advertisement

Power Cables. Are they overhyped? Part II: Electric Boogaloo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every piece of equipment is flawed to some degree, there is no such thing as the perfect amp or speaker or .....they will all dilute the sound to some degree from the original recording & performance. The good one's allow through the original intent of the musician, this is the where the great designers differ from the average.

And what about instrumental and vocal timbre? - i.e. tonal colour?

Or do you think there is a generic piano sound, a generic violin sound, cello sound, trumpet sound, and so on...

Of course if you only listen to electronic instruments, then none of that matters.. :)

Over the years I (and others) have heard changes with mains cables with this equipment.

Plinius, Perreaux, Naim (various) Ming DA, Cambridge (CD) ARCAM (cd)
VTL, Line Magnetic, MF, among others.

Which, if any of these are poorly designed?

Mr ED

When you did the listening/comparing, did you use controlled testing methods to eliminate bias due to psycho-acoustics? :)

Manufacturers do listening tests on the stock mains leads they supply.
Naim for example preferred Crabtree. Unable to explain the difference they set their engineers on it. They worked out it was the loose coupling of the pins. This led them to develop their powerline upgrade.
Source
"The old Crabtree UK plugs are no longer made - the new ones labelled as "Crabtree" are nothing like the old ones. If you have found NOS then good for you!

Naim switched to MK as the next best thing, and indeed had used them nay times before when supply of the Crabtree plugs had been intermittent. Out of interest, it was some modifications made to the Crabtree plug by some at Naim that eventually led to development of the Powerline plug, albeit the latter went much, much further. It was found that by allowing the pins a small amount of movement it let them align better with the contacts within the UK sockets, giving a larger and more secure contact and commensurately better performance. "

Naim for example preferred Crabtree. Unable to explain the difference they set their engineers on it. They worked out it was the loose coupling of the pins. This led them to develop their powerline upgrade.
Source
"The old Crabtree UK plugs are no longer made - the new ones labelled as "Crabtree" are nothing like the old ones. If you have found NOS then good for you!

Naim switched to MK as the next best thing, and indeed had used them nay times before when supply of the Crabtree plugs had been intermittent. Out of interest, it was some modifications made to the Crabtree plug by some at Naim that eventually led to development of the Powerline plug, albeit the latter went much, much further. It was found that by allowing the pins a small amount of movement it let them align better with the contacts within the UK sockets, giving a larger and more secure contact and commensurately better performance. "

Well there we are, perhaps it's the higher quality plugs that come with the better quality cable that makes for differences to the sound

Better engineered than the "kettle lead" so they sound different'

Mr ED

Well there we are, perhaps it's the higher quality plugs that come with the better quality cable that makes for differences to the sound

Better engineered than the "kettle lead" so they sound different'

Mr ED

So it would stand to reason that soldering the internal plug to wire connections including soldering the fuse in place would add to making a larger contact area.

So it would stand to reason that soldering the internal plug to wire connections including soldering the fuse in place would add to making a larger contact area.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think I read that solder is not a good idea with mains.

Come to Australia - we don't have fuses in our plugs - so even better.. :)

Do you own a regenerator

I do. Thank you for asking. It ensures the sine wave and voltage is constant and of the same quality regardless of the supply to my home. Sounds same day and night. I don't have you on my ignore list but I do ignore most of your excessive number of uninformative posts. :)

Over the years I (and others) have heard changes with mains cables with this equipment.

Plinius, Perreaux, Naim (various) Ming DA, Cambridge (CD) ARCAM (cd)
VTL, Line Magnetic, MF, among others.

Which, if any of these are poorly designed?

Mr ED
The listeners, suffering a form of pathetic fallacy. I have written a complaint to the designer

Source

I think there is quite a difference between improving a poor quality plug with loose pins and some of the foo that's sold.

I think there is quite a difference between improving a poor quality plug with loose pins and some of the foo that's sold.

1. MK & Crabtree do NOT have reputations as being poor quality mains plugs.
2. BUT Naim engineers could "HEAR" a problem.
3. Naim engineers traced to route cause and then fixed the issue with a relatively expensive cable for most.

So which is this? Selling a foo cable or fixing an mechanic problem??

Why don't you just give up and enjoy Bank Holiday Monday. ;-)

Naim does pay specific attention to dealing with external vibration. This extends to the loose coupling on inputs, including the mains, and bayonet mount of the pcb.

I remember their approach to mounting a DAC chip on a felt pad because of it's susceptibility to vibration quite some years ago. So at least they are consistent.

This, however, is *not* the premise being put forward here, which is RFI affecting the performance of the audio system.

It's important not to wander off the hypothesis as to what causes any deterioration in sound.

Why were the results presented to you Jim for the Russ Andrews test, I must have missed something somewhere here, save me going back over this. Who sent them to you.

Posting 767 in this thread is when I refound that:

The "Response to ASA Ruling 19th Sept 2008" gives a contact for 'more details' as being Phil Hansen at Red Sheep Communications.

He pointed me at another document and send me a 'doc' version. He also told me about the "WeavePaperGraphsDoc.pdf" and gave me the URL for it... which now seems broken.

IIRC the doc file was the text of the above PDF. But the PDF has photos of the test setup and graphs of all the results.

If Simon of RA agrees, I'd be happy to make copies of all the stuff I have from them available. But the above is plastered all over with "copyright Ben Duncan" on every graph, etc. It *was* on the web and I gave a URL which worked at the time. It may have been moved simply when they updated their website. But I can't assume I can make it public without their agreement.

The graph I execerpted from the other documet does summarise the same results. But it doesn't really detail or show how the measurements were done.

Naim does pay specific attention to dealing with external vibration. This extends to the loose coupling on inputs, including the mains, and bayonet mount of the pcb.

I remember their approach to mounting a DAC chip on a felt pad because of it's susceptibility to vibration quite some years ago. So at least they are consistent.

This, however, is *not* the premise being put forward here, which is RFI affecting the performance of the audio system.

It's important not to wander off the hypothesis as to what causes any deterioration in sound.

*Wrong* - The main discussion point is that mains cables have a discernible effect in some environments / conditions for experienced listeners.

Suggestions for possible causes include RFI, vibration, earthing etc etc. That is all - just suggestions.

I stated I have listened to amps costing into the thousands that have under performed against some costing a few hundred blind, the Rega brio 3 being one such amp. You would be better off asking Rega regarding the specific design of this amp & the sacrifices made along the way, it sounds superb though, whatever was compromised, it wasn't the sound quality, but that's just my personal view on it, many agree it is a great little budget amp that sounds way above it's price.

I am pretty familiar with this particular amp.

It is a competent and pleasant budget amp, but limited in power.

It was fine with speakers like Rega ELA, XEL, Naos. Standmount speakers like Dynaudio, Harbeth P3 ESR, M30.1, presented a more challenging load and it did run out of steam a bit.

Comparing with an amp like the Nait XS2, which has a stiffer power supply and better regulation, showed the limitations of the Brio.

*Wrong* - The main discussion point is that mains cables have a discernible effect in some environments / conditions for experienced listeners.

Suggestions for possible causes include RFI, vibration, earthing etc etc. That is all - just suggestions.

Acknowledged. The point I picked up on was Alan Sircoms, and Jim pointed to articles to try and examine this.

I do think it's worth focussing on just one cause at a time, and trying to isolate just that factor. Otherwise we are in the realms of too many variables; too many test environments; and the problem would persist.

As weird as it sounds, I'm not that bothered on the outcome. I'm a process and test engineer at heart, so it's method and conditions of test which interest me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back