advertisement

System pics 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
My room is 4.2 (into the bay) and 3.95 wide. There's a chimney breast though and music shelves either side of it.

All in the same room ...

28033272958_4556e9f5d3_c.jpg

28033273058_57c3aa05c0_c.jpg

41185730974_136346d9dc_c.jpg

28033272618_31d9972da9_c.jpg

28033272818_5e2feac6d5_c.jpg

28033272778_63ddd625db_c.jpg

In the process of moving homes, and following this thread just designing a rack from diverse great pieces of shelving wood to pull the kit into order.

Somewhat surprised no one has shown the old Quad approach of teak sleeves and a hidden poweramp.... i recall these from HFN magazines... built in horns and 303's plastered into the old fireplace was one example..... much higher WaF pics might be very helpful

Hell froze over, hell sounds a lot better recently... took a bit of planning, mostly “recent vintage” gear
  • Conrad Johnson Premiere 12
  • Copland CT301Mk2 Preamp (with MM phono)
  • B&W800 D2s
Sources:
  • DIY Turntable as usual
  • Raspberry Pi/Allo Kali Reclocker/Piano 2.1 DAC
  • (Piano to be replaced with a Buffalo Mk3 fed from the Kali clock supporting multiple inputs

Excuse me while I go topless

Tube Preamp - not a single transistor in the analog chain, this is an absolute beauty.

DIY TT. DIY Arm. Modded DL103. 3 x Synchronous Motors. PSU. Dub, Bass. Priorities

Same room, same speakers. It’s not too crowded at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hell froze over, hell sounds a lot better recently... took a bit of planning, mostly “recent vintage” gear
  • Conrad Johnson Premiere 12
  • Copland CT301Mk2 Preamp (with MM phono)
  • B&W800 D2s
Sources:
  • DIY Turntable as usual
  • Raspberry Pi/Allo Kali Reclocker/Piano 2.1 DAC
  • (Piano to be replaced with a Buffalo Mk3 fed from the Kali clock supporting multiple inputs

I bet that lot sounds very nice. How does it compare to the Devialet you had?

Now THAT is some auditorium ! You could have got bigger speakers in there, though.:). C-J 'PremierE 40 or C-J 'Premier' 40 ? The second sounds more logical as the words have totally different meanings and parts of speech; I don't know, though.

Claire, love the Copeland, good stuff. Rare to see one in the black finish too, at least over here across the pond anyway!

What speakers are hidden behind the Quads Werner? Proac...?

D40R, my regular speakers.

I have had the Quads refurbished three years ago and never even tried them. I rectified this last week. They are very good. Much better than the 63s I had in the same room, and IMO also better than the German refurbished ones.

I tried three preamps in the same extended session, all of broadly 90s similar vintage: an Audio Research SP15 a Conrad Johnson Premier Fourteen (with the weird clicky volume control) and the Copland, this sounded better to me than the other two — plus it has a really lovely phono stage MM only so only needs a SUT or a 1:10 amplifier before the RIAA. Vinyl is just an added bonus but will become more important as I resigned from all streaming services a few months ago. I'm done with hairshirt.

Somewhere along the journey I forgot that preamps are more than just a channel switcher can reveal an important part to the musical soundfield not there when the preamp is not there -- so it very much contributes its part to the whole.

If I had to use words I would describe it as a very friendly comfortable sound that makes you blink when a musician has an outburst

Off to IKEA for a small record cabinet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back