advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XXIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Renata's about to post the units - I'm going to catchup on sleep after pulling an all nighter once again... I'll Email your tracking numbers later this evening.

...thanks for all the effort John :)

Much appreciated,

Will

Two questions.
- With all this attention to hardware upgrades, I would like to know if there's any gain in SQ to be expected from future software updates (if any??). Got the feeling that attention to software improvements is moved backstage. A pity, since I can't afford hardware upgrades at the moment.

- Can someone advice me on a stand-alone dolby to PCM decoder? More and more TV channels are being put through in some surround format and of course MDAC can't use that signal.

John,
this actually seems like a good question
Hi John,

Looking at the pictures of simonom's versus WAD62's, what is the difference between the four blue-colored components versus the red-colored components in the same position?

And IIRC, in your testing last weekend, you ended up removing the NOS BC components Polypropylene KP series Film / Foil capacitors and found an improvement in SQ, did I understand correctly?

Best,
Leon
Do these matter only in some configurations?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/WAD62 Toy.JPG
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/SimonOm Toy.JPG

Thanks.

Looking forward to hearing about the toy upgrade. Can't afford the other one.

Anyone in the NE of E getting one back?

Joke721,

Whats the history of your unit - did you buy it new?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/Joke721.JPG

Internally there has been rework performed at sometime that's really butchered your unit!!!!

Wondering if it was sold as B Grade stock or was shipped from the factory in this condition?

Its really heart breaking and makes me so upset to see my hard work so butchered - then passed onto an unaware customer...

I'll rework it and restore the PCB the best I can... They have even replace a high quality Organic capacitor with a standard E-Cap...

I'm really questing wither I'll ever work with China again - no matter how hard one tries, quality always gets aback seat :(

I should say that apart from yours and WAD's unit the MDAC's build quality has been good!

Looking forward to hearing about the toy upgrade. Can't afford the other one.

Anyone in the NE of E getting one back?

So before shipping out the first Toy units today Ser# 2 & 3 (Steve's unit will be #1), I grabbed Jiri's standard MDAC and listened and compared to the Toy units...

I need not have worried, the Toy unit offered a BIG step improvement over the standard MDAC - the standard MDAC now sounding lifeless, muffled - with a flat sound stage... (Hey its a good sounding unit in its own right!)

There is a greater difference between a Toy MDAC and a standard unit then between Fusion and Toy units - that said the Fusion does something VERY VERY special - I'd have no regrets in paying the extra...

So before shipping out the first Toy units today Ser# 2 & 3 (Steve's unit will be #1), I grabbed Jiri's standard MDAC and listened and compared to the Toy units...

I need not have worried, the Toy unit offered a BIG step improvement over the standard MDAC - the standard MDAC now sounding lifeless, muffled - with a flat sound stage... (Hey its a good sounding unit in its own right!)

There is a greater difference between a Toy MDAC and a standard unit then between Fusion and Toy units - that said the Fusion does something VERY VERY special - I'd have no regrets in paying the extra...

Hi john.

Do you reckon the toy upgrade is a good improvement over my L2 upgrade?

Not that I'm unhappy. Anything but in fact. However, for a hundred and ten quid ish ( the bits and posting back and forth) plus your fee, I think I ' need' to try it out :). Damn this compulsion I say!

Ps. The L2 is just excellent, I've had weeks of listening now and I'm very well pleased with it. If you can get even more out of it, I'll be astonished and delighted.

Pps. I assume your backlog must be whopping by now so I'll PM in a month or so to see how long. Cheers!

Is the difference between a L2 and Toy unit greater than between Toy and Fusion?

I don't have a reference L2MDAC with Tyco resistors to hand - this morning I tested from standard MDAC to "Toy" and the difference was larger then Toy to Fusion - that's to be expected with the law of diminishing returns...

The Fusion however really has something very special to its sound, a "purity" that so few products are able to achieve - its sounds closer to HQ Analogue :)

Hi john.

Do you reckon the toy upgrade is a good improvement over my L2 upgrade?

Yes :) - Sadly :D

You would have to order the Toy resistor kit via HiFiCollections, and there is a leadtime on these resistors. As your unit has already been upgraded to L2 Spec there's only a couple of hours work involved to bring it to latest Toy Spec.

You would have to order the Toy resistor kit via HiFiCollections, and there is a leadtime on these resistors. As your unit has already been upgraded to L2 Spec there's only a couple of hours work involved to bring it to latest Toy Spec.

Cool. Ill get the other cash bit sorted then order the toy resistors.

Unless I mug some muggers, then ill go for he fusion.i know I'll regret it if I don't. :mad:

RS components may still have them in stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back