advertisement

Is Naim snake oil?

Been thinking of upgrading from my trusty Quad 909, so have started looking at Naim amps. I must say I find some of their recommendations and ethos a bit suspect, such as:

Happy to hear your thoughts.
My thoughts are that you have to decide whether you are convinced that the differences in enjoyment you experience when listening to recorded music are primarily down to differences in the electronic equipment, and whether you want to make buying bits of electronic equipment a hobby. If so, you need the services of manufacturers willing to find ways of providing a range of add-ons with a vaguely plausible story around them so that you can keep buying stuff, getting excited about it, noticing that you are more excited about listening to music when hearing the new toy and hungry for the next fix.
There are manufacturers who don't sell snake oil, but it's not easy to base a hobby around buying one of their components every 20 years or so. So, there are varying degrees of snake oil, but it is worth bearing in mind that supply and demand are connected.

No not really, you see the Micromega parts were no longer available [same for the Pink Triangle Dac], and even if they had been, would the resale value of the Micromega justified the repair cost had the parts been available? Especially as by then they had a reputation for being unreliable. Not so the Naim.

My point related to what drew you to purchase the product in the first place. As I'm conducting this conversation from work I think it's about time I got on with some so I will respectfully decline to engage further. There you go - fill your boots. ;)

I had reason to call NAIM to place an order from the dealership I was working in.. on the day that Julian Vereker passed away. Not surprisingly, they weren't especially interested in doing business that day. I naturally respected that.

A few more years, with the onset of Alzheimer's and a general thinning out of the 'old brigade' - we'll lose strangely pointless anecdotes like this.

Well you've got to hand it to them when it comes to marketing and brand awareness! Every thread on Naim gets huge participation and interest! I seem to recall a thread a few years back where someone said Naim were changing the colour of the power on LED and it provoked about a 30 page debate!

If I said I'd just come up with the worlds best amp and only £500 I'd probably get about 5 replies! As I said earlier in the thread, from a sales POV, brand is everything!

A few more years, with the onset of Alzheimer's and a general thinning out of the 'old brigade' - we'll lose strangely pointless anecdotes like this.
Fear not, I'm only 32 and have plenty of pointless anecdotes ready for when I graduate to the 'old brigade' :cool:

Well you've got to hand it to them when it comes to marketing and brand awareness! Every thread on Naim gets huge participation and interest! I seem to recall a thread a few years back where someone said Naim were changing the colour of the power on LED and it provoked about a 30 page debate!

If I said I'd just come up with the worlds best amp and only £500 I'd probably get about 5 replies! As I said earlier in the thread, from a sales POV, brand is everything!

I am getting good results from a Teddy Pardo power supply for my CDX2, and it is relatively cheap. Could you do better? But I suppose that power supplies are irrelevant? There may be a good market.

Really !
Their REIMAGINE marketing was a joke as later it showed up they had massive issues and not able to deliver working units.

Later on they faced their costly mistake launching a non-finished product, prices just increased and this was heavily discussed, not only the die hardest sheep commented.

As for "worlds best amp" weren't you involved in early Musical Fidelity amplication design ?
The little A1 was nice (when working)

I am getting good results from a Teddy Pardo power supply for my CDX2, and it is relatively cheap. Could you do better? But I suppose that power supplies are irrelevant? There may be a good market.

The TP supplies are good but yes I can make one just as good or better. I don't want to join the whole Naimee thing though as there are plenty of people doing it already...whether or not it's a good idea to put a 27 Ohm resistor between a regulated supply and its load or not...

I have a Dyson and a Miele, my missus prefers the Miele but I like the Dyson, should we seek counselling?
No, you should just admit you're wrong and appologise...then let her do the vacuuming with the superior Miele as you're clearly not competent :D

Really !
Their REIMAGINE marketing was a joke as later it showed up they had massive issues and not able to deliver working units.

Later on they faced their costly mistake launching a non-finished product, prices just increased and this was heavily discussed, not only the die hardest sheep commented.

As for "worlds best amp" weren't you involved in early Musical Fidelity amplication design ?
The little A1 was nice (when working)

The A1 design was by TdP of EAR but yes I worked for MF.

advertisement

Back