advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XII)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for all the replies with regards to the optical to coax converters. I found another device if anyone is interested that does 2 inputs and 2 outputs of either and is quite sturdy:

http://www.hdmi.co.uk/octava-ts-a11-toslink-spdif-digital-audio-converter.html

That's £46, plus P&P against £10 and it appears to only allow one input at a time (either Coaxial or Optical) so not sure how it's better other than it appears to have metal case.

Your money, your choice.

Hi Steve,

No problem :)

When your feeling braver - just PM with a contact phone number and I can talk you though it - its not as hard as it first looks :)

Hardest part is to remove the Torx screws on the side of the unit - T6 or T7 depending upon the tolerance.

John

Hi John

I got the screws out alright - though I had to dig around to find a T6 screwdriver and while the front panel came off easily the electronics are quite a tight fit in the case and would not move with a force than I felt comfitable with - at this stage I'd rather have a functional unit with a minor problem than risk breaking it and having no Dac!

Steve

Hi John

I got the screws out alright - though I had to dig around to find a T6 screwdriver and while the front panel came off easily the electronics are quite a tight fit in the case and would not move with a force than I felt comfitable with - at this stage I'd rather have a functional unit with a minor problem than risk breaking it and having no Dac!

Steve

Hi Steve,

There is foam tape between the casing and the back panel it initially is hard to move, but comes out.

Regards
Peter

Actually I was referring to one of the statements you made before. Maybe someone will prefer a more narrow representation.

After reading my own post something came into my mind: The music is more detached from the speakers.

After reading my own post something came into my mind: The music is more detached from the speakers.

Tell you what I happens to me occasionally while listening to the upgraded MDAC - I would find myself glancing across the room because I heard something coming from some hidden corner of the room - wondering what Bobby and Paris are up too!... only to realise its on the recording - such is the sound stage on the upgraded MDAC...

I don't want to put words in your mouth - but I guess your reservations concern the "loss" of Bass - despite now being deeper and more controlled?

Despite the vices of the standard MDAC, its "Fuller & fatter" body is better then being too lean....

However, after listening to the upgraded unit, I find the standard MDAC just a touch congested and "clumpy"... preferring the upgraded unit despite my reservations about its Bass "Body"...

I found that with the "DC input" modified units the Bass becomes "seismic" its the missing part of the puzzle... It really impressive, does not take anything away, just adds the Bass weight - without overhang or clouding the music - like a good sub-woofer should do...

MPAX is desperately need - and I'm glad as I've always had concerns about a GBP400 unit - if it would offer good valve for money, but after playing about with the updated units last week - I'm now very confident :)

I'm not in anyway saying the standard MDAC is bad, I'm just trying to improve a design that gets an awful lot right and at a relatively budget price (in our crazy non realistic world of HiFi)!

John

I can't wait for the MPAX and as for your amazing sounding valve project...it is getting to much while living with my clumpy MDAC.

Actually I am really enjoying it, after a month of ownership it is really singing, I have my setup in such a way I can switch between my original Transporter (DAC is AK4396) and the M-DAC and there is no competition. so what your mods will do to it, I wait with excitement. Also seriously wanting to move on from my Naim 250's active pair into SBL's. So might go all in and be in the queue for MPAX, mods to M-DAC, MAMPS and Valve Analogue (if you have the time for all of these!)

Got any speakers you are designing ;-)

John, as a Fan of electronic Music like Kraftwerk I am really hoping for a quick Production of the m-Pax. Don't get me wrong, M-Dac is far beyond my expectations, but more control is like RAM, more is better.

Waiting for your Company Web page to Place an Order!

Hi John, I was thinking of trying v0.5-currently on version 0.9 but some are saying the former is best(btw I'm on a mac).
Cheers

Frank

Tell you what I happens to me occasionally while listening to the upgraded MDAC - I would find myself glancing across the room because I heard something coming from some hidden corner of the room... only to realise its on the recording - such is the sound stage on the upgraded MDAC...

I don't want to put words in your mouth - but I guess your reservations concern the "loss" of Bass - despite now being deeper and more controlled?

Despite the vices of the standard MDAC, its "Fuller & fatter" body is better then being too lean....

However, after listening to the upgraded unit, I find the standard MDAC congested and "clumpy"... preferring the upgraded unit despite my reservations about its Bass "Body"...

I found that with the "DC input" modified units the Bass becomes "seismic" its the missing part of the puzzle... It really impressive, does not take anything away, just adds the Bass weight - without overhang or clouding the music - like a good sub-woofer should do...

MPAX is desperately need - and I'm glad as I've always had concerns about a GBP400 unit - if it would offer good valve for money, but after playing about with the updated units last week - I'm now very confident :)

I'm not in anyway saying the standard MDAC is bad, I'm just trying to improve a design that gets an awful lot right and at a relatively budget price (in our crazy non realistic world of HiFi)!

John

Oh boy! I'd guess I should apologize for my poor choice of words.

Bass ... hard to tell ... don't worry there is plenty of. More? Less? Well, it' sooooo precise, sharp, controlled. As if it was made for my speakers.

I didn't want to comment on the perceived quantity of bass. Rather hard without the possibility to do an A/B comparison. Be assured I like the new bass representation or else I wouldn't have said: "As if it was made for my speakers."

I'm looking forward to the MPAX and the MAMP. In fact I believe that my CA 840W is not a good match for my speakers. Especially regarding speaker control.

Michael

JohnW:
Finally i will go to a local tech to fix my unit. Do you have direction i can give him to look at some specific parts instead of blind search ?
According to my problem (no sound on one (but sometimes two) RCA outputs when unit heats)) you sometimes mention a relay problem right ?

Best regards

JohnW:
Finally i will go to a local tech to fix my unit. Do you have direction i can give him to look at some specific parts instead of blind search ?
According to my problem (no sound on one (but sometimes two) RCA outputs when unit heats)) you sometimes mention a relay problem right ?

Best regards

hluga,

If the issue only effects the Line outputs, and Headphones are OK, then it well be the relay the "Mutes" the relevant output.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back