advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XVI)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey john, still needing info on why some sources dont present full volume on the spl meter.

Uhf digital only presents 1/2 volume on the spl meter compared to other sources that show it hitting all the way up to 0.

Thanks.

I have raised this on another post http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1896383#post1896383. But hoping John or other expert on here might have some thoughts. I have a SBT clone (a joggler running linux with squeezeplayer running on it) see http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=740 for some info. A number of very clever guys have not only got squeezeplayer to work pretty flawlessly, but also port triode 24/96 USB cleverness too.

All is working very well. I have the joggler hooked up to my MDAC via USB and 24/96 is working well, also have tried bit perfect and it passes. But I have noticed a noise on the line, that is best described as a mid/high freq whine. only audible with highish amp gain. volume on the Squeezeplayer volume slider or the MDAC volume makes no difference. In fact you can set the volume to 0 and the interference is still there. Now it starts to get interesting, if you switch the MDAC to a different input, eg coax or optical the noise is still there (at this point I started fearing it was an MDAC fault). But when I unplug the USB the interference disappears and silence ensues.

Some have suggested USB isolators. But I am interested based on this description whether the symptoms are likely to be solved with such a device?

Yes, the USB isolator will solve the issue - appears the joggers AC adaptor is injecting HF noise into your systems Ground...

Hey john, still needing info on why some sources dont present full volume on the spl meter.

Uhf digital only presents 1/2 volume on the spl meter compared to other sources that show it hitting all the way up to 0.

Thanks.

Not sure what "Uhf digital" is - but sounds like you need to increase is volume control level - are there Volume up / down buttons on its remote handset?

John

Thanks John. Clear answer. I hope I won't have the lock problem; I've got the later moddel AppleTV...

Thats not good - but maybe Apple have improved the hardware... But we suspect it to do with the internal IC used in the Apple design.

Lo John. A nice smooth looking thing. I especially like the blue lights ; but I thought you weren't a fan of them?

Anyway that gives me more time to save for two mimps..

Indeed they do look blue in the photo - but they are white, not sure why they came out so blue in the Pic...

Not sure what "Uhf digital" is - but sounds like you need to increase is volume control level - are there Volume up / down buttons on its remote handset?

John[/QUOT

Uhf meaning inbuilt digital tv, the signal is being received via optical and there is no volume control, i get the same issue in xbmc with movies and the volume on that is full. I'm guessing its the fault of the source with it not outputting the volume properly.

Uhf meaning inbuilt digital tv, the signal is being received via optical and there is no volume control, i get the same issue in xbmc with movies and the volume on that is full. I'm guessing its the fault of the source with it not outputting the volume properly.

Have you tried the latest release of xbmc?

XBMC 12 Frodo - Release Candidate 3

Sorry, still not much clearer about Uhf digital (nor what device uses xbmc for that matter) - what device is it? (Make / Model)? Maybe I can find something in its user guide...

Sorry - without having the combination to try in the lab - Its hard to be certain WHERE the problem is - we know the MDAC works at 176KHz - but there are few certainty's in life...

Have you tired the SPDIF output on your PC's motherboard?

Onboard SPDIF is optical. So max 96kHz if I have correctly understood the M-DAC specs.

If I understood John correctly the MDAC will accept samplerates >96kHz on the optical inputs. That is assuming you have a very good source (like the upcoming MTRN :cool:).

Hi John and others on this forum,

With regards to the upcoming firmware of the MDAC; how do you feel about adding an option in the MDAC's menu to simplify the amount of information on the MDAC's display? A few posts ago I saw John's post with a photo of the new Creek Amp on which the display only shows the source name and volume and thought that would be great for the MDAC too. Basicly, next to the option 'display peak meters yes/no', an option in the menu that says 'display bit rate and D3E yes/no'. The basic info (source and volume) is just enough for me (and certainly for my wife who always asks what all that info is for on the display :p).
xYoOe.jpg

Please let me know your thoughts!
Regards
Ewout

You can do that on the current Mdac firmware...
Hi Sam_cat. I am aware that the peak meters can be hidden, but also the bit rate and D3E option? Sorry about my post then, but I never found the option to also hide the bitrate and D3E so that only source and volume are shown. R u sure?

Have you tried the latest release of xbmc?

XBMC 12 Frodo - Release Candidate 3

Sorry, still not much clearer about Uhf digital (nor what device uses xbmc for that matter) - what device is it? (Make / Model)? Maybe I can find something in its user guide...

Um freeview tv ? Lol basically its just digital tv broadcasted via frequency modulated ultra high frequency band which my tv has a in built receiver for, i watch tv from this medium digitally and sound is transferred from the tv via optical connection.
Hope i was clear enough hehe

As for xbmc i have not tried the latest version but will have a go tonight, i have the software installed on my high end pc with that also sporting a optical connecting to my m-dac. Music such as mp3 and wav show full spl usage but movies are not reaching above -40 or so, audio codecs for movies vary from aac, mp3, dolby, dts etc with all adheering the same fault. Likley indicating that its not the codec or files and more prone to be a software issue with xbmc as movies play fine with full spl respones on windows media player.

Likely i have answered my own question.

The basic info (source and volume) is just enough for me (and certainly for my wife who always asks what all that info is for on the display

MENU/SAMPLING RATE/NOMINAL FREQUENCY

should (mostly) do the trick. Hiding the rest would probably be unhelpful in the long run.

Only CD players are guaranteed to be able to display CD track Time info and output digital audio - with any other sources it will be hit or miss depending upon implementation of the players hardware / software.

John

Thanks for your quick response, my mdac came with firmware version 0.99, I installed the latest version and it works perfectly with the output bitstream of oppo.

MENU/SAMPLING RATE/NOMINAL FREQUENCY

should (mostly) do the trick. Hiding the rest would probably be unhelpful in the long run.

Hi PlutoX and thank you for your feedback. For me (and probably many others) it's the core functionality of the MDAC we love. Next to that, if there's just a simple option to hide bitrate and d3e, it just becomes a device of which the display is as pure and clean as the sound it produces :)

Hi John!
My name is Stefan and are living in sweden. I have read about your new integrated amplifier MIMP with interrest. But I can't find any website of your company Lakewest. And therefore I hope that you can inform me where and when I can buy one of those new amplifier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back