advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XXIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.
John,
I bought my MDAC as new from a Finnish, reliable shop. What a shock! I will ask about the unit from the seller on Monday.
Thank you very much!
[

Jesus.

Now I have to open up and check mine.

Does anybody have link to disassebly instructions at hand? I remember there being some quirks to it so I'd rather not screw around. Search is not helping me much.

Does anybody have link to disassebly instructions at hand?

It looks easy - I guess it's only necessary to unscrew 4 screws on each side of box. Only problem is I have not such tiny "star" screwdriver ... I see no sticker so no warranty problem (?)

It looks easy - I guess it's only necessary to unscrew 4 screws on each side of box. Only problem is I have not such tiny "star" screwdriver ... I see no sticker so no warranty problem (?)

iirc, the chassis with its screws may not be as easy as they look, and if they look having been tampered with, warranty may become an issue to consider. Though I want to have a look too, and I don't have to worry about warranty as I'm sending it to John for an upgrade. :)

Taking it to bits isn't that simple there are various internal ribbon cables to disconnect, probably best to leave it in one piece. Also the torx screws on the side can strip.

Taking it to bits isn't that simple

Place unit on newspaper or similar softening.
Place Torx bit in screw head, while applying counter clockwise pressure with fingers tap Torx bit (not fingers) with small hammer. This ensures that bit is fully inserted and loosens resistance.
Remove all 8 case side screws.

The front panel is now only 'held' by the electrical connector ribbon.
Hold ribbon between fingers of one hand and front panel with other, gently pull and off she comes.

the back panel, c/w Pcb's now slides out from the rear- simple.

Re-assembly is just the reverse.
Mine was quite easy after I found a suitable Torx bit !

MDAC service manual.
http://www.hifi-studio.cz/pdf/Audiolab/M-DAC/M-DAC%20Service%20Manual_%2020120710.pdf

You don't need to undo the ribbon cable, the front will feed through with a slight twist. T6 Torx from memory

I'll be going for the 'full monty' Fusion John (I await your 'can do' date)......in the mean time I'll get the resistors ordered and shipped...:):)

And as for the original religion statement...words fail me!

After working on China, I believe I understand where lapkwan is going with his statement.

Here in Europe the basis of our morel fabric as a society is heavily influenced upon the teachings of “religion” – even if some (or most these-days) might not consider themselves religious they are still effected by its teachings based upon the 10 commandments – we shall not steal, we shall not kill, shall not lie & to remain faithful to ones partner etc… Basically we should respect each other… Its “poor taste” to show off ones wealth etc etc…

China as a society devoid of a Morel roadmap has IMO turned into a stomach turning sick place… if you are to work in China then you need to understand that you are working with people who have been devoid of these “basic” teachings that are programmed into us a kids – just by the fact that we had the luck and privilege of being brought up in a society who’s foundations has been based upon religious teachings…

Its not the fault of the individual in China – Chinese people , rather a larger society issue – what’s there to replace basic morel teachings? – replace what the positive side of “religion” has given us here in the Europe?

Don’t forget the situation is worsted by the rapid growth in “Wealth” in recent years – without an equal increase in education (and by education I mean at many levels – including basic “human” morels) – when wealthy parents send there children overseas for “education” they don’t just want them to study, but to learn and absorb “Western” morels… The parents themselves have at least acknowledged the ills of there own society – and are trying to enrich the future generation with a higher morel standard – this well be there own personal legacy to Chinas future as a world power and a world partner.

Education is the most important foundation of any society… Religion has in its own small way educated all of us born here in the West - indirectly or not…

I’ll get of my little soap box here, and return back to the upgrades…(and MDAC thread) Please forgive my little outburst – working in China requires VERY deep soul searching wither or not you should be involved with such a “Sick & Deprived” society – but then that’s easy to say when I’ve had the “privilege” of a Western education…

Educating takes a second seat to feeding a population. Now as China is RAPIDLY moving forward built upon money its earned by the sacrifices of recent generations building cheap consumer goods for the West – we can only hope that China is able to build up its “morel” foundations, say along the lines of the “ten commandments” – without the negative sides of “religions”.

WAY of topic here!

John,
I bought my MDAC as new from a Finnish, reliable shop. What a shock! I will ask about the unit from the seller on Monday.

I suspect your dealer is just as innocent as you in this matter. It looks like its been butchered at the factory - for some reason a regulator (supported by the hot glue) was replaced with some unknown brand I've only seen in China.

I've now replaced all the non original components and repaired the damaged best I can - personally I'd have no problem with unit in its condition.

Completed the modifications to stage 5, now to adjust the analogue stages and testing etc.. if all goes well I can ship your unit today (Sunday).

This is just an example of why it take so long to upgrade the units - I have no idea what state I'll receive the MDAC - its taken 3 hours just to rebuild your unit too an acceptable condition.

Hi Roger,

Please forgive me for the delay in replying - everytime I'd lay down in bed I'd recall I'd not replied to your post.. I'm sorry.

Hi John,

I've been dipping into the thread at intervals over the past two years but have been astonished at the pace of L2MDAC developments particularly over the most recent 3/4 weeks. I've been spending a lot of time listening to my CDQ and have been very happy with its performance. Nevertheless, being aware of the projected Mk II version, I was eagerly waiting any news.

The CDQ MKII plans have basically taken a back seat - MTRN + MDAC is the way to go for the future. The MTRN can then be used Clock-Locked to any future design.

However, following your pointer on pfm to a locally available 4-month old second hand silver MDAC last week, I went ahead and purchased it. Whereas the MK2 CD/CDQ/DQ update was meant to leap-frog the SQ of the MDAC clearly that of the L2MDAC, in any of its various configurations, offers even more.

Its been good to set the standard with the MDAC & Toy / Fusion upgrades - its thrown the spanner into the works with BDAC design... I think my next DAC will be the TDAC - I'd like a step change in performance - the Fusion MDAC is very good and cost effective for the performance level achieved.

I am very happy with the benefit of the already improved SQ of the MDAC over the CDQ but at present I’m investigating why SQ is marginally impaired using, on the one hand, EAC ripped CDs as FLACs on a Netgear NAS using Logitech Media Server/Netgear router (wirelessly to)/Squeezebox Touch (with Triodes EDO)/USB hub and the Danish USB isolator versus the same CD played on the CDQ (used as a transport) to an optical input of the MDAC – of which the latter sounds absolutely superb. I’ve quite a few ideas and so I’m working on it.

The MDAC's bitperfect test is your friend here - and where I'd start first!

Now my friends in Prague keep asking me when I am next going to visit them with the suggestion being sometime in the autumn, so you can guess now how my mind is thinking. An MDAC would be ideal for hand luggage and the trip from Prague to Prostějov should be less than three hours by car. It would be great to see you, Renata and the dogs again and be a change from Bristol or Manchester.

If this comes to fruition and you can accommodate an L2 upgrade it would be sometime late September onwards. I hope the dust will have settled by then regarding the exact extent and nature of the upgrade, but do you think you could fit me in?

NO problem -Renata and I are always happy to meet fellow PFM here in Czech. It takes about 2 days to upgrade your MDAC, so just insure you have order the resistor kit from HiFi collective in advance and I can fit your upgrade in while you are here in CZ.

I am interested in pairing my CDQ or MDAC with either of 2/4 MIMPs or 2 MAMPs but would still be interested in the Mk II CDQ if in the future it becomes available – but, of course, with the added benefit of your revelatory discoveries regarding the sound of various resistor types!

Yes - now I have to consider the resistors for the MIMP (and all future designs) - I need to get a working on the MIMP!

I've only just woken up

In that case good morning.

I have just finished 6 months work with only 7 days off:confused: so I know the feeling.

I have stripped my Dac down this week with a view to provide a new case. A 'Fusion' of wood and alloy (front and rear panels).

Do you still consider the sound stage impaired with the case on ?

Do you still consider the sound stage impaired with the case on ?

Yes - have you listened yet? you can power your unit without its case as its externally powered...

Just insure that you insulate the bottom of the board (say with a book or wood) to insure it cannot make contact to a conductive surface - and that the rear of the front pant does not short out on anything - beware of static discharge...

- beware of static discharge...

My main concern was dust ,my workshop seems to be full of it :D

The case is a very impressive piece of engineering, I shall be hard pressed to match that in wood.

The case does ring like a bell when struck though, and the main Pcb seemed to only be supported on a plastic lug and 2 foam blocks.

I intend to raise the distance from the base to the Pcb (6mm to app. 12mm.)

No scientific reason, just a hunch, maybe because I'm listening to the Higgs Boson Blues-Nick Cave.:)

Anyway we'll see, If I finish it with a coat of 2 pack snake oil it's bound to be an improvement :D

I'll send you one for your thoughts.

The case is a very impressive piece of engineering, I shall be hard pressed to match that in wood.

The MDAC is a very good product indeed :) for anywhere near the price I challenge anyone to show a design that comes anywhere near its build quality and feature set - then you have the Toy & Fusion upgrade options :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back