advertisement

Scam warning

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...luxury-goods-knock-prices-ambushing-them.html

RIP Sime192

I was just one of many victims but my crime report and the evidence of his personal details supplied by many of you was undoubtedly a great help in tracing him. Nice to know he got 6 years. I left the UK in august and with it, I also left my hifi. That means for now I'm not a regular on PFM. After the help and kindness shown by many of you, I felt the least I could do was update you. It was really hard work getting the police to file a crime report but perseverance paid off. If any of you are victims of Internet fraud, this link may provide an easier way to report it:

http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

I've just tried to notify police of a scam on craigslist London, both Merseyside and Strathclyde police were less than interested, suggesting it is actually a trading standards matter and that these scammers prey on peoples greed!
It's the perfect crime when plod cant be bothered.

I've just tried to notify police of a scam on craigslist London, both Merseyside and Strathclyde police were less than interested, suggesting it is actually a trading standards matter and that these scammers prey on peoples greed!
It's the perfect crime when plod cant be bothered.

It's interesting.
I suppose you could argue that it is indeed a trading standards matter until a crime is reported. Then it becomes a police matter.

Simon

How will it become a crime report if the police aren't interested ?

Sorry if my post wasn't clear.
I meant that it only becomes a police matter after someone has been scammed and reported it to them.

Simon

I received one such mail from Madrid in response to an ad for a P25 I put out on hifi-forsale:

Hello From Juan

Still Interested in Buying this items and i have for sales in good
condition, And good price is OK,if You are still interested let me
know, And i will be back to You with pics and details.thanks

Address:
Calle Zorrilla nº 7,
3ºderecha Madrid,
Spain

I responded asking for details even though I was suspicious. To which he replied:

Thanks for Your email...i have attached a pics of My REGA P25 for You
to see and still in Great And Wonderful Condition and well Clean,free
from dust or rust.and i will be asking 600euro and i will need Your
complete home address and Phone Number to calculate the
shipping cost to Your doorstep,My Mode of payment is Bank Transfer or
Western Union,Let me know which one You prefer,thanks and Hope to hear
from You soon

He did not bother to give me any details apart from his vague remarks and desire to get the payment through. I discovered that his pictures of the P25 had been lifted from a site! Just to string him along I commented:

"There are some things I do not understand. For instance, why are you pics from this site in Italy?
http://www.audiocostruzioni.com/r_s/giradischi/Rega-P25/Rega P25.htm

His sweet response:

Thanks for Your mail..Yes You are Correct and i am helping My Friend
to sell the REGA P25,he is the own of it..he dont Speak Good english
and i am helping him out and that is the reason i even used My own
Account to Recieive the payment,Hope You understand?dont worry
everthing is fien OK? Thanks

Devil's Sponk?
Well, Craiglist London certainly seems to be a scammer's paradise. Not much of a story here, but a common one I'd think.
Landed there by googling for VTL amps. Up comes one I'm looking for at a price too good to be true. Email the vendor asking whether the pre- is still available, where he is in London and whether a functional demo is available. His reply: "Still available mate." Ok... I get the message...
Bit more googling using key phrases this time from the extensive and credible blurb and land on the ad on Audiogon from which the scammer has cut-and-paste everything but the asking price. Look at several more of this ilk on Craiglist London. Same thing.
Scammers paradise... if people fall for it... Presumably no-one on PFM though...

Devil's Sponk?
Well, Craiglist London certainly seems to be a scammer's paradise. Not much of a story here, but a common one I'd think.
Landed there by googling for VTL amps. Up comes one I'm looking for at a price too good to be true. Email the vendor asking whether the pre- is still available, where he is in London and whether a functional demo is available. His reply: "Still available mate." Ok... I get the message...
Bit more googling using key phrases this time from the extensive and credible blurb and land on the ad on Audiogon from which the scammer has cut-and-paste everything but the asking price. Look at several more of this ilk on Craiglist London. Same thing.
Scammers paradise... if people fall for it... Presumably no-one on PFM though...

And the seller's email , did it have energy or dan in it?

How right you are! Yes it does. Do you want me to PM it to you? And how did you know...? Or should I have trawled all through the thread to know that?

How right you are! Yes it does. Do you want me to PM it to you? And how did you know...? Or should I have trawled all through the thread to know that?

The guy is notorious for ripping people off-I can't for the life of me understand why he hasn't been caught and prosecuted.

Ok, of course you're right - have now read all the thread. Where do you think he is based, by the way? Has anyone tried to get him prosecuted? The current evidence of fraud is really very strong.

In response to my wanted ad for a 640P, I have just received some very suspicious offers from a new member claiming to be in Madrid.
He got in touch using very poor English (which may be deliberate or genuine) and offering me a used 640P for 140 euros!! (more expensive than a new one!!)
He volunteered his address in Madrid and when I checked it on google maps, its the address of a Hostel.
I have challenged him on this and obviously no response even though he is still online.
He is a new member - joined today!!

I am not mentioning his user name yet in case I turn out to be a paranoid idiot and he a genuine seller

However, in case he does turn out to be a scamster, as I suspect - PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUL OF MAKING ANY PAYMENTS TO ANY NEW SELLER WHO MAY APPEAR DODGY

Be aware of user soso11
Seems like a scamster using the same Madrid address as the other scam warning posted by Peapod

these people are scum, I have 2 of them from spain offering me a technics SP25 that I put a wanted ad for, one even phoned me up asking why I had not transferred the money into his bank! Of course he with held his number.

advertisement

Back