advertisement

System pics 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very nice! Were the photos taken at different times? I seem to see a Garrard 301 there as well?

Can you comment on how the turntables compare? If I had more than 1 turntable in a system, I find that one usually gets used most of the time because I like it better than the rest.

The room

roomstitch_zpsatdif0se.jpg

The current TTs in use

dscf3277.jpg

Very nice! Were the photos taken at different times? I seem to see a Garrard 301 there as well?

Can you comment on how the turntables compare? If I had more than 1 turntable in a system, I find that one usually gets used most of the time because I like it better than the rest.

Many thanks. Yes photos taken at different times and I do have a Garrard 301 & Thorens TD124 which I rotate in from time to time.

I can't make up my mind out of 2 TTs which one. Problem is they have different arms and cartridges which are aimed at slightly different music. The Garrard for example has a Grace 12inch uni-pivot (G560) with a re-bodied Denon 103R and suits jazz/female vocal.
The L-07D has it's own arm with Hana SL but I can mount others too. Currently the Alphason is not really set up. The Onkyo has a Audiocraft AC3300 with Benz. Finally the SP10/P has FR64x with AT 33Evo II at present.
Each has it's strengths.
For subtly and airiness with slightly wider soundstage the Onkyo wins. Though it is a close call with the L-07D which I think is the best complete deck (arm included) made. The SP10 has drive, not a subtle as the other two.

The room

roomstitch_zpsatdif0se.jpg

The current TTs in use

dscf3277.jpg
Hi Gerry - great to finally see your system, especially with both the Onkyo and L-07D in place. Interesting that you're trying an Alphason as a 2nd arm: I've been using an SME V which works really well, but have wondered about alternatives. Difficult to get those secondary arm plates made up now though, with Vantage having disappeared into the mist...

Hi Gerry - great to finally see your system, especially with both the Onkyo and L-07D in place. Interesting that you're trying an Alphason as a 2nd arm: I've been using an SME V which works really well, but have wondered about alternatives. Difficult to get those secondary arm plates made up now though, with Vantage having disappeared into the mist...

Theo good to hear from you. Been a while. Yes pity about Vantage and the arm plate, though they are not too difficult to make TBH.
6mm aluminum plate and a couple of 10 or 15mm rods. Painting is the difficult bit...colour matching which Richard did superbly.
Never tried an SME V or the likes. I have heard them on Avid TTs and never liked the sound which has prejudiced me somewhat I fear. An arm I have heard on the soon to be released TT which has impressed me is the Ortofon 309D 12" jobby with the Hana cartridge and also NWA cartridge. Staggering.
The Audiocraft is really a sublime arm which was mounted as the second arm on the L-07D. But it really is something else on the Onkyo. Rumor was Graham copied it for the original Phantom arms...

Nearly there.

The Yamaha CA-1010 is home again, and sounding wonderful. Just need to decide on a new rack, and tidy up the wires hanging from the TV. Oh, and need to decide whether I can dispense with an AV amp (currently the Naim n-Vi) and run everything using the Media PC with built-In DAC Card.

25651905697_9ab8ba3a4c_c.jpg

No exotic stuff in my system, mostly black boxes from Scotland. I’ve been using Linn gear (LK series) for over 25 years and last year decided to spend some of my pension payout to upgrade to an Akurate Exakt setup.

Main system now consists of
Melco HA-N1
Linn Akurate DSM
Linn Akurate Exaktbox 10
Linn Akurate 4200
and the latest addition just before Christmas last year
a pair of Kudos Super 20A in Santos Rosewood - I loved these before I had even heard them - thankfully they do not disappoint :D

Surround system
Linn Exotik Pre-amp / Processor
Linn Akurate 4200
Linn AV5120 centre
Linn AV5110 surrounds

I’ve also just bought a Moon Neo Ace to drive a pair of Castle Trent II speakers in the dining room. The Castles will be updated sometime but I’m enjoying them with the Moon.

Kudos Super 20A front by John Payne, on Flickr
23GLvrm

System 2018 by John Payne, on Flickr
24Pzokr

This figuring on this veneer is very special and the quality of finish is suberb. These are the speakers that Kudos sent to dealers for demos and I was very lucky to get hold of them :)

No exotic stuff in my system, mostly black boxes from Scotland. I’ve been using Linn gear (LK series) for over 25 years and last year decided to spend some of my pension payout to upgrade to an Akurate Exakt setup.

Main system now consists of
Melco HA-N1
Linn Akurate DSM
Linn Akurate Exaktbox 10
Linn Akurate 4200
and the latest addition just before Christmas last year
a pair of Kudos Super 20A in Santos Rosewood - I loved these before I had even heard them - thankfully they do not disappoint :D

System 2018 by John Payne, on Flickr
24Pzokr

Very nice John - I'm not too familiar with the Linn electronics, but with the Exaktbox and 4200 are you driving the speakers actively ?

James

The Exaktbox is effectively a stereo digital active DAC, mine has 10 channels which is overkill for the Kudos speakers - I really only need 4. The DSM sends the digital signal to the Exaktbox via an ethernet cable where it is processed and converted. There's a lot of stuff happening in the Exaktbox that I will never understand - all I can say is that the music it provides is absolutely stunning,

The Exaktbox is effectively a stereo digital active DAC, mine has 10 channels which is overkill for the Kudos speakers - I really only need 4. The DSM sends the digital signal to the Exaktbox via an ethernet cable where it is processed and converted. There's a lot of stuff happening in the Exaktbox that I will never understand - all I can say is that the music it provides is absolutely stunning,

Understood. Very neat :cool:

Like the look of those Kudos speakers.

@Whaleblue would have never put you down as an NS1000 fan, bit of a departure from those big ATC's

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back