advertisement

"Theorise less, listen more and learn more"

I'm sure Marx also wrote : Joe Hutch's point to posts ratio's is sadly in decline in a manner analogous to the declining rate of profit .

Pedantic pointless posts , what is the point ?

Well, if you're going to quote Marx, you might as well quote him correctly, otherwise people might think you haven't read him at all and are in fact a capitalist running dog posing as a Marxist.

How would you and others feel if I were to say:

I tried that cable and it made no difference in fact I tried 8 different cables and none did?

Which is my experience despite the postings of ItemAudio. In fact I have one of the range that he sells as recommended arriving today if all goes well with post and I can explore the truth of his assertion -

People don't just post anti digital things for fun they equally have experiences that differ. Strange they are not allowed a voice as much as those who do hear miraculous things and tell others to try/use their favoured items

That is the point of a forum: to pool knowledge and opinion. It's just as important for you to report that USB cables made no difference for you as it is for others to say it did for them. Else what is this place for?

But right now we have a situation where people are inhibited about sharing their experience because they know a handful of (frankly, rude) posters with delusions of omniscience will jump on their case telling them they're ignorant, irrational or worse.

One often needs caution and tact
In pronouncing what's theory, what's fact.
The context reveals
the meaning one feels:
Common usage is rarely exact.

Sure. But likewise all the foo, woo and voodoo rather curtails the fun for any rational person.

Define rational?

Is it not rational for human beings to need to dream, to have unknowns in their otherwise humdrum existences?

Indeed is it not a human necessity as evidenced throughout history?

As a rational human being, were science able to predict the hour of your death, would you want to know?

whatsnext,

I tried that cable and it made no difference in fact I tried 8 different cables and none did?
I think you should try no less than 173 cables, of which at least 58 should cost more than 500 UKP, in the process bankrupt yourself, to prove item wrong.

Well, either that or go play a CD or something.

Joe

Not really we've had a group of monkeys who have found bananas on top of a ladder

How do we *know* that? :)

The point is much more about being entrenched in your view leads to no progress being made.

Of course. But my point is also that you won't ever make any progress if you go chasing every wild goose you see, over and over again. At some point there needs to be a good reason to waste time and energy if your current way of doing things is working OK.

Perhaps the second monkeys should be wondering why the first monkey is sure there is a banana there, rather than just telling him it isn't and it cannot be.

Unless the first monkey has a history crying wolf all the time.

whatsnext,

I think you should try no less than 173 cables, of which at least 58 should cost more than 500 UKP, in the process bankrupt yourself, to prove item wrong.

Well, either that or go play a CD or something.

Joe

You take me tooooo literally but thanks for sharing your opinions. BTW re backrupting a modest lottery win funded this investigation. Careful of your assumptions

That is the point of a forum: to pool knowledge and opinion. It's just as important for you to report that USB cables made no difference for you as it is for others to say it did for them. Else what is this place for?

But right now we have a situation where people are inhibited about sharing their experience because they know a handful of (frankly, rude) posters with delusions of omniscience will jump on their case telling them they're ignorant, irrational or worse.

Which is why forums like Steve Hoffman discourage objectivist/subjectivist debate. Here it's become commonplace.

Define rational?

I give you 3 relevant definitions (as we don't care about maths or chemistry at this point):

- Capable of reasoning. ("Man is a rational creature")
- Logically sound; not contradictory or otherwise absurd. ("His statements were quite rational")
- Healthy or balanced intellectually; exhibiting reasonableness. (of a person or personal characteristics)

Is it not rational for human beings to need to dream, to have unknowns in their otherwise humdrum existences?

Rational? Maybe. It might enhance the odds of survival for the human race, by allowing for mental exploration of possible scenarios. But I am not an evolutionary psychologist.

Indeed is it not a human necessity as evidenced throughout history?

Depends on your definition of "human necessity"? Is it something that humans do, no matter how you try to stop it? Yes. Is it something that is necessary for humans to survive? No.

As a rational human being, were science able to predict the hour of your death, would you want to know?

Yes. It would, among other things, help me pick what music to listen to next.

whatsnext,

BTW re backrupting a modest lottery win funded this investigation.
You blew a lottery win on wire when you were all but certain what the outcome would be?

That's dedication to the cause, though I can't help but wonder if a contribution to a charity or a little vacation might have been a better use of the money.

Joe

Which is why forums like Steve Hoffman discourage objectivist/subjectivist debate.

OK, so under such a regime, which one of these statements would not be allowed?

"pink cables sound better than green ones"

or

"we have not seen any evidence that the colour of a cable affects sound in any way, and according to current scientific knowledge, there is no objective reason for colour making any difference"

How do we *know* that? :)

Of course. But my point is also that you won't ever make any progress if you go chasing every wild goose you see, over and over again. At some point there needs to be a good reason to waste time and energy if your current way of doing things is working OK.

Unless the first monkey has a history crying wolf all the time.

Because there was a banana at the top in the first place. The scientist put it there to attract the very first monkeys up the ladder. So in this instance we do know there was a banana

That's probably in itself not relevant as with these debates we are the monkeys. We don't know if there is a banana there or not as if any one goes to try and discuss it the punch up that ensues when the banana is mentioned overrides everything.

So agreed it does become a waste of time in that sense

Which is why forums like Steve Hoffman discourage objectivist/subjectivist debate. Here it's become commonplace.

Is 'I can't hear any differences between cables' an objectivist stance? (ie if you have actually listened, and are not simply assuming that cables 'can't' sound any different).

I'm not sure what the answer is, really, unless you have a rule that no statement of opinion about anything audio-related can be challenged on any grounds.

We don't know if there is a banana there or not

Exactly. Now, if you are a monkey, what would be the best way to find out, without every single monkey having to climb the ladder, or the monkeys having to blindly trust one or a few of the monkeys?

I guess the easiest way is to go buy the latest issue of "The Superior Banana"...

I guess the easiest way is to go buy the latest issue of "The Superior Banana"...

LOL! Thanks I just sniggnered completely out of context in the office.

Exactly. Now, if you are a monkey, what would be the best way to find out, without every single monkey having to climb the ladder, or the monkeys having to blindly trust one or a few of the monkeys?

You can't, hence the complete pointlessness of these circular point scoring arguments.

We cannot bash people down for having an opinion one way or another we can only really state that our experiences are different and these are the reasons why. we believe what what we believe

This is going to be the black hole of arguments until we find the bananas.

Then of course we'll debate if the banana skin, or the ladder, or the scientist is the important part. We'll probably never ask why we are stuck in box with other monkeys, having a massive punch up over an imaginary or otherwise piece of yellow fruit ( or is banana technically) a vegetable?

advertisement

Back