advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XVI)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is really becoming a forum of its own, unrelated questions all over the place. I own an MDAC, but I sure woudn't ask what image should I put next to it.

Opinion on headphones:
I'm considering buying other headphones to add to my SRH940 (Shure) and XBA3(sony).
I consider several models including : shure 1840, hifiman he400/he500, ultrasone 2900 pro, AKG 702.
My primary source and headphone amp will be the MDAC.

Any opinions ? advices ?
I have the K702 and (especially with USB isolator in place) they are really ... analytical. You get an excellent instrument separation (on good recordings), which is good if you want to become the stereo microphone yourself, and details, which come with the separation, but the music won't be as "melodic" and relaxing (which is done by instrument blending). Note that this is not a bad thing, it's just a statement - I enjoy both types of music reproduction.

Sometimes, I'd welcome more than just +3dB amplification for some really quiet music, but that's a detail.

Also, you would probably get more responses in a separate thread.

Hi John,

First of all, thanks for your quick reply :)

I purchased it last year in March and everything was OK till November.
Well... I use MDac almost every day and it happened 1-2 times per week.
It was necessary to heat it up, to re-power and everything was fine again.
But since this Friday this issue persists !

Could it be related to the ambient temperature ?
What is operating temperature of the Dac ?

HI Vessa,

If you had not posted the pictures I'd find it hard to believe - the first time I've ever seen a display issue like this.

Sorry, it would appear that OLED panel is bad - and will replacing... Your unit needs to be returned for service or exchange.

John

Probably a microscopic crack somewhere in the display system, not helped by repeated heating/cooling cycles.

This thread is really becoming a forum of its own, unrelated questions all over the place. I own an MDAC, but I sure woudn't ask what image should I put next to it.

I have the K702 and (especially with USB isolator in place) they are really ... analytical. You get an excellent instrument separation (on good recordings), which is good if you want to become the stereo microphone yourself, and details, which come with the separation, but the music won't be as "melodic" and relaxing (which is done by instrument blending). Note that this is not a bad thing, it's just a statement - I enjoy both types of music reproduction.

Sometimes, I'd welcome more than just +3dB amplification for some really quiet music, but that's a detail.

Also, you would probably get more responses in a separate thread.
So its not the kindof headphones i'm looking for as my shure is already a detail monster ;p

Yes all things tooks place if you read it on a daily basis... else it could looks like a forum on its own as you say...

Hello,

Here is my actual setup:
PC Win7 64bit -> J River 18 -> M-Audio ASIO driver-> Coax -> M-DAC

All work perfectly, exept for 176kHz files who sounds not very good and are detected as 88kHz on the M-DAC display.

Other formats works just perfect at 44, 48 ,88 and 192kHz.

I have tried using Foobar and the ASIO4all driver but it's the same issue.

Any idea??

I use an almost similar set up, but I use WASAPI in JRiver and also playback 'direct from memory' with USB between source PC and MDAC.
USB limiting input to 24/96.

Hi john,
have you well received the malt ?
Is it the kindof taste that you like ?

Best regards,

Hi hulga!

OH that would explain the report of a small package waiting for - I'll be back home tomorrow afternoon - something to look forward to :)

I'll let you know :)

Thank you in advanced - that was very unexpected :)

John

Hi, this is not the onboard sound chip, but a PCI card from M-Audio. The model Revolution 5.1.
And 176 is well in the specs.

Edit: Tested with the different bandwidth settings, and 176kHz still listed as 88kHz on the M-DAC display.

Can it be then my sound card?
If I have to buy a new one, which one did you think is the best?

As the MDAC is reporting 88kHz for what ever reason the card is not outputting data at the correct 176KHz..

It looks more decent then most... and does appear to have 2 discrete crystals for each sampling frequency range... I suspect an issue with the drivers / software.

In the lab we use:

http://www.esi-audio.com/products/julia/

John

I took delivery of the MDAC yesterday. It's not been burnt in and I only listened to it via MacBookPro, fidelia on USB. Firmware A08. I'll suspend judgement on SQ, but it seems lacking in midrange. Anyway, it's too loud for my Quad 909 so I ordered a pair of Rothwell attenutors.

But now for my question. My sources all only have optical out, so two of these will have to be converted to coax. Which should I connect directly by optical and which by way of converter? From a sq point of view, that is.

1. Sony PS3 (CD BR transport)
2. Apple TV
3. WD TV live
4. UPC digital mediabox (Philips)

Can anyone enlighten me on this?

We have reports of later Apple TV having lock issue with the MDAC - earlier generation Apple TV work OK.

The optical inputs on the MDAC are only rated up to 96KHz - so if your intending to use a device with a higher sampling rate then it would be worth trying the Optical to Coax converter with this device.

You can use the optical to coax with any of the devices as you choose - I don't see any reason to say which would work better or not. They are all fairly low quality data sources, so your not gong to make a good source mediocre - they are mediocre to start with...

John

Hi John,

First of all, thanks for your quick reply :)

I purchased it last year in March and everything was OK till November.
Well... I use MDac almost every day and it happened 1-2 times per week.
It was necessary to heat it up, to re-power and everything was fine again.
But since this Friday this issue persists !

Could it be related to the ambient temperature ?
What is operating temperature of the Dac ?

Again sorry to hear about you issue - it might be a PSU related, if your by any chance located in CZ then I can take a look at your unit..

John

As the MDAC is reporting 88kHz for what ever reason the card is not outputting data at the correct 176KHz..

It looks more decent then most... and does appear to have 2 discrete crystals for each sampling frequency range... I suspect an issue with the drivers / software.

In the lab we use:

John

John, would changing the soundcard in my PC to one mentioned above give an improvement over USB (aside from the benefit of 192Khz over 96)? and do you use optical or coaxial cable (thanks in advance).

In the lab we use:

John

Yes this a decent audio card, so a bit fustrating to not go through this issue...
At the driver level I have tryed the last M-Audio with ASIO and also the ASIO4All.
At the software level I have tryed JRiver and Foobar.
In all those combinations the issue remains.

Any suggestion try fix this?

John, would changing the soundcard in my PC to one mentioned above give an improvement over USB (aside from the benefit of 192Khz over 96)? and do you use optical or coaxial cable (thanks in advance).

No ASync USB is the best.

Optical Isolation is useful - but the MDAC's Optics are only "Rated" to 96KHz - we use to 192 in the lab.

John

Yes this a decent audio card, so a bit fustrating to not go through this issue...
At the driver level I have tryed the last M-Audio with ASIO and also the ASIO4All.
At the software level I have tryed JRiver and Foobar.
In all those combinations the issue remains.

Any suggestion try fix this?

Sorry - without having the combination to try in the lab - Its hard to be certain WHERE the problem is - we know the MDAC works at 176KHz - but there are few certainty's in life...

Have you tired the SPDIF output on your PC's motherboard?

Thanks John. Clear answer. I hope I won't have the lock problem; I've got the later moddel AppleTV...

Sorry - I meant the matching Creek amplifier for the BDAC (we had a hand in the redesign of the front panel (OLED) and pre-amplifier sections, adding direct Balanced inputs as well as the redesigned cosmetic ID / user controls).

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/86116171/Evolution-50A-Integrated-Amplifier---Front.jpg

Lo John. A nice smooth looking thing. I especially like the blue lights ; but I thought you weren't a fan of them?

Anyway that gives me more time to save for two mimps..

I have raised this on another post http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1896383#post1896383. But hoping John or other expert on here might have some thoughts. I have a SBT clone (a joggler running linux with squeezeplayer running on it) see http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=740 for some info. A number of very clever guys have not only got squeezeplayer to work pretty flawlessly, but also port triode 24/96 USB cleverness too.

All is working very well. I have the joggler hooked up to my MDAC via USB and 24/96 is working well, also have tried bit perfect and it passes. But I have noticed a noise on the line, that is best described as a mid/high freq whine. only audible with highish amp gain. volume on the Squeezeplayer volume slider or the MDAC volume makes no difference. In fact you can set the volume to 0 and the interference is still there. Now it starts to get interesting, if you switch the MDAC to a different input, eg coax or optical the noise is still there (at this point I started fearing it was an MDAC fault). But when I unplug the USB the interference disappears and silence ensues.

Some have suggested USB isolators. But I am interested based on this description whether the symptoms are likely to be solved with such a device?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back