advertisement

MDAC first listen (part VII)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope. Doesn't work as well. Tried on the two units.

OK, thanks - If you hold down the knob on power-up whats your voltage reading?

Could you Pls. also try resetting the units (Hold down Sel Up and Down) upon power up and see if you now select Pre-Amp mode correctly.

Thank you,

John

Hi everyone!

I just received the MDAC v0.99 Beta Update from John.

Changes:
-"Should" solve ESS Left channel locking Design Bug (feedback would be appreciated)
-Adds "Phase invert" option

JohnW@Email said:
I have a really poor system on my Lab bench, but I'm inclined to believe the MDAC sounds better with this update... Not done A/B comparisons but....

v0.99 (Beta): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/75485064/mdac-update-v0.99.zip

You'll find a readme.txt with instruction included within the zipfile!

Checksums:
mdac-update-v0.99.exe (MD5: fda41b02cc87c43b2b84bad547a5690c, CRC32: b06e5f18)
mdac-update-v0.99.zip (MD5: 0575b1420a67dbe1e02078811921b401, CRC32: e29b1b0d)

Michael

The previous versions (just in case):
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/75485064/mdac-update-v0.96.zip (last update)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/75485064/mdac-update-v0.90.zip (initial version)

Installed ok, version is now 0.97/0.99. I will report any left channel crackling which drove me nuts on the 0.96 (rare occurance but rather annoying). I do not recall having the crackling issue on the stock 0.90 software at all and I used it for the longest time.

Awesome, just installed this - just to confirm, once loaded it displays v0.99/0.97 - i take it this is correct :)

haha beat me to it - must be correct then, and I will also feedback whether it's cured the insanely annoying crackling issue :)

Top work John/Dom :)

Awesome, just installed this - just to confirm, once loaded it displays v0.99/0.97 - i take it this is correct :)

Yes - still a beta, we will change "Polarity" to "Phase Invert" in the menu - still trying to recreate or understand the Pre-Amplifier selection issue...

Any noticeable difference in SQ?

John

Hi everyone!

Changes:
-"Should" solve ESS Left channel locking Design Bug (feedback would be appreciated)
-Adds "Phase invert" option

v0.99 (Beta): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/75485064/mdac-update-v0.99.zip

You'll find a readme.txt with instruction included within the zipfile!

Checksums:
mdac-update-v0.99.exe (MD5: fda41b02cc87c43b2b84bad547a5690c, CRC32: b06e5f18)
mdac-update-v0.99.zip (MD5: 0575b1420a67dbe1e02078811921b401, CRC32: e29b1b0d)

Michael

The previous versions (just in case):
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/75485064/mdac-update-v0.96.zip (last update)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/75485064/mdac-update-v0.90.zip (initial version)

Hi Michael,

Thank you,

John

Yes - still a beta, we will change "Polarity" to "Phase Invert" in the menu - still trying to recreate or understand the Pre-Amplifier selection issue...

Any noticeable difference in SQ?

John

Well, it's early days (10 mins lol) and I'm playing a new CD that I got today... and my amps cold...so it should sound crap... BUT it sounds crystal clear - the least digital noise I have experienced so far since owning my system. Very happy!!!

Have you done anything that would alter the SQ then? or are you just trying to prompt a placebo effect to make me look silly? :p

Have you done anything that would alter the SQ then? or are you just trying to prompt a placebo effect to make me look silly? :p

Well maybe I'm being really silly, but first impressions was that it sounds better - I've got a horrided pair of active speakers on my Lab bench and streaming from a SBT (Background music while I'm designing) - but it seemed more "full bodied" - no A/B comparisons, just a first unexpected impressions... Not to be taken too seriously - just wondering what others experience...

John

John, are there any known issues with the beta?

When will the final release become available?

Do you have a roadmap for the changes you - or Audiolab - are planning in the next few releases?

Sorry for so many questions.

John, are there any known issues with the beta?

When will the final release become available?

Do you have a roadmap for the changes you - or Audiolab - are planning in the next few releases?

Sorry for so many questions.

We still have not been able to recreate the Pre-Amplifier Mode selection issue - and we will tidy up the naming of the Phase Select menu option.

We are waiting for feedback if we have managed to resolve the ESS left channel locking issue.

We will release a Lakewest release with Display dimming / Display Off, input naming and a few other additions.

John

Update 0.97/0.99 successful, I think it does sound better, deeper bass, only heard one song.....Reasons to be cheerful -Ian Dury !!!!!!

many thanks John/Dom.

Still using 3db. balance shift to right channel tho ?

Hi John,

This is another feature request. I don't know if this is at all possible but if it is then maybe it could be included in the Lakewest build.
I would like the inputs to the selectable by using dedicated remote buttons. This comes in handy when using activities with a universal remote such as the Logitech Harmony one+. Activity "watch tv" can then select the proper input on the MDAC.
The remote that came with the MDAC does not have enough buttons to do that but maybe you could make this an option in the configuration. Something like "selectable inputs". When set to yes, the remote play, stop, prev and next buttons could be used to select the inputs.
People who use the MDAC with USB could leave the sect able inputs option to no so that current behavior is maintained.

Update 0.97/0.99 successful, I think it does sound better, deeper bass, only heard one song.....Reasons to be cheerful -Ian Dury !!!!!!

many thanks John/Dom.

Still using 3db. balance shift to right channel tho ?

Reasons to be cheerful? I don't want to make a bad day, but if your MDAC needs to be set to 3dB to the right, sounds like a hardware issue - maybe a bad relay?

Have you tried headphones?

Wait for a while until we have an update package and Ill repair and update your unit (as long as your in Europe).

John

Hi John,

This is another feature request. I don't know if this is at all possible but if it is then maybe it could be included in the Lakewest build.
I would like the inputs to the selectable by using dedicated remote buttons. This comes in handy when using activities with a universal remote such as the Logitech Harmony one+. Activity "watch tv" can then select the proper input on the MDAC.
The remote that came with the MDAC does not have enough buttons to do that but maybe you could make this an option in the configuration. Something like "selectable inputs". When set to yes, the remote play, stop, prev and next buttons could be used to select the inputs.
People who use the MDAC with USB could leave the sect able inputs option to no so that current behavior is maintained.

I believe there are already discrete codes for each input, I'll ask Dominik...

Reasons to be cheerful? I don't want to make a bad day, but if your MDAC needs to be set to 3dB to the right, sounds like a hardware issue - maybe a bad relay?

Have you tried headphones?

Wait for a while until we have an update package and Ill repair and update your unit (as long as your in Europe).

John

Little Feat (Day at the Dog Races,Misterdogs Fav. track !) doesnt sound like it suffers from a bad relay..Anything but.
Haedphones?? i'll go back to my preamp and check that:D.
Only mentioned it because someone else posted needing a balance shift.
Regards Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back