advertisement

Ortofon's MC Anna and 12" arms

So I hear this tap-tap-tapping on my window pane, and who do you think it was? Bloody Greta Garbo...
Not only thorough discussion but also thread drift through British Comedy Classics?

Pretty good value I'd have thought.

Paul

If people talked only from actual experience this would be a very short thread....and it also explains why so much dubious comment has been made. Opinions are great when you aren't having to speak from genuine knowledge and experience.

Sorry if my views have upset you. I referred to reviews of the 30/12 (both published and unpublished) and indeed your own commentary on another forum. There's a trade-off, there is no doubt about this.

Sorry if my views have upset you. I referred to reviews of the 30/12 (both published and unpublished) and indeed your own commentary on another forum. There's a trade-off, there is no doubt about this.

The triumph of hope over experience. Dream on.

I'm gone from this thread.

Is this an official flounce?

I used 9inch arms for thirty years...then I bought a 12inch version of the SME 5. It was quite clearly better....smoother, sweeter and more 'musical' (sorry, bit vague!). The downside..it was less dynamic.

Less dynamic might be a way of saying "lifeless"?

The triumph of hope over experience. Dream on.

Masterly edit! Delete the entire post and replace with: am I bovvered?

You've invested a serious amount of money in your deck. I'm not surprised you are defending it. But I'm not really attacking it, I just chose a different one.

've invested a serious amount of money in your deck. I'm not surprised you are defending it. But I'm not really attacking it, I just chose a different one.

Please do not patronise me. I have owned both decks, I know what I am speaking about. If I thought the standard 30 was as good, I'd have been a happy man. It isn't, and everyone I know with experience of the two decks seems to hold a similar view..
You haven't owned either deck, you haven't even heard either deck. And yet you have repeatedly attacked one of them. It is quite literally true that you do not know what you are talking about. That's not an insult...it is a description of the situation.
BTW: Having first introduced a 'mystery guru' who conveniently can't ever be questioned or challenged, I note we now have the appearance of the 'unpublished review'..which course also can't be challenged because no-one has seen it.
What next, signs from the heavens?
I won't enter this debate again. It's like discussing books with someone who can't read.

Please do not patronise me. I have owned both decks, I know what I am speaking about. If I thought the standard 30 was as good, I'd have been a happy man. It isn't, and everyone I know with experience of the two decks seems to hold a similar view..
You haven't owned either deck, you haven't even heard either deck. It is quite literally true that you do not know what you are talking about. That's not an insult...it is a description of the situation.
BTW: Having first introduced a 'mystery guru' who conveniently can't ever be questioned or challenged, I note we now have the appearance of the 'unpublished review'..which course also can't be challenged because no-one has seen it.
What next, signs from the heavens?
I won't enter this debate again. Enjoy your 30, if it's led a long life make sure it is properly serviced. Then it should give many more years of excellent performance.

I don't think I was patronising you.

I just took independent advice from a person who has way more experience than anyone on this forum. I also read some reviews, including your own ("less dynamic"), and I made a decision. What I don't understand is why you even care what I chose. That's the really bizarre thing.

Anyway, the TT was sent yesterday from Steyning, ETA tomorrow.

On the subject of 12" arms , regardless of origin, I chose mine simply because using one results in better digital transfers.

It's interesting to see the Simon Yorke designs. His archival systems have been chosen by some of the largest sound archives, universities and radio stations around the world when looking for a solution for converting their precious vinyl into a digital format.

12" arms, and, more latterly, the PT design are de rigeur - and for good reason IME.

Viola%20pic6.jpg

The decks really are works of art IMHO.

As Markus says.

They are objects of beauty and I would love an S7 sitting in my living room regardless of it's sonic merits.

It's great advertising but there is no consensus; Sony used a specially built Rockport, the National Sound Archive in London used a Rock Reference, The Vienna State Opera uses an SME 30-12, the BBC uses a Technics SP10 . The only ones willing to pay serious money were Sony, but then they used to have serious money.
Goodness knows what cartridges they used, or what the criteria for selection were.

I'd rather have a Caliburn, or a Rockport, or an SME 30. I don't really buy into the Simon Yorke hype, nor the 12" tonearm hype. There's a definite (and well-documented) downside to the longer arms. You can deny it till you are blue in the face, but it is a fact. The upside is reduced tracking error, but this is negligible in any case with a decent 9" arm.

I've settled on an FR64s which is probably more like a 10" than a 9". Some geometrical advantage but just a better arm all round than my Series V.

I won't enter this debate again. It's like discussing books with someone who can't read.
But your apparent preference for speakers means you effectively speak a different language.

The GPA Monaco is the only sane choice for a modern expensive turntable. They actually have a cogent philosophy. Obviously to be teamed with an SME arm...

Paul

I've settled on an FR64s which is probably more like a 10" than a 9". Some geometrical advantage but just a better arm all round than my Series V.

I'm wondering about a Graham Phantom. Is this a good arm? Would it work OK on an SME 30?

advertisement

Back