advertisement

Metal

Metal is certainly very testing of a system, the one that sounds lush with John Martyn's Solid Air playing away may well collapse into a mess when some double kick drums and distorted guitars rip through the mix.

I allways use some metal when listening to a new system. Often a bit of Trivium

The system must be able to handle good fast bass with no overhang or boom and still have an open treble and not loose the high hats in a wall of mush.
What tracks do you use?
Jay

I always choose Riftwalkers "Green and Black" as a personal reference. It's the bass guitar performance and how it sits in the overall mix.

When auditioning a load of speakers not long back, I used a track from Dismember's Like an Everflowing Stream, and I've used the title track from Osculum Obscenum by Hypocrisy too.

If a system can't get that Svensk Dødsmetall guitar sound right (amongst other aspects), it's won't be the right system for me, even if it does other things I value (eg solo piano) brilliantly. Likewise some black metal like classic Mayhem or Darkthrone - it has to not be a painful trebly mess, which some equipment can make it, even if the same equipment is good at other things.

I've also used tracks from La Masquerade Infernale by Arcturus a few times - the production isn't a million quid job, but they were going to something really big nonetheless, and it can be instructive how a system tries to sort that out.

Weirdly when I had a pair of P3ESRs at home on demo, I thought they were particularly good at heavy-ish stuff (from Type O Negative to Carcass/At The Gates), yet fell short on solo piano. Just goes to show there's no substitute for trying things out for yourself.

Metal was my first love musically.
Tastes diversify and I listen to all sorts these days.

Don't have time to keep with much of the current metal scene - most of the current stuff sounds awfully generic.
Currentish metal I do like- Primordial, High on Fire, Amon Amarth, Crowbar

Slayer's Reign in Blood Is an excellent system tester

I am looking forward to the new Primordial adamk this month, the new track "To Hell or the Hangman" from the album sounds promising.

Other recent I personally enjoyed albums from last year...

Immolation "Atonement"
Der Weg Einer Freiheit "Finisterre"
Replacire "Do Not Deviate"
Wormwitch "Strike Mortal Soil"
Necrot "Blood Offerings"

never was a Immolation fan and still am not. will check out the rest!

Other recent I personally enjoyed albums from last year...

Immolation "Atonement"
Der Weg Einer Freiheit "Finisterre"
Replacire "Do Not Deviate"
Wormwitch "Strike Mortal Soil"
Necrot "Blood Offerings"

La Masquerade Infernale by Arcturus, one of The Albums to own! be it 80s pop, rock, metal or whatever

so out there, so masterful

When auditioning a load of speakers not long back, I used a track from Dismember's Like an Everflowing Stream, and I've used the title track from Osculum Obscenum by Hypocrisy too.

If a system can't get that Svensk Dødsmetall guitar sound right (amongst other aspects), it's won't be the right system for me, even if it does other things I value (eg solo piano) brilliantly. Likewise some black metal like classic Mayhem or Darkthrone - it has to not be a painful trebly mess, which some equipment can make it, even if the same equipment is good at other things.

I've also used tracks from La Masquerade Infernale by Arcturus a few times - the production isn't a million quid job, but they were going to something really big nonetheless, and it can be instructive how a system tries to sort that out.

Weirdly when I had a pair of P3ESRs at home on demo, I thought they were particularly good at heavy-ish stuff (from Type O Negative to Carcass/At The Gates), yet fell short on solo piano. Just goes to show there's no substitute for trying things out for yourself.

It's a bit hysterical on both sides. On one way of looking at it, it essentially boils down to 'guy performs with a massive swastika painted on himself to piss people off, and then gets annoyed that people are pissed off at him'.

It is a bit more nuanced than that to be fair, because the antifa lot have in some cases been rather hysterical themselves, and sometimes at undeserving targets as far as I'm aware. And their thuggishness is problematic. Plus of course he has a point that BM isn't intended to be about being nice. As such, using a hateful symbol has a certain artistic point. I'm not defending the use of the swastika, just making a general point about ugliness in art.

But reverence for Naziism does have a foothold in parts of the BM world, despite IMO being antithetical to BM. And (thus) using swastikas in that way when the likely interpretation and reaction are so predictable is a choice made to court controversy more than create art, again IMO.

He's actually a decent enough guy as far as I'm aware, even if he has made the odd (what I would consider) silly choice. But the issues discussed in the article are just as much a consequence of those silly choices as they are of intolerance and hair triggers on any perceived 'other side'. There are other ways to express virtually the same sentiment (and here I'm assuming that the 'artistic ugliness' motivation was at work, rather than political sympathy) without loss of validity.

Well said Dave, I was going to post a rant about "artistic freedom..blah..people and personal choices..blah..blah" but you've summed up my thoughts exactly.
The guy admits it wasn't the best thing his ever done but the reaction is OTT, the thing is with BM if I don't agree with the bands message/imagery I won't buy it... simples, but Taake have never come across as politically motivated but tbh I have never "studied" the lyrics, I can't speak Norwegian!

I cant say that I have heard many of the bands mentioned in this thread. Interesting reading nonetheless. It prompted me to dig out some Judas Priest, Sinner playing now and LOUD!

Only manufacturers I can think of are Grado and Exposure.
I am thinking about some new phones (I have Grado SR80 presently) but on some other blogs guys are trumpeting the Meze 99 classics for metal.
I didn't know about Exposure, I heard a pre/power combo a number of years back through some OB1 and didn't like it...haven't considered them since.

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom