advertisement

Scam warning

Tony L

Administrator
Sadly scammers are beginning to operate on audio forums. Today I received the following:

julio via PM said:
15” Tannoy Monitor Golds
Are you still interested,I have it still in good working condition and
in perfect order. Good price is accepted, if you are interested in
buying from me. Let me know your price as well as the your shipping
contact address for shipping to your home. And i will get back to you
with details. Thanks and hope to hear from you soon.contact me at [email protected]
Best regards
Julio Saori polo
20082 Madrid Spain

This obviously rang some serious alarm bells as the English was very poor, the grasp of the subject matter looks non-existent, it included a suspicious gmail.com email account (the scammers favourite), and it came from a new user registered today with zero posts. It looks like a scam, quacks like a scam, so lets have a closer look...

Obviously as site owner I have access to more info than most, so I checked out the IP address (41.71.148.55) that the user registered with:

whois info said:
org-name: Visafone Communications Limited
org-type: LIR
address: 12, Ologun Agbaje Street
address: Victoria Island
address: Lagos
e-mail:  
phone: +2347025551211
fax-no: +23412624287
admin-c: FY2-AFRINIC
tech-c: FY2-AFRINIC
mnt-ref: AFRINIC-HM-MNT
mnt-ref: VISAFONE-MNT
mnt-by: AFRINIC-HM-MNT
source: AFRINIC # Filtered

person: Fred Young
nic-hdl: FY2-AFRINIC
address: 33 Saka Tinubu Street
address: Victoria Island
address: Lagos Nigeria
address: Lagos
address: Nigeria
e-mail:  
e-mail:  
phone: +2347025551211
fax-no: +23412624287
source: AFRINIC # Filtered

So, Spain is now part of Victoria Island, Lagos, Nigeria. Interesting.

I'm posting this as a warning. As site owner / administrator there is nothing I can do until after the fact with this type of thing. I'll only know about it once it is reported to me (unless, as in this case, the scammer is such a moron that they try it on with me first!).

Please take great care with all transactions and always report any PM you think is suspicious - there is a report option, the little 'r' on the top right of the PM window. If something looks suspicious it probably is. Research it. The advantage forums like pfm have over traditional scammer haunts like Gumtree etc is that we are a proper community - people start here with zero credibility and earn social standing within the community over time - always check people's past posts etc. Be sure you know *exactly* who you are dealing with. There are some guidelines in the FAQ, but only proceed with a transaction if you are certain it is legitimate.

Tony.

PS just had reports of another from the same scammer:

Julio via PM said:
WTB Meridian 508 and 502
Are you still interested,I have it still in good working condition and
in perfect order. Good price is accepted, if you are interested in
buying from me. Let me know your price as well as the your shipping
contact address for shipping to your home. And i will get back to you
with details. Thanks and hope to hear from you soon.contact me at [email protected]
Best regards
Julio Saori polo
20082 Spain

I've now deleted the account, but this type of asshole always returns, so please be careful. Please report all such PMs to me.

Why not just forbid PMs until a member has made a few posts? They can always post on a thread if they have something to buy/sell and that makes the whole thing a bit more obvious.

Why not just forbid PMs until a member has made a few posts? They can always post on a thread if they have something to buy/sell and that makes the whole thing a bit more obvious.

this can put people off and increase verbosity. i have a genuine ford part that i want to pass on and i need to waffle for ten posts to advertise. I don't want to stay on the forum, but do they really want ten waffle posts!

I've also had a fair few perfectly decent people joining the site just so they can buy a particular record I have advertised - they've arrived here via google and just want the record. I don't want to lose this business just because there are a tiny minority of areseholes out there. I don't see why a trace element of scammers should effectively dictate the type of site I run. I'd far prefer to beat this one with education and knowledge. It is a matter of making sure pfm members know how to recognise internet scams and that they never send money or kit anywhere they are not absolutely confident they have verified as being a legitimate person or address.

Tony.

This is a very hard subject and even harder to crack...... Very subjective however I don't think the site is responsible you should always try and do your homework and even ask others opinion ... Unfortunatly this kind of thing will never go away so we all have to be vigilant ..... If your unsure post your concerns if it is a scam I'm sure someone on here would know....

Not giving PM/posting privileges is a waste of time.

Like Tony said, someone might just join in order to buy one item, and prove to be 100% genuine.

FWIW I 'joined' a technical forum to ask a question, and if the answer was satisfactory i fully intended to spend c£100 with them. Maybe more later.

The registration process was something like this.
1) Fill in the registration details
2) Fill in the CAPCHA (which I find very difficult due to vision problems)
3) Answer the anti spam question
4) Click on the 'confirm you are real' email link sent to me
5) Wait for admin to approve my account (it took 3 days!!!)

I went elsewhere. I wonder why

If someone is determined to spam, then they will. Making it difficult to join/post just effects the genuine potential members.

Treat any purchase/sale as you would in the 'real' world and you should be fine. All my purchases and sales via PFM have been 100%, but I still take care.

I recently bought something from a different forum from a person with zero history - I got them to photo the item with note written on a piece of paper. Proof enough that they owned the item. Paypal fee's can presumably cover rest.

Hi Tony,

I've also received a kind offer from this joker offering to sell me a Teddy Cap. I'm glad I saw your warning before I replied. UK based sales with face to face transactions are my preference, especially seeing that the scammers are here too.

I've also had a fair few perfectly decent people joining the site just so they can buy a particular record I have advertised - they've arrived here via google and just want the record. I don't want to lose this business just because there are a tiny minority of areseholes out there. I don't see why a trace element of scammers should effectively dictate the type of site I run. I'd far prefer to beat this one with education and knowledge. It is a matter of making sure pfm members know how to recognise internet scams and that they never send money or kit anywhere they are not absolutely confident they have verified as being a legitimate person or address.

Sure, but since you're a moderator, they can always PM you anyway!

Or they can register, post on your thread asking for the record and you can PM/email them.

And do you really want people with no interest in the forum registering to sell a 'genuine Ford part'?

I just don't understand how you think it's a community and the community can police it, if people with balaclavas on, can wander in, mug someone and wander out!

They can just as easily join, post on the thread with a disguised email address (xyx at abc dot co dot uk), and conduct the transaction in the 'open'.

... or join ePay to scam everyone.

Buyer Beware, whether its a retail shop, commercial e site, or forum.

Thanks Tony..the same guy PM'd me in relation to my quest of some ES14 tweeters...I think I'll send him a PayPal invoice for the inconvenience....

I've had regular communications from a succession of would be slellers based in 'Madrid' who always have my 'item' in perfect condition, and who I'm sure is just the same dipshit Nigerian trying it on again and again. (what is it about Nigeria that makes is Scam Central?)

Usually via ads in Hifi for sale rather than here though. I guess it's a numbers game for these people, eventually for every x,000 emails they get someone stupid enough to bite.

Hi. Everyone

Anyone received from JULIO SAORI? he email is [email protected]
I received email and PM and he want to selling his Naim NAP250 and Linn LK280.
I request his NAP250 photos and serial number and he send to me ebay listed Naim 250 photos.

Cosmetic conditions photo : ebay listed item # 120687634499
Naim 250 S/N photo : ebay listed item # 170606124728

He told me that his NAP250 S/N is 133991 but cosmetic photo is CB250 ( S/N 34000)

He is trying to con me.

Be careful...

advertisement

Back