advertisement

Scam warning

When buying second hand privately I always ask for a phone number.
I'll give a quick call to see if someone is real.
It is not 100% fool proof but it does help.

I reported those on the day they appeared and guess what? fleabay ignored the report.

There is also another ass selling "reports" about alleged fake LS3/5a's. Yes ... selling unsubstantiated information and 10 copies at that! Total crap that has been reported 3 times yet it's still not pulled. The numbsculls at fleabay can't even see that it's potentially harming sales as potential buyers are put off. It's already worried one buyer who posts on the ls3/5a forum.

Hello All

I'm new on this particular forum but I do have quite a bit of experience on others to do with the various hobbies I have. I'd just thought I'd add my 2cents. (Also I hope it legitimises me a bit!):

The way I see this is that there are 3 types of risky people and each have a different way of dealing with them:

1. The complete fake- someone who isn't who they say they are. These are the real scammers but it can be easy enough to combat this. As someone has already said ask for their real name and phone number- then Google it. Do they have a general internet footprint? Do they come up on facebook with real friends? If so- send them a message on Facebook to confirm. Ask for their Ebay user ID and contact them through that just to confirm. Look at their feedback there too.
2. The real but dishonest person- they sell you something that isn't what they said it was (e.g. it is obviously faulty when they said it was OK or they "forget" to mention something critical- like it's the wrong voltage for you or they swear they sent the money but it must have got lost somewhere). This is harder to deal with and all you can do is make sure that you get ORIGINAL photos of the item and as clear and as specific a description as possible. If necessary write what YOU think you are buying and send it to them to confirm. This way at least any discrepancy can be based on a real fact which in a worse case you can pursue through the small claims court fairly easily.
3. A person who's real but a numpty- Hardest of all to deal with but at least they mean well. This is the person who mails you a satellite receiver in an unpadded envelope or didn't know that MS Word won't run on a 20yo BBC Micro (True stores!). Here you just have to have a bit of patience and guide people if you suspect they need it. Or just say no to their offer.

As I said- I'm new here but I hope this helps...

I've been ripped off too. The user was called 'tama' on here although I think he's now been banned.

I probably should have checked before buying as he used his real name I think, 'Simon H Barton' and there's plenty threads about him if i'd used my noggin and checked:

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?38297-Protect-yourself-when-buying!&

http://thecrossovernetwork.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?5282-Don-t-buy-from-this-member!

seems like he's in some shitty band called mojo. If anyone's nearby and fancies going to a gig, i'll pay the entrance fee for you if you promise to get on stage and boot him in the cock as hard as you can.

Our nigerian scammer is back:

Username: Lucas

Registration email: [email protected]

Registration IP address: 41.71.151.231

Whois result for above IP address:

inetnum: 41.71.128.0 - 41.71.255.255
netname: VISAFONE-20100803
descr: Visafone Communications Limited
admin-c: FY2-AFRINIC
tech-c: FY2-AFRINIC
org: ORG-VCL3-AFRINIC
mnt-by: AFRINIC-HM-MNT
mnt-lower: VISAFONE-MNT
source: AFRINIC # Filtered
parent: 41.0.0.0 - 41.255.255.255

organisation: ORG-VCL3-AFRINIC
org-name: Visafone Communications Limited
org-type: LIR
address: 12, Ologun Agbaje Street
address: Victoria Island
address: Lagos
e-mail: *********@visafone.com.ng
phone: +2347025551211
fax-no: +23412624287
admin-c: FY2-AFRINIC
tech-c: FY2-AFRINIC
mnt-ref: AFRINIC-HM-MNT
mnt-ref: VISAFONE-MNT
mnt-by: AFRINIC-HM-MNT

person: Fred Young
nic-hdl: FY2-AFRINIC
address: 33 Saka Tinubu Street
address: Victoria Island
address: Lagos Nigeria
address: Lagos
address: Nigeria
e-mail: **********@cybaaspace.net
e-mail: *********@visafone.com.ng
phone: +2347025551211
fax-no: +23412624287

Here's a sample PM:

Wanted - Avondale TPX2

GOOD DAY

i am lucas adriaenssen ,i will trying to place and advert on this site and i came accross your own,well i just want to let you that i still have it for sale and still in wonderful condition,please contact me for more details,my contact address is indicated below

[email protected]

ADDRESS................
Passeig Vilanova, 58, Sitges, Catalunya, 8870, Spain

User now deleted along with all sent PMs.

My advice is not to deal with anyone with zero posts and certainly not anyone who contacts you suggesting you contact them via an anonymous freebie email address e.g. gmail, hotmail etc etc. Don't ever deal with anyone that you can't pin down to a physical location. This one used the same pattern as before, i.e. pretended to be from Spain, though the IP address is in Africa.

Tony.

PS please hit the Report PM button (the little 'r') if you get any crap like the above - I can only act if I know there is an issue.

<moderating>

I've moved the content relating to safe buying / selling into a new thread here as it deserved a thread on it's own IMO.

Tony.

Hi fellow enthusiasts.

First a note to mods.. If this is in the wrong section I appologise but I feel I must warn members of this so please move to relevant section if needed.

I have been browsing the net for a short while looking for second hand power amps.

I happened to stumble upon this advert on craigslist.

DENON POA-S1 AMPLIFIER PAIR (Two)

Advertising a pair of Denon power amps that retailed for $40000 dollars when new. Currently a few on eBay at $15000 (£9700). In this craigslist ad they are up for £2950.

I figured it has to be a scam but we shall check just to be sure.

After some back and forth emails i noticed something was not right. I recognised the photos he was using in the ad. They are from eBay - DENON POA-S1, THE RAREST DENON AMPLIFIER- BUY THESE! | eBay

So a little bit more back and forth and me playing gullible I managed to get his bank details, name and address. London. Which is where the amps are advertised but are now some how in Shetland. Lol.

Upon me informing him that I will not be transferring money to him he gets all shirty and says I am trying to defraud him from his bank details.... Please see my next reply, followed by his. Really quite commical.

Exert from email string between myself (marchnr01) and the scammer (electronicsecltd).

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 7:50 PM, Nick March <[email protected]> wrote:
Felling nervous are we.

It's not me that is trying to run a scam.

Your photos are not your own and I VERY highly doubt you even know what a power amp is over a processor, let alone ever been with in 1000 miles of a denon poa s1.

If you do indeed own such items then provide me now with current photos, not ones lifted from eBay, Australian or American.*

You would also be happy to accept my friend to come and collect direct from you if you were indeed not running a scam.

Lastly CRAIGLIST, really! Ever heard of too good to be true.

If you threaten me again I shall indeed forward all of this to the police and publish all of your details, minus the bank details, all over the internet hifi forums

All I can say is this, if you have the Amps available then I still want them but there is not a chance in he'll that i would send any money to you.

If you have not got the Amps then good try but unfortunately I sniffed you out from the get go. Your very first reply had me concerned. Also, electronic security ltd.... Another nice attempt if not the only attempt at installing some kind of confidence and trust in you.

Put this down to a learning experience and move on. Call it constructive criticism on your chosen profession.

Many thanks for the enjoyable couple of days and I am sorry you have not successfully found a mug this time.

Nick

On 12 Jul 2011, at 19:52, Electronic Security Ltd <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi,

It's not. Srry mate

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 8:33 PM, Nick March <[email protected]> wrote:
Don't apologise if it's not a scam. As said I still would love to buy these amps if you have them.

But I will need to see current photos preferably with today's paper on or something to prove you indeed have them.*

And I need to be able to pick them up WHERE EVER in the county you may be.

I shall leave it with you.*

Many thanks

Nick March

On 13 Jul 2011, at 10:17 Electronic Security Ltd <[email protected]> wrote:

but it is... they don't exist

So there we have it. I have reported his scam to craigslist... Should I report to the police also as I have all his bank details.

Just for all your security sake the offending persons current details are.

[email protected]

Bank Name: Barclays
Bakos Laszlo
** Woodheyes Road, Willesden, London, NW10 9DE, United Kingdom
Account Number: ******26
Sort Code: 20-92-63
Iban: GB46 BARC **********26
Swift: BARCGB22

Again, sorry if this is in the wrong place or not even suitable for the forum just I thought I should warn all. However, not for one minute do I believe any of the members here will fall for this scam.

Many thanks for your time.

Nick March

Just to warn fellow Pinkfishers of someone to be avoided. As per the above comment, he might not be an out and out scammer, but is certainly a twerp of the highest order. I don't know if he uses PFM, but feel it only fair to warn everyone

He is a Scottish guy from Bristol who goes by the name of either Stephen Baird or Stephen James - his email is diskomagik@ either hotmail.com (that's what he uses for Paypal) or googlemail.com

The story goes thus - the guy was selling an amp (Marantz PM66 KI Signature), was quick enough to send it, reasonably well packed. However it had a severe crackle on one channel. So I tell him this, and he says "Fine, send it back and I'll refund you". So I send it back, and the refund isn't forthcoming, just vague promises about him 'sorting it at the earliest moment' and general bullshit.
Luckily the guy was stupid enough to actually say he would refund me, and as I paid using Paypal gift with my credit card the credit card company have now refunded me via Paypal chargeback.
Avoid like the plague.

rbuyer1980, seems as though he could be a scammer. If not, he's certainly a twat.

See my thread in the classifieds : http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=106026

I recently sold items to rbuyer1980 on two occasions. The transactions went completely smoothly and I would happily deal with him again. YMMV and whatnot, of course, and I am sorry your dealings with him didn't go well but from my own experience I must say that I do not believe him to be any kind of a scammer at all.

Regards,

D

Please be very careful about this rbuyer1980 guy. He is a guy from Hong Kong deeply obsessed with Linn and Naim stuff.

This guy is a compulsive liar and in fact has gotten braver lately. He is in fact being investigated by the local police for theft. Can’t disclose too much as the case is still active. All I can say is my friend has several pieces of equipment missing in action.

Like the previous poster I have been lucky and have actually transacted with him with no problem. I do know he uses various monikers and have been complained various times of scams and dishonesty. Looking back I suspected the goods I received from him had signs of having been acquired questionably, with invoice of a very new piece equipment from a retailer I know that had invoice number that dated back years ago.

This guy is quite cunning and has been known to forge Naim service tickets as confirmed by Naim HQ.

He used various monikers; ones I remember include JIM329, JAIM, MKHIFI and many more.

Someone from Pinkfish blew his cover and posted his mailing and email address previously.

http://pul.se/SCAMMERS-ACTIVE-ON-THIS-FORUM_Audio-classifieds-lrknjkMnk4x,6bdd1GEBnjcE

I post this mostly to warn people of this character, and also to remind people that many of the scams from Hong Kong are actually the work by one person under different names. I notice that people are leery of dealing with people outside of UK but most of us are just honest audio fools.

Zero feedback seller — http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=230706869717.

He forced me to pay via fake eBay's Representative bank account:
«I am unable to use my paypal account at the moment but I have made a deposit with eBay to cover this transaction. Please follow the instructions from eBay to complete this deal. Thank you!»

Bank Name: " HSBC BANK "
eBay Representative: MIHAI BORA
Account Number: 41596721
IBAN: GB41MIDL40072741596721
Sort Code : 40-07-27
BIC: MIDLGB2143G
eBay representative address: 110 Swaythling Close London N18 2QQ
Bank Address: WILLESDEN GREEN, LONDON NW10 2TA, UK
Bank Country: UNITED KINGDOM

Please beware!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
We have never sold a Koma in the UK EVER! so if you would have rung me or emailed me i could have told you this, also look at the feedback ....
Come On would any one send money?

I have filed a Scam report on your behalf

follow this link

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=110...48761e8b82c3e541:0x2fc7c1c40bfaf7e9,110+Swayt

goolempas show its a flat in Enfield

192 .com throws up some interesting facts too!

http://www.192.com/prices/details/250e529e3cee2fbb3b6cb7dc070e2a6886e799dc/lr/

Seems also he was operating a company that defaulted too GAL TRANS

http://www.dellam.com/07050169-GAL TRANS LIMITED.html

The police do take these scams seriously, so please do report them especially if you have managed to get some of their bank details.

I forwarded my above scam warning to the NFIB... Who in turn passed it all on to the police. I forgot all about it, I wasn't actually scammed, just got the scammer to admit it was a scam.

Well I am not in contact with the met police and a victim liaison officer as the case is underway and they are prosecuting. I have been asked for dates that I would not be able to attend court.

Seams willesden green is the scam Capitol of the uk.

At the moment Spain is not adjoining to Nigeria. I know it first-hand because I'm from Spain. Nevertheless, scam is a fact with which all of us have to live together in the net and we have to be familiar with. I can't hide that english is not my maternal lenguage, so, I assume that if I send a message to buy something or to ask about an ad, high percentage of members will not respond in fear of scam. By myself, sometimes I have sent ads I have found in spanish web sites to spanish police but I'm not sure if that belongs to them or to english police because usually these people lives out of our countries.

Hi I've received an offer on my naim cdi from Rbuyer 1980. having read the info on here about him, I'm going to have to pass, as I can't afford to risk losing that much.

Hi folks,
I have just received the following pm in response to my Audio Synthesis DAX 2 for sale ad:

Can you ship to Hong Kong and accept paypal? Please let me know the shipping charge and time.

Best Regards

Eric

This person joined as EOS in May 2011, has no previous posts and has posted no personal info. Am I being over-cautious?

advertisement

Back