advertisement

Power Cables. Are they overhyped? Part II: Electric Boogaloo

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the point though, the amps you refer to as "improved" by certain mains cables are hindered by the fact that they are sensitive (in a negative way) to subtle mains condition variations.
In your opinion of course.

The penny may drop at some point, I won't hold my breath in the meantime.

I would imagine, if you tested the Rega amp I use, amongst others, you would hear no such improvement
Are we there yet?

PS/ did the cable arrive :D

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I have built amps, but it couldn't be less relevant.

This is so straw man it beggars belief.

The point in question was some claim that the amplifiers they use, or have used, are sensitive to subtle changes in mains conditions. Using certain mains leads allegedly improved this.

I wasn't saying that the Muse model 200 sounded better with certain mains cables, it sounded better with a big ass dc filter or mains regeneration. No amount of passive cable swapping made on iota of difference.

I realise others may have made claims to the contrary. I was just highlighting that a shit amp cannot, ime, be fixed with fancy cables with no sound engineering basis.

Your right they sound much better with a £ 30 price tag.

I wonder where the majority of 'bog standard' kettle leads supplied with audio kit come from ?

Why would a loose pin alloy a better connection in a plug, surely all slightly misaligned would give greater contact pressure?

If manufactures have a shit they'd hard wire for fewer connections...

Endless upgrade path? No, there is a limit.

Another poster going on and on against Naim. They're still in business, which is better than many companies. Better? Maybe, but probably just different. Plenty of people on this forum have tried 'better' only to return. A bit like emigrating to Oz. Some prefer, some hate it, neither choice is wrong, right or better.

What is THE most expensive 'hifi' mains lead? I bet it's orders of magnitude more expensive than anything from Naim.
Now come on! You should know by now they HATE success on here!

Care to share.

More than happy to - but can you first give your definition of "design"?

A lot of audiophile "designers" simply take a circuit from a manufacturers application note, or use ready-made modules, and the actual "design" part is coming up with an interesting-looking enclosure and some exotic but irrelevant auxiliary components for proper cred. Does that qualify too?

More than happy to - but can you first give your definition of "design"?

A lot of audiophile "designers" simply take a circuit from a manufacturers application note, or use ready-made modules, and the actual "design" part is coming up with an interesting-looking enclosure and some exotic but irrelevant auxiliary components for proper cred. Does that qualify too?
Foruma nervosa in all it's glory

How many have you dropped ?

Rhodium plated IEC plug £ 1.86 you would be a phool not to market these,
foil and braid 2.5mm 3 core mains cable £ 1.20 /Metre.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=272556699603

£ 40/500 per Metre cable to you sir.

Oops forgot the snakeskin effect outer braid £ 0.60/M

Make a difference ?

Of couse it does with that kind of mark up.
Ok, so same cable can be made for a tenner right, the seller sells it for £500, which cable is a rip off

Penny almost there?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
How many have you dropped ?

Rhodium plated IEC plug £ 1.86 you would be a phool not to market these,
foil and braid 2.5mm 3 core mains cable £ 1.20 /Metre.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=272556699603

£ 40/500 per Metre cable to you sir.

Oops forgot the snakeskin effect outer braid £ 0.60/M

Make a difference ?

Of couse it does with that kind of mark up.
Ok, so same cable can be made for a tenner, right, the seller sells it for £500, which cable is the rip off?

You have it all upside down & back to front as many others do here.

A Naim Nait 5si sells for £500 then buyer sells to someone else for £3,000, which is the shit amp.

You have it all upside down & back to front as many others do here.

So if you remove the lid from an amp which is transformed by said cable, what cable do you find from the IEC inlet to the transformer ? shielded ? mono crystal copper ? - no.

So the cable on the pylon to your house is bog standard ( not even copper), the cable in your wall is bog standard, the cable inside your amp is bog standard.

But you are convinced that some magic cable between your wall socket and your amp is making a difference ?

The only possible difference it could make is by causing interference into your signal cables, assuming you use non shielded phono leads.

As many experts also say you only need balanced shielded signal cables in a studio or if you have long cable runs..

What are your thoughts on regenerators, surely these too are a waste of cash as any well designed amp should be able to cope with fluctuations in the power supply. I read a great post a little earlier from whatsnext, it's an absolute gem.

FWIW I see no virtue in poor design.

There are situations where the mains is so erratic and noisy they can be of use. Where I have lived it has never been necessary and I think it is uncommon for it to be necessary.

I dont know the quality of whatnexts main supply, but a well designed regen will eliminate problems that 1m of funky mains cable wont.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back