advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XXIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks John

Question asked?

Graham

Graham,

Via PM"- "Would it possible for an experienced 10years + in DIY including SMD (thats me) to 'replace' (swap out) the existing 4 off resistors for the 'toy' set of 4 x Charcroft 120R resistors.

Having had a look, it looks quite straight forward...?"

I'll answer your question here as I don't mind answering in public :)

It takes about 2 to 3 hours to "upgrade" the earlier L2MDAC's to "Toy" Spec. as not only are the 4 resistors 120R change but 33 other modifications are made (mainly around the output stage itself). Emitter resistors, output stage protection and local output stage stability are improved... its an involved process.

this photo has scared me really .. should I look inside my new M-DAC or better not ..

Yes, it was a real mess - I'm only just finishing restoring it - the PCB has been badly damaged & parts swapped out... I'm happy with the results - it will work and look "perfect".

As I say out of many units I've seen, only two raised concern - Joke721 was the worst - Wad's was close behind!

The Fusion however really has something very special to its sound, a "purity" that so few products are able to achieve - its sounds closer to HQ Analogue :)

John, I find myself salivating like a dog when read comments like this...

appalling management

Pretty much sums up my 20 years of experiences of working in China.

One of the best books that was written as if though my eyes and experiences:-

"Poorly Made in China"

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0470928077/?tag=pinkfishmedia-20

"Poorly Made in China reveals industry secrets, including the dangerous practice of quality fade—the deliberate and secret habit of Chinese manufacturers to widen profit margins through the reduction of quality inputs"

Every instance and every character in the book I could relate to with my own personal experiences - I whole heartily recommend the book (it was so hard for me to read at times as I was living that very life!).

John, I don't even need a book to attest those experiences, they've sold poisoned milk powder for the infants, recycled oil from sewage and ditches for cooking in restaurants...... the malaise I think is deep rooted in a lack of free religious believes, lack of trust for the system and society they live in, and as a result a lack of feeling of safety for themselves and their families, all being vented into a lunatic single-minded goal of money making by all means. :(

One of the best books that was written as if though my eyes and experiences:-

"Poorly Made in China"

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0470928077/?tag=pinkfishmedia-20

"Poorly Made in China reveals industry secrets, including the dangerous practice of quality fade—the deliberate and secret habit of Chinese manufacturers to widen profit margins through the reduction of quality inputs"

Every instance and every character in the book I could relate to with my own personal experiences - I whole heartily recommend the book (it was so hard for me to read at times as I was living that very life!).

What's the alternative to getting stuff manufactured in China?

John, I don't even need a book to attest those experiences, they've sold poisoned milk powder for the infants, recycled oil from sewage and ditches for cooking in restaurants...... the malaise I think is deep rooted in a lack of free religious believes, lack of trust for the system and society they live in, and as a result a lack of feeling of safety for themselves and their families, all being vented into a lunatic single-minded goal of money making by all means. :(

Lack of religion has nothing to do with it. Lack of consumer legislation, regulation and accountability of officials/legislators to the people they are meant to serve have everything to do with it as well as undoubted corruption.

We were no different 100+ years ago with sand in brown sugar, salt in beer etc.

Lack of religion has nothing to do with it. Lack of consumer legislation, regulation and accountability of officials/legislators to the people they are meant to serve have everything to do with as well as undoubted corruption.

Indeed, horse meat in beef anyone...?

And as for the original religion statement...words fail me!

Indeed, horse meat in beef anyone...?

And as for the original religion statement...words fail me!

The horsemeat in beef was a scandal. Tesco and others were rapped for it and I doubt they will do it again. The difference is that in China everyone knows stuff like that and worse is happening but nothing will be done about it.

While we were over there, the stories John and Renata told us put us off going there, except Hong Kong. Best not slag them off too much though as they might get offended and refuse to supply any MDACs for modding. I KNOW they read this place.

Lack of religion has nothing to do with it. Lack of consumer legislation, regulation and accountability of officials/legislators to the people they are meant to serve have everything to do with as well as undoubted corruption.

Just as they have every kind of religions in this world, they have every legislation well written, but in execution the story can be very different, as you say, corruption plays a part.

John I'm not sure where I sit in the list for the L2 but hang on I'll go for the TOY version. I'll order the parts from Nick.

Oh, you take a few days away from PF and the MDAC evolves yet again.

So, what's the current best MDAC spec - Fusion or Toy? - and when I send my L1 modded MDAC back to John, do I need to be also including any self-sourced parts? If so, can anyone advise what I need and where to get them?

Thanks,

john

Hificollective sell kits... Toy is cheaper than fusion.. But fusion sounds like it's the one.... :)

Money isn't that much of an object for now (for once) so I'd rather just get it over and done with. However, having already had the MDAC back to John once for the L1 update (that I call MDAC++), I'd rather hang back and see if we end up with something beyond Fusion....

I don't mind sending the unit back and forth but it does mean that I'm unable to use the main system whilst it's away, unless I borrow the CDQ which I am meant to be selling....

John,
I bought my MDAC as new from a Finnish, reliable shop. What a shock! I will ask about the unit from the seller on Monday.
Thank you very much!
[
Joke721,

Whats the history of your unit - did you buy it new?
url]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/Joke721.JPG[/url]

Internally there has been rework performed at sometime that's really butchered your unit!!!!

Wondering if it was sold as B Grade stock or was shipped from the factory in this condition?

Its really heart breaking and makes me so upset to see my hard work so butchered - then passed onto an unaware customer...

I'll rework it and restore the PCB the best I can... They have even replace a high quality Organic capacitor with a standard E-Cap...

I'm really questing wither I'll ever work with China again - no matter how hard one tries, quality always gets aback seat :(

I should say that apart from yours and WAD's unit the MDAC's build quality has been good!

John,
I bought my MDAC as new from a Finnish, reliable shop. What a shock! I will ask about the unit from the seller on Monday.
Thank you very much!
[
As did I from a UK store, via a mate who worked there, so definitely a manufacturing issue...FYI I bought mine in May 2012

Graham,

Via PM"- "Would it possible for an experienced 10years + in DIY including SMD (thats me) to 'replace' (swap out) the existing 4 off resistors for the 'toy' set of 4 x Charcroft 120R resistors.

Having had a look, it looks quite straight forward...?"

I'll answer your question here as I don't mind answering in public :)

It takes about 2 to 3 hours to "upgrade" the earlier L2MDAC's to "Toy" Spec. as not only are the 4 resistors 120R change but 33 other modifications are made (mainly around the output stage itself). Emitter resistors, output stage protection and local output stage stability are improved... its an involved process.

Thanks John.....I just cant keep up (Monster Thread & work is a pain in the arse) with whats what and what is done to what and why, all good though ......

Graham

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back