advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XXIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect your dealer is just as innocent as you in this matter. It looks like its been butchered at the factory - for some reason a regulator (supported by the hot glue) was replaced with some unknown brand I've only seen in China.

I've now replaced all the non original components and repaired the damaged best I can - personally I'd have no problem with unit in its condition.

Completed the modifications to stage 5, now to adjust the analogue stages and testing etc.. if all goes well I can ship your unit today (Sunday).

This is just an example of why it take so long to upgrade the units - I have no idea what state I'll receive the MDAC - its taken 3 hours just to rebuild your unit too an acceptable condition.

Thank you so much! I guess it doesn't comfort att all that the dac is still under a year old and that the guarantee is still valid. Can't you get a compensation for the repair against the guarantee?

I really appreciate your hard work. I am very happy that the dac is now in good condition and that the work is soon done. I feel so sorry that you had to do so much extra work. I was not aware of the sad and bad condition of the unit as I haven't had a possibility to look inside it. It has worked ok, but with the coaxial inputs there was a problem during the last weeks.

Looking forward to listen music through my dac again! I will write my comments as soon as it is possible.

All the best from Finland!

Yes - now I have to consider the resistors for the MIMP (and all future designs) - I need to get a working on the MIMP!

I'm really looking forward to your poweramp designs. A pair of MIMP could just be what I'm looking for. I'm very unhappy with my CA 840W as it forces me to use volume settings around -40. In addition it seems to lack some degree of speaker control. Somehow I fear the 840W will prevent me from getting the full benefit of the fusion modification.

That's why I'm thinking of getting a replacement to use until the MIMP (or MAMP) will be available. There is a small German manufacturer nearby called ABACUS electronics. They are using a transconductance amplifier design in their products (like the 60-120C poweramp). Not sure if it's all voodoo or not.

That's why I'm thinking of getting a replacement to use until the MIMP (or MAMP) will be available. There is a small German manufacturer nearby called ABACUS electronics. They are using a transconductance amplifier design in their products (like the 60-120C poweramp). Not sure if it's all voodoo or not.

Hello Fusion,

looks like a 30 year old design with opamps etc. I'm thinking for that money you would be able to do better.
Pretty sure an old Hypex 180 would sound better
But better still try and find a discrete, more modern design

Johan

Bit more here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/41034-abacus-rieder-60-120-amplifier.html

I have both Adam Artist 5 + Sub and Artist 6

Is there some difference in sound between Artist 5 and Artist 6 ? Highs should be the same. I plan to add sub in every case so a bit more bass by Artist 6 is not interesting for me. But what about mids and joining woofer(s) with tweeter ? Are two woofers in d'appolito scheme some way better than single one or not ?

As a happy owner of an Abacus 60-120 PE: Working really good with the M-Dac and better than other amps in the same price range. Of you need more power, use two of them. And: handbuild in Germany, not China...

Joachim

Hello John,

are you any closer to finding out what is wrong with my unit?
As you know, no pressure, just curious

Johan

Mimp is a bit of a moving target still but john outlined it as a stereo power amp 50+ 50 watts or bridgeable to 100watts. It uses a novel topology with a class A driver stage feeding a gutsy output stage. It has switchable gain to match with then mdac or other sources. Same care size as mdac.

Mamp is the double power twin height cased version.

Mimp is a bit of a moving target still but john outlined it as a stereo power amp 50+ 50 watts or bridgeable to 100watts. It uses a novel topology with a class A driver stage feeding a gutsy output stage. It has switchable gain to match with then mdac or other sources. Same care size as mdac.

Thanks! :)

And IIRC MAMP is a power amp whereas the MIMP is integrated.

No, both are power amps. I think what you are referring to is called MIDA :)

And, if not dead as a dodo, MIDA is probably dead as a BDAC, since it was going to be a MIMP/BDAC combination with FM. Much lamented, but the recent Toy/Fusion developments with M-DAC probably mean that BDAC no longer makes sense.

John, I'd like to add my name to the list for a "Toy" upgrade; will this be 2013 or 2014?

John, since now I don't have any proper power amp other than my old simaudio 2002, I am more than willing to join in the beta test program if there's any. I can source for parts here locally.

Mav

Hello John,

are you any closer to finding out what is wrong with my unit?
As you know, no pressure, just curious

Johan

Johan,

I tock a little break from your unit - just to clear my mind.

I've made quite a lot of progress on the Toy upgrades - so I will apply the latest build to relevant sections of your unit.

The completion / shipping order:-

Joke721 , Fusion then yours :)

Later today I'll listen to Joke721 Toy build and see what the latest revision do :)

Johan,

I tock a little break from your unit - just to clear my mind.

I've made quite a lot of progress on the Toy upgrades - so I will apply the latest build to relevant sections of your unit.

The completion / shipping order:-

Joke721 , Fusion then yours :)

Later today I'll listen to Joke721 Toy build and see what the latest revision do :)

Ok,

as per mail: don't ship mine out yet and also before you ship it please let me know your findings.

Thanks,
Johan

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back