advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XII)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hallo John

Q4/2012 is almost here. Thats the time Creek DAC/ Pre is expected.
Am I right?
Would not that be a good opportunity to take on more technical details and features, setting?

----------
regards
f.s.

After Munich I put the BDAC aside to work on the MAMP which took me much longer to develop - now back working on the BDAC project.

Unfortunately, during this time Dominik has conceived a better solution for the USB 192kHz interface which originally used a solution based upon the XMOS which is restrictive, power hungry and has other disadvantages. Despite the disruption caused by having to redesign with the new solution it makes better long-term sense so I'm now having to redesign the already completed digital section making use of the new solution.

Hopefully I will still have the time to design the product I'd like it to be...

John

Hi John

I've just had a go at getting into the unit - this is not just a simple case of 'taking the lid off' - so I'm going to chicken out at the moment.

I'll keep an eye on the offset and if it gets any worse - or if I feel in a braver mood - I'll come back and ask again.

Many thanks for your efforts and explanation so far

Steve

Hi Steve,

No problem :)

When your feeling braver - just PM with a contact phone number and I can talk you though it - its not as hard as it first looks :)

Hardest part is to remove the Torx screws on the side of the unit - T6 or T7 depending upon the tolerance.

John

After Munich I put the BDAC aside to work on the MAMP which took me much longer to develop - now back working on the BDAC project.
Hopefully I will still have the time to design the product I'd like it to be...
John

Thanks for your answer.
but i am a little surprised. Did you get from Creek no target date for the project?
on there website you can read:
--------------
The EVOLUTION 50D is a CD player, high-end DAC and digital Pre-amp that sees Creek Audio entering into the world of digital connectivity and computer-based music storage. ... Expected availability is from September/October,...
-------------
my understanding was that DAC/ Pre is just a spinnoff of the EVO 50D.
aren't you responsible for the EVO 50D, too?

regards
f.s.

Thanks for your answer.
but i am a little surprised. Did you get from Creek no target date for the project?
--------------
The EVOLUTION 50D is a CD player, high-end DAC and digital Pre-amp that sees Creek Audio entering into the world of digital connectivity and computer-based music storage. ... Expected availability is from September/October,...
-------------
my understanding was that DAC/ Pre is just a spinnoff of the EVO 50D.
aren't you responsible for the EVO 50D, too?

regards
f.s.

Hi Fred,

The Creek CD player / DAC we are working on is a 100% ground-up new design - we have had nothing to do with the older Creek designs; I've not seen any of the Creek production CD players so cannot comment on there design.

Target is to try to meet the Christmas time frame.

John

The Creek CD player / DAC we are working on is a 100% ground-up new design - we have had nothing to do with the older Creek designs...

John

Hi John,
any comment about the quoted text below?
Is it really objective to get the High-End DAC/CD player for 550 quids?
No doubt it will be good, even more, but..High-End?
Looking forward to try it myself.

...Creek ...
--------------
-------------

Thanx for the aswer!

Rocket ;)

I have run out of optical inputs on my MDAC. Was wondering if John or anyone else could recommend an optical to coax converter?

I have run out of optical inputs on my MDAC. Was wondering if John or anyone else could recommend an optical to coax converter?

I'm now using a Meridian MPMAX 221 to feed my turntable into the MDAC, and it has an optical digital in, as well as analogue in, and coax digital out. Meridian should know what they are doing in the digital domain, so I guess it will do a bit perfect job. I don't think they are made any more, I picked mine up used on ebay. Sounds better than the EMU 404 and is also easier to use.

I'm now using a Meridian MPMAX 221 to feed my turntable into the MDAC, and it has an optical digital in, as well as analogue in, and coax digital out. Meridian should know what they are doing in the digital domain, so I guess it will do a bit perfect job. I don't think they are made any more, I picked mine up used on ebay. Sounds better than the EMU 404 and is also easier to use.

???

If I understand correctly you're sending the analogue output of your TT into a ADC (analogue to digital converter), in order for you to send the resultant output into a DAC (digital to analogue converter)...what is point..? Surely that can't give good SQ results, or am I missing something :)

???

If I understand correctly you're sending the analogue output of your TT into a ADC (analogue to digital converter), in order for you to send the resultant output into a DAC (digital to analogue converter)...what is point..? Surely that can't give good SQ results, or am I missing something :)

It'll help stop these perhaps??

snap_crackle_pop.gif

???

It does seem daft I will admit, but, I use the MDAC as my preamp, so at the moment I don't have an analogue route to my speakers. I bought an EMU404 as a temporary fix whilst I wait for the MPAX PSU for the MDAC which will have an analogue pass-through with volume control.
However, the results with the EMU were shockingly good, and the MPMAX is (slightly) better yet. Although the thought of digitising my analogue source is quite horrifying, the overall combination is delivering detail from records I've had for over 30years that I simply haven't heard before. It sounds absolutely superb.
I'm not doing any DSP, or filtering of any sort, just straight AtoD then DtoA.

I use one like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001U7ERU6/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21 to connect my least important/used input, which in my case is TV tuner (I normally use my PVR Tuners).

Works and sounds fine but dose show up as 47,999 actual rather than 48,000 but it is connected via a 5m coaxial cable and 1m optical.

IMO, for around £10, you can't go far wrong.

Or, if you have a spare Dac that has optical out (e.g DacMagic) you can use that.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back