advertisement

Metal

Another metaller here. Try to dip my toe into most sorts of metal but my “current flavours of the month” are Mgla and Inquisition, don’t think the latter have produced a bad album, although the vocal style divides audiences (even in the metal scene).
Jjjjjeeeezzz, totally agree Blackmetalboon, "Exercises in Futilily" and "With Hearts Toward None" are amazing, got them both on vinyl. Also the last Inquisition vinyl is a favourite of mine. Someone has pointed me towards the Untervoid who has links to Mgla thru Kriegsmaschine. No Solace produce some top sounds.
Its good to know so many guys with real taste are here on PFM :)

There are lots of new bands mentioned that i am not aware of, How about a list of newer metal bands that are genuinely doing something of their own?

Not so new but Volbeat from denmark have a fairly unique sound

I spend a lot of time listening to this German radio station - good selection of old and new and I am trying to learn German so it is a good excuse http://antenneheavy.radio.net/

What do you recommend?

Jay

I know of Volbeat Jay, they are building a large following. Germany is producing some fine "new boundries" stuff at the moment, recent ones that personally have stood out are Verheerer "Maltrer", Ophis "The Dismal Circle" and Vamacara "Mantras...", all top drawer. There is alot of fine "unique" metal bands out there IMO....I will post as they spring to mind as I can't list them in one go! Keep the recommendations coming guys....

Black is where my heart beats, when I listen to Dodecahedrons "Kwintessens" it sends me into places I can't describe; the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end.

I bought this at the end of last year(?), ripped it and still haven’t listened to it! It’s going on next.

Hey Blackmetalboon, seriously check out the Verheerer and Inconcessus Lux Lucis from Manchester, their latest "The Crowning Quietus" is something special IMO, both have great artworks on vinyl too :)

Hey ssheavy, WitTR are a band I have never got around to checking out, has the recent one caused some division amongst fans? Another similar highly rated band I need to look at is Fen, I think I need to start at the beginning with both.
Archspire are a touch to technical for me, an amazing band, the nearest thing I have which I enjoy is Origin, I really to rate their "Omnipresent" release.
Checking out the Sacred Man which I have added to my wishlist and sounds promising, as for the Aquilus I am loving the atmosphere they are creating... mixing Floyd rhythms with symphonic keyboards/vocals....very nice indeed, how did I miss this one!
Check out https://shroudritual.bandcamp.com/album/five-suns
You might just like this, no vocals but heavenly....
Thanks for the links :), keep them coming.

Be afraid....very afraid!

Had a listen last night, hard to describe. Sounds like DHG and Meshuggah playing free form Jazz!

Hey Blackmetalboon, seriously check out the Verheerer and Inconcessus Lux Lucis from Manchester, their latest "The Crowning Quietus" is something special IMO, both have great artworks on vinyl too :)

When I get time I’ll check them out, thanks.

Loads of suggestions coming through, thanks for the links - great to see new talent.
The vocal style in doom / black metal has always put me off exploring the genre. A friend at work who is a singing teacher tells me it is called "screamo" - i can't get the Cookie Monster out of my head when i hear it;)

Any suggestions for non English language metal? I can start this off with Breed77, Electric Eel shock and of course Rammstein

Keep them coming
Jay

sacred son... beach/sunshine dude and black metal ;):):eek:

Fen is uk bm if i remember correctly. pretty awesome

Hey ssheavy, WitTR are a band I have never got around to checking out, has the recent one caused some division amongst fans? Another similar highly rated band I need to look at is Fen, I think I need to start at the beginning with both.
Archspire are a touch to technical for me, an amazing band, the nearest thing I have which I enjoy is Origin, I really to rate their "Omnipresent" release.
Checking out the Sacred Man which I have added to my wishlist and sounds promising, as for the Aquilus I am loving the atmosphere they are creating... mixing Floyd rhythms with symphonic keyboards/vocals....very nice indeed, how did I miss this one!
Check out https://shroudritual.bandcamp.com/album/five-suns
You might just like this, no vocals but heavenly....
Thanks for the links :), keep them coming.

Loads of suggestions coming through, thanks for the links - great to see new talent.
The vocal style in doom / black metal has always put me off exploring the genre. A friend at work who is a singing teacher tells me it is called "screamo" - i can't get the Cookie Monster out of my head when i hear it;)

Any suggestions for non English language metal? I can start this off with Breed77, Electric Eel shock and of course Rammstein

Keep them coming
Jay
One that immediately springs to mind Jay is TID https://thesignrecords.bandcamp.com/album/tid-fix-id, its quality, give it a try.
more will spring to mind given time! Lots of suggestions in the bm genre, to many to mention....

Away from BM for the moment guys recent cds that I have recently enjoyed are:

Black Anvil "As Was"
Dyscarnate "With All Their Might"
A Hill to Die Upon "Via Artis Via Mortis" and the absolutely awesome Benighted "Necrobreed"

There are lots of new bands mentioned that i am not aware of, How about a list of newer metal bands that are genuinely doing something of their own?

Not so new but Volbeat from denmark have a fairly unique sound

I spend a lot of time listening to this German radio station - good selection of old and new and I am trying to learn German so it is a good excuse http://antenneheavy.radio.net/

What do you recommend?

Jay

Hey Jay, just thought of Vulture Industries; you might just like them...quite unique and their latest "The Tower" is loved by many. Let me know what you think :)

I played Metallica - Kill Em All, Master of Puppets and Ride the Lightning to death In my teens.

Not so long back I played Ramstein a hell of a lot too.

Heads up anyone with their hearts in doom, Aural have just announced pre-orders on Messa and King Goat.
The last two releases from these bands were excellent the King Goat especially so. I got my copy of cd and vinyl from the KG directly on Bandcamp last time and had a personal Thankyou message too :)

I totally understand, I am hearing todays metal as though it is fresh so I don't hear the influences as much as you Dave. But I am now hearing influences that are just obvious....then you mention Deathspell Omega! S**t, they are monumental, do check out their recent Dave, IMO, they are getting better with every release. I haven't checked out the latest Portal yet but intend too as soon as....do me a favour check out The King is Blind and let me know what you think.

Yeah I've got Synarchy, I just don't think they've managed to surpass the brilliance of the track Abscission from Paracletus. That's one of my all time favourite songs. I'll have to give the new one a few more listens.

If you like that sort of thing, and haven't checked it out so far, it's worth hearing some latter day Gorguts. By latter day I mean anything from Obscura onwards. Colored Sands is their latest conventional album I believe, and very good it is too.

Will check out The King is Blind.

advertisement

Back