioned in the Guardian article you linked. Got any evidence these problems are brexit related?

From the very same, 24 page leaked document, the BBC is reporting ...
"It's not only the UK that's affected. Shortages have also been reported in the United States and in a number of European countries including Poland, Denmark and Germany."
And an example of a specific drug...
"the company which makes Gabatril for the UK licence holder Teva, had production difficulties arising from a new packaging directive designed to prevent fake medication entering the UK market"

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-50465563

Maybe research into the source of this new packaging directive is in order?

Hi Brian, I’m sorry, you’re quite right. I was reading another article that warned of Brexit-related delays (it’s the second link) immediately before and conflated the two.

Also hospital treatments have been delayed for the same reason.
We’re heading for a perfect storm. The manpower hole in the NHS, the inevitable winter admissions crisis, now just add what the ERG, The Brexit Company and Johnson himself is really after- total Brexit and medicines and medical isotopes trapped because Kent is a giant car park. Which one of them was it that said “no one said Brexit was going to be easy”?

I'm currently reading this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Heroic-Failure-Brexit-Politics-Pain/dp/1789540984/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3BY8WNZOBXLTG&keywords=fintan+otoole+heroic+failure&qid=1573041361&sprefix=fintan,aps,275&sr=8-1

Fintan O'Toole is a columnist for The Irish Times, and I always enjoy his columns. I've only just started this book, but it's shaping up well. Essentially he puts England (which, after all, is Brexitland) on the psychiatrist's couch and examines why it had this breakdown. Now he is Irish, and the Irish have always been enthusiastic EEC/EU members, unlike the English, who, in general, reluctantly acceded to it and have remained uncomfortable with rules made by funny foreigners. Meaning that the account could be seen to be biased, especially given the long, unfortunate history between England and Ireland. However, some absolute gems of observations so far.

Tones, thanks for the recommendation, I've just started reading this. O'Toole starts by explaining Brexit as an act of self harm resulting from national self pity, borne from an English sense of entitlement/superiority combined with a perception that England has been treated unfairly by the EU (and foreigners in general). I find this very persuasive, and also very worrying. Worrying because I think the post Brexit trade negotiations will involve a huge amount of "unfair" treatment by trading partners who are in a much stronger position than little England. I foresee potential for many years of downward spiral in the English collective psyche - at least as long as it takes to drive it into the minds of a majority of the English that they are not special, don't deserve any deferential treatment from foreigners, and indeed, are not going to receive any.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I foresee potential for many years of downward spiral in the English collective psyche - at least as long as it takes to drive it into the minds of a majority of the English that they are not special, don't deserve any deferential treatment from foreigners, and indeed, are not going to receive any

If this is what it takes, then so be it. The illusion of English superiority must be shattered one way or another before they can move on as a nation.

If this is what it takes, then so be it. The illusion of English superiority must be shattered one way or another before they can move on as a nation.
There’s an urgent need for a pubic debate in these islands about the future but Trump, Bannon,Farage and various Russian kleptocracy need to be kept out. Otherwise this place is going to hell but maybe we’re there already.

advertisement

Back