advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XVI)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dont be jealous, we were guinea pigs..

I won't speak for Sam, but the first time you hit the switch that sits between the mains and your precious hand-modified MDAC (or even stock MDAC!)... that's an interesting moment. Think: 'clenched' ;D

/dom

I won't speak for Sam, but the first time you hit the switch that sits between the mains and your precious hand-modified MDAC (or even stock MDAC!)... that's an interesting moment. Think: 'clenched' ;D

/dom

Yup... I am pretty used to it now as I build a lot of my own hifi.. And my MDac I had to build my own powersupply for.. Had checked and measured everything a number of times but it STILL was a stressful moment....
Full build thread is in my signature, but a quick pic (it does have a lid!):

uta2e9e8.jpg

Sam

Two lucky guys above, jealousy! If I've got it correct MPAX shall be around easter 2013. But would sam or michael or anyone tell me what's specifically about the upgrade? Do we just buy the PSU and the new power board and fix it at home, but then who do the mainboard modification? Put it simple i don't understand! :p

John hasn't finalised it yet, but there were three proposed stages.

1. External PSU that anyone can use
2. Internal PSU board that you can fit to use with above.
3. Modification to main pcb which Lakewest need to perform.

The idea was to allow you to go from 1-3 in stages as you wish. But knowing John this could change at any time as he sees and trials better solutions.

Yup... I am pretty used to it now as I build a lot of my own hifi.. And my MDac I had to build my own powersupply for.. Had checked and measured everything a number of times but it STILL was a stressful moment....
Full build thread is in my signature, but a quick pic (it does have a lid!):

Sam

Oh go on then... mine is massive ;)

front-open.jpg

Yes, it was quite cold, about +15 °C or +17°C when it DID happen for the fist time !
Like I told you, since November and till last WE the switching or powered "warm" MADE a trick, but it was ng to do with this issue during last WE.

Since Monday morning, when I switched it on once again, everythig was OK from the beginning, although Mdac was switched off all night and "cold".
In oder to avoid to see again the "weird"/black screen, for the time being I left Mdac powered on 24/24...

AFAIK this is a glitch, I will try to move Mdac to other room and will tell you what's going on

Is your location very cold when you have the issue (Cold winter months)? - Did I understand you correctly that you mentioned your unit always functions OK when powered up "warm"?

Yes, it was quite cold, about +15 °C when it DID happen for the fist time !
Like I told you, since November and till last WE the switching or powered "warm" MADE a trick, but it was ng to do with this issue during last WE. Even "warmed", Mdac didn't function OK.

But... since Monday morning, when I switched it on once again, everythig was OK from the beginning, although Mdac was switched off all night and "cold".
In oder to avoid to see again the "weird"/black screen, for the time being I left Mdac powered on 24/24...

Is your location very cold when you have the issue (Cold winter months)? - Did I understand you correctly that you mentioned your unit always functions OK when powered up "warm"?

Sorry, I've been really busy solving some design issues...

Dominiks just wrapping up the Creek Audio amplifier software, so I'd like him to send a couple of days on the next MDAC software build - before he moves onto the next project.

A list of items that I'd like him to work on:-

1. Input Source naming

2. Add Mute function to "DAC Mode"

3. Correct error for discrete codes (Optical 1/2)

4, Ignore the first button press when coming out of "screen saver"'

Is there anything I've missed or we should add (ignoring the SQ enhancements)?

John

Sounds good! I've moved house now, building the hifi tonight.

Can't think of anything else to add...

I wonder my violin glare is at least partly due to my mdac is still new at the moment, or may be due to the furutech gt2 usb wire which tend to be strident in HF as I've encountered those comments in other forums.

I too have had violin problems. I don't think it's my MDAC. I've made improvements by re-positioning my (Quad 2805) speakers and removing the spikes - I suspect there was some interraction with the suspended wooden floor underneath the carpet. I'd be surprised if a USB cable could cause this, though different speaker cables might make a difference (pace those who worship bell wire). You might want to explore the room/speaker relationship.

- Richard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back