advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XVI)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi John,

Will you be at the Bristol show this yearwith the MIMP and MPAX..? I was looking at the list of exhibitors but I couldn see Lakewest.

Thanks

H

Hello everyone,

My Mdac has arrived for exactly a week and has been using its headphone amp on and off since then, I've updated fw to v08 and using minimum phase filter as I found it the only filter to avoid the glare of violin, I wonder anyone here would share his view on this filter? Whether it is good or bad.

Anyway I'm really very happy that I can finally join you all and I know the designer is also here too, wow! I love the screen dimmer with the LAKE.WEST logo on, so cool!

lapkwan.

Hi John,

Will you be at the Bristol show this yearwith the MIMP and MPAX..? I was looking at the list of exhibitors but I couldn see Lakewest.

Thanks

H

None of the 'Lakewest' products exist yet - including MIMP and MPAX- they haven't been deisgned yet. So there's nothing to show and nothing to buy

Edit: I should really have said that the designs haven't been completed yet. Block elements of the designs exist in other products and concepts, but as far as John has made anyone aware here, there are no complete 'Lakewest' designs

I'm wondering: has anyone compared the sound on RCA vs XLR on the M-DAC?

I'm running on RCA, but thinking about adding a high quality XLR input to my power amp. Wondering if it is worth trying. The amp is of course not balanced.

I felt the XLR sounded quite a bit better when connecting balanced to my Adam active speakers. The RCA output, into an XLR adapter, lost something but it's difficult to say precisely what since it's a faff to swap between.

Thanks for your proposal John.
I'm located in France, not far from Paris.
I will check with the retailor if it's possible or not to remplace my Mdac and revert

Again sorry to hear about you issue - it might be a PSU related, if your by any chance located in CZ then I can take a look at your unit..

John

My Mdac has arrived for exactly a week and has been using its headphone amp on and off since then, I've updated fw to v08 and using minimum phase filter as I found it the only filter to avoid the glare of violin, I wonder anyone here would share his view on this filter? Whether it is good or bad.

I use this filter for precisely the same reason as you: to try to calm down the almost unbearably bright violins. At first I thought it was my system that was too bright, but I get the same issue when I use headphones (Grado GS1000i). It's the only problem I have with the otherwise superb MDAC, and I'm hoping the much-mentioned and much-anticipated MPAX will improve things.

When I'm not listening to violin-heavy recordings, I revert to OT XD (with software A0.06).

If anyone has any recommendations how to ameliorate the situation before the MPAX reaches production (it is no longer so high on John's "forthcoming" list) , they would be gratefully received.

Time to swap for something less sharp in the treble.

Here they are compared with AKG 701's (red line)

graphCompare.php

I use this filter for precisely the same reason as you: to try to calm down the almost unbearably bright violins. At first I thought it was my system that was too bright, but I get the same issue when I use headphones (Grado GS1000i). It's the only problem I have with the otherwise superb MDAC, and I'm hoping the much-mentioned and much-anticipated MPAX will improve things.

When I'm not listening to violin-heavy recordings, I revert to OT XD (with software A0.06).

If anyone has any recommendations how to ameliorate the situation before the MPAX reaches production (it is no longer so high on John's "forthcoming" list) , they would be gratefully received.

I'd suggest you give fw 0.9 a go perhaps. No harsh there on any filter.

Time to swap for something less sharp in the treble.

Here they are compared with AKG 701's (red line)

graphCompare.php

Hi sq,

where do you find those curves? could you add one more curve (green) on the same graph for denon d7000 and show it again? thanks.

I'm wondering: has anyone compared the sound on RCA vs XLR on the M-DAC?

I'm running on RCA, but thinking about adding a high quality XLR input to my power amp. Wondering if it is worth trying. The amp is of course not balanced.

I swapped a 0.5m pair of Chord Cameleon vee's for a cheap Amazon-sourced 0.5m XLR pair. My 3 guests asked me what I'd done because they said there was a jump upwards in SQ.

Dont be jealous, we were guinea pigs... There was a chance that it could have made the sound worse, or changed it in a way we wouldnt like... Its not like we could audition the differences!

If my memory serves you can just buy the new power supply and plug it in to get a lot of the benefit. There is an option of a power board but its not required for the new power supply. For the power board you could either just your MDac off for it to be fitted or if you are comfortable dismantiling your MDac you could fit it yourself.

But I could be wrong on this!

Sam

The Volume control function in the MDAC is performed by the ESS DAC - we have no external access to this Data to route an attenuated datastream to the MDAC's DOTX outputs.
As the TDAC has an FPGA DSP we could add this feature to the TDAC at a later date.

Thanks for letting me know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back