advertisement

MDAC first listen (part VII)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought I would update, since I had a windows machine at home. Went through smoothly within 5 seconds. It may sound better too, just using it as background noise at the moment.

Just done the update and it worked perfectly, thanks John and Dom.

As for the SQ well it does seem better, it was already superb but now seems even more rythmic and musical, though its no doubt just my imagination :D

SQ always sounds better with increased WQ IMHO.
WQ being wine quotient!
My Celestion A3's have 3 bass drivers which love to be driven, and now they are.
So the update does sound 'better' or is it the WQ ??
No.there is more punch and attack, now onto Joss Stone-Soul Sessions, always been punchy but more so now.

Even with my potentially faulty relay LOL (whatever LOL stands for thesedays)

I'm not trying to promote the M-TRN, but just state the important difference - The 192kHz USB port on the M-TRN is clock locked to the M-DAC and you have full galvanic isolation... But it will not be available for atleast 3 months.

Hi John, any chance you could respond to this?
My CD player has just broken and I'm thinking of replacing it with the Pro-Ject Box SE as a transport to my M-DAC. I would, however, much prefer to wait for the M-TRN, if you think it really will make it to the stores in the not too distant future. Is it something you and Dominic are still working on? If so, do you have an ETA? (According to your last [?] comment on MTRAN, copied above, it should be ready about now...)

I'm not trying to promote the M-TRN, but just state the important difference - The 192kHz USB port on the M-TRN is clock locked to the M-DAC and you have full galvanic isolation... But it will not be available for atleast 3 months.

Hi John, any chance you could respond to this?
My CD player has just broken and I'm thinking of replacing it with the Pro-Ject Box SE as a transport to my M-DAC. I would, however, much prefer to wait for the M-TRN, if you think it really will make it to the stores in the not too distant future. Is it something you and Dominic are still working on? If so, do you have an ETA? (According to your last [?] comment on MTRAN, copied above, it should be ready about now...)

Hi simonom,

Sorry its been a very busy week - catching up after Munich.

Yes - we are still proceeding with the M-Trans project - about 3 months for first units..

John

SQ always sounds better with increased WQ IMHO.
WQ being wine quotient!
My Celestion A3's have 3 bass drivers which love to be driven, and now they are.
So the update does sound 'better' or is it the WQ ??
No.there is more punch and attack, now onto Joss Stone-Soul Sessions, always been punchy but more so now.

Even with my potentially faulty relay LOL (whatever LOL stands for thesedays)

& Carlos68...

That was also my first impressions, and I was not expecting any difference in audio quality - I'd be interested in others (with less wine maybe :) ) findings - don't you just love audio...

John

Yes but I'm only on 16 Bit 44.1 khz.
And several glasses of WQ.
Can it get better ??

now my PC is repeating !!

Not yet, the Forum had a wobble. all these zeros and ones must have gone to its processor!

But a serious question, in your opinon is 24 bit any advantage yes/no

(in the replay chain)

All my music is from CD so it'll only ever be 16/44.1 I reckon with a well executed recording, you'd struggle to hear the difference between the two...

Not yet, the Forum had a wobble. all these zeros and ones must have gone to its processor!

But a serious question, in your opinon is 24 bit any advantage yes/no

I'm all for any true increase in resolution... cannot make things worst...

HiFi = High Fidelity... (More Data, closer to the original)...

All my music is from CD so it'll only ever be 16/44.1 I reckon with a well executed recording, you'd struggle to hear the difference between the two...

Truth to be told, I've only got 16/44.1kHz recordings...

But the other day we helped carry a 2 Inch!!!! 2 Track studio recorder up a tight stairwell at a friends recording studio, like a 120Kg - 4 of us and I can tell you someone did not carry there share of the weight because I carried more then 30Kg's....Anyway now about to start work on a reference grade ADC...

Neil Young said something similar. Then someone with several degrees in the working of the human brain and ears showed that it was not possible.
He, however failed to take into account the WQ.!.

Anyway this takes us off topic, your box is currently the best thing I have heard so I'm in Audio Nirvana.

Could I ask if you could do a simple test.

Select the desired Pre-Amplifier Mode - and then just power-off the unit.

When you re power - has the MDAC remember your Pre-Amplifier selection?

John

Hi John,

My MDAC is also capricious when trying to switch between preamp modes. I've tried the above test, but the unit doesn't remember the setting.

I've tried resetting to factory defaults, to no avail.

Holding down the volume control on power up shows 15.9 V (starts at 15.6 or 15.7 then stabilizes).

I'm still on v.0.90, but with suggestions that v0.99 may sound better....

Thanks,

Jan

Hi John,

Just to let you know I've updated to the latest 0.99/0.97 from 0.91 with no problems on Win 7 64-bit. Love the Lakewest logo!

Not had chance to listen to any differences yet. What did you do that makes you think the SQ has changed? I'll do this later on and without wine!

I think the next update I do will be the Lakewset one.

Cheers,

Ben

Hello all, my first post on here, have just upgraded from v.0.96 to 0.99 firmware, and listenin through USB, something's definitely changed, music is more engaging to listen to, but I can't quite put my finger on why, maybe it sounds less 'digital' as previously mentioned. Would urge others to upgrade to 0.99 and listen for themselves - is there any obvious technical reason for this sonic change Mr Westlake, or is it simply 'Emperors New Clothes' syndrome, am stone-cold sober as I type, well it's only 10.30am here...

Must do the update tonight, though I am not expecting any sound improvement tbh. However, if one happens along, I'll be happy....

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back