advertisement

Scam warning

Following on from previous post - I started quizzing this character by asking questions such as what Transport he intended to use the DAX 2 with.
(now sold BTW)
And... no answer.
I have no direct evidence but I certainly think it more likely that he was trying a scam than that his was a genuine purchase attempt.
POSSIBLE SCAMMER

Who do I ask if I want ot check out something regarding a fellow PF'er on here??

I'm disappointed to have to issue a warning about one of our members; Mr. Tez

He replied to my request for an iPhone offering a 16gb 3G model for £125. I paid by Bank Transfer.

Despite assurances that the phone would be sent next day it took numerous PM's using his Pink Fish, Wigwam and Ebay accounts to get the phone sent, it eventually arrived approx 2 weeks later and it was an 8gb not 16gb model. I have been trying to contact him since with no luck. Tony has also attempted to get hold of him; again no luck, so with Tony's agreement I am posting the bank details he gave me and issuing a warning to all members - steer clear of Mr. Tez

I Haider
Natwest
£125

Mr.Tez account now deleted. I've retained the registration email and IP address which I will happily pass to the police on request.

E-bay seller flea5590

Item number: 260903725612

Never send the Michell Unicover.

May not belong here, but wanted to warn people outside UK.

User deleted. It's a standard scam tactic and I'll delete any such usernames reported to me on the spot. I'm not even prepared to enter into dialogue with a user with such an account name. The account just goes.

User deleted. It's a standard scam tactic and I'll delete any such usernames reported to me on the spot. I'm not even prepared to enter into dialogue with a user with such an account name. The account just goes.
As I reported previously, members really need to be on their guard against this tactic. Can you exclude punctuation marks from new registrations?

As I reported previously, members really need to be on their guard against this tactic. Can you exclude punctuation marks from new registrations?

All I want to stomp on is the use of an existing and trusted username that is slightly altered. I'll be more lenient with people who are clearly trying to use their real name e.g. firstname, initial of surname and putting a number after it or whatever. It's not something I can automate, so as ever the onus is on you lot to check who you are dealing with.

If it's any consolation. We have a distinctly weird neighbour who did a similar thing to this advertising tickets for the recent Liverpool v Cardiff Carling Cup final that he didn't have.

The people scammed passed the details he had given for payment etc to the Police and he's just been sent down for 3 years. It was on the front page of the local paper last Friday.

Goes to show that the Police can take these things seriously and act very quickly if given enough information to proceed....which it seems you have.

Jonathan

Just coming on this after being away for a week.

For serious users on this forum I recommend a joining fee of £100.00 per annum.

Did anyone recieve a PM like this?

Hi

I registered just to get to know you, I've been drooling over the d830's for years and finally got a pair waiting for me in the us to pick up and bring back to india!

I'd love to get to know a fellow Jamo fan!

do you have any mesenger or facebook?

Got it on 23/4. Replied and heard nothing since.

Recently joined this forum as I was scouring the internet to get a Quad 306. A person with a Quad 306 replied but I had no idea that messages sent here are not automatically forwarded to the registered email address. By the time I saw the message, I had already purchased two of these from a dealer through eBay UK.

By the way I am from India, so I hope all of you don't get paranoid.

Now regarding the typical Nigerian scam, I have had my fair share of these on Craigslist Bangalore but it is usually very easy to detect. The old adage applies "If it is too good to be true, it usually is". Funnily the Nigerian scams in India are always routed through the UK. When I went to sell my car on Craigslist, I had "buyers" who wanted to pay me double or more of the price of the car for me to repay the balance by bank transfer to a UK bank account. I received a bunch of fake Paypal emails also with all sorts of transfers made to my email address which at that time did not have a Paypal account.

As far as selling is concerned, all you have to do is to make sure that you first receive the cash. Log in to your Paypal account and actually check whether you received the money. Do not be taken in by just the email which purports to be from Paypal and definitely do not get into the business of repaying people for overpayment.

Buying is generally the one area where things are extremely dicey. Here you absolutely have to use your best judgement. See the pictures, ask questions about the product and its provenance and you could get some assurance. I doubt whether the typical Nigerian scammer will be able to answer most of these questions.

Of course, bad English is always a dead giveaway.

Just to let you know and do the best I can to assure, payment from India through Paypal is simple and easy. Shipping also has become much easier and there is no need to ship directly to India. In case you sell to anyone in India, please ask the buyer to open an account with Borderlinx/DHL and ship to Milton-Keynes so that the buyer can take it on from there.

In case you went through this really long post and reached here, thanks for reading.

PS: @neilo7: The PM you received looks cheesy and it is quite likely to be from an Indian :)

I've had regular communications from a succession of would be slellers based in 'Madrid' who always have my 'item' in perfect condition, and who I'm sure is just the same dipshit Nigerian trying it on again and again. (what is it about Nigeria that makes is Scam Central?)

Usually via ads in Hifi for sale rather than here though. I guess it's a numbers game for these people, eventually for every x,000 emails they get someone stupid enough to bite.

You know what is the saddest fact is in all of this scamming from Nigeria, guys like you and me, just ordinary guys, from here in the UK and also EU countries in general over the years have raised and sent billions of our hard earned cash to help the African people out of their terrible poverty and misery, is this the way to repay our kindness, generosity and compassion!!...Nigera....sort yourselves out because at the moment you should hang your heads in shame....

You know what is the saddest fact is in all of this scamming from Nigeria, guys like you and me, just ordinary guys, from here in the UK and also EU countries in general over the years have raised and sent billions of our hard earned cash to help the African people out of their terrible poverty and misery, is this the way to repay our kindness, generosity and compassion!!...Nigera....sort yourselves out because at the moment you should hang your heads in shame....

What a very strange first post. Of course it isn't "the way to repay..." but then again, the two things (scamming and international aid) aren't really connected are they? Please don't use this site for your racist ramblings.

advertisement

Back