advertisement

MDAC first listen (part VII)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you tried running the updater with elevated privileges (right-click, Run as administrator)?

Sure. Administrator mode makes no difference. Nor does running in XP compatibility mode.

One of life's little mysteries. I do hope it doesn't become a more widespread problem if Audiolab ever get round to releasing the update.

I'm not trying to promote the M-TRN, but just state the important difference - The 192kHz USB port on the M-TRN is clock locked to the M-DAC and you have full galvanic isolation... But it will not be available for atleast 3 months.

Hi John,
My CD player has just broken and I'm thinking of replacing it with the Pro-Ject Box SE as a transport to my M-DAC. I would, however, much prefer to wait for the M-TRN, if you think it really will make it to the stores in the not too distant future. Is it something you and Dominic are still working on? If so, do you have an ETA?
Thanks,
Simon

The error Message "Cannot acquire handle" we believe refers to the HID interface used to communicate with the MDAC - and transfer the software payload...

Odd, no idea why your system has issues...

Good old XP to the rescue...

John

FYI
Window 7 32bit has no problem running the updater program.
Also the HID seems to work as the remote Start, Stop, Next, Prev commands all seem to work nicely in the Foobar player.

I think the updater not working has nothing to do with the version of windows 7. I have had no problems with W7 64-bit.

I'am suspecting it has something to do with:
* User is not administrator of the PC
* UAC is enabled and/or set to "high"
* The windows 7 has exotic user management (for instance a work laptop with dedicated support, and less rights for regular user to fiddle around)
* Advanced virus protection is seeing the updater as an intruder and automatically preventing the software from getting the "handle" to the device.

* Advanced virus protection is seeing the updater as an intruder and automatically preventing the software from getting the "handle" to the device.
This is an issue I experienced on my XP machine. I had to temporarily disable my anti-virus during the upgrade process.

John,

a completely different question. I would like to connect a NAS with MDAC or BDAC:
But:
Basis of my thoughts are that there are a USB master and slave.
So for example PC (master) and mouse (slave).
Furthermore, I assume that acts of Raid5-capable NAS QNAP TS-419P II as a master in his USB ports.
The guess is that the USB device as a supplier or the backup medium. So the QNAP says what to do.

On the NAS I would like to store plenty of audio data as well as BU for my laptop.

now I would like to connect the QNAP to a DAC.
Did MDAC or BDAC act like master or slave?
how could I connect an IT device (RAID5 NAS) so easily with a DAC via USB?

If "your" DACs would have an Ethernetport, everything would be easy ;-)

For a concise, I would be grateful.

John,

a completely different question. I would like to connect a NAS with MDAC or BDAC:
But:
Basis of my thoughts are that there are a USB master and slave.
So for example PC (master) and mouse (slave).
Furthermore, I assume that acts of Raid5-capable NAS QNAP TS-419P II as a master in his USB ports.
The guess is that the USB device as a supplier or the backup medium. So the QNAP says what to do.

On the NAS I would like to store plenty of audio data as well as BU for my laptop.

now I would like to connect the QNAP to a DAC.
Did MDAC or BDAC act like master or slave?
how could I connect an IT device (RAID5 NAS) so easily with a DAC via USB?

If "your" DACs would have an Ethernetport, everything would be easy ;-)

For a concise, I would be grateful.

Hi

How are you planning to play music when connecting a NAS directly to the M-Dac ?

You would have to find a NAS with some sort of music client software built in otherwise it wouldn't work !

I know in a previous post someone on here did get a NAS working that had a music client running on it but i don't know what make and model it was.

Hi
How are you planning to play music when connecting a NAS directly to the M-Dac ?
You would have to find a NAS with some sort of music client software built in otherwise it wouldn't work !

qnap TS-419P II has a build in "UPnP/ Twonky Media Server"
Synology DS412+ is DLNA/UPnP compatible.

Am I right that MDAC / BDAC just act like an external usb soundcard?
you have to delive the mediadata to the dac. MDAC / BDAC could not pickup data from an external drive? so it couldn't also interact with a normal usb stick?
than it would be a usb slave. correct?

The Mdac appears as a USB soundcard, so you still need some device to handle the gui, streaming and decoding of the music files.. Squeezebox touch works well as a simple solution.

Sam

I think the updater not working has nothing to do with the version of windows 7. I have had no problems with W7 64-bit.

I'am suspecting it has something to do with:
* User is not administrator of the PC
* UAC is enabled and/or set to "high"
* The windows 7 has exotic user management (for instance a work laptop with dedicated support, and less rights for regular user to fiddle around)

Indeed success in updating with W7/64 was reported as far back as 24 April, so that cannot be the whole explanation.

It has to be some aspect of my setup, but, I'm afraid, none of the above. I run as administrator, with the "run as admin" flag set for the updater, and I've tried with virus protection uninstalled. It's a home PC with no special configuration. As for UAC, that doesn't block execution but simply prompt the user for permission which, of course, I grant.

I continue to rack my brains. From time to time.

Indeed success in updating with W7/64 was reported as far back as 24 April, so that cannot be the whole explanation.

It has to be some aspect of my setup, but, I'm afraid, none of the above. I run as administrator, with the "run as admin" flag set for the updater, and I've tried with virus protection uninstalled. It's a home PC with no special configuration. As for UAC, that doesn't block execution but simply prompt the user for permission which, of course, I grant.

I continue to rack my brains. From time to time.

I don't even run the updater with the "administrator" flag and it works ok. Sometimes the UAC prompt does not come visible, but it still exists as background window. That might be a problem for some people.

A less likely problem could be that maybe something has broken the USB device enumerator on your PC and the updater is somehow trying to connect to a wrong device? Do you have some new USB device connected while running the updater, or have you removed an USB device, but not uninstalled the drivers?

Hi John, don't worry about it.

I use the M-Dac direct to the power in of my amp anyway. Just want to feedback about it.

I actually have two units of M-Dac and both behave like that. Only managed to test the 2nd unit when I got back from overseas. Both still V0.90 by the way.

More interested in the new firmware that allows the display to be turned off. :D

Could I ask if you could do a simple test.

Select the desired Pre-Amplifier Mode - and then just power-off the unit.

When you re power - has the MDAC remember your Pre-Amplifier selection?

BTW we believe we have a better software solution for the ESS Left Channel crackle issue.. we will release a new software version once we have tried to resolve the Pre-Amplifier selection issue.

John

Apologies for butting in, but that works fine in my set up - M-Dac directly feeding a pair of EAR 509 power amps (then a pair of Quad ESL 63s in case anyone is interested). This is using the latest firmware version.

Unlike some others, the only thing I'd like is a bit more gain in the M-Dac as I'm typically using it with the volume set between -14 and -10 dB.

Apologies for butting in, but that works fine in my set up - M-Dac directly feeding a pair of EAR 509 power amps (then a pair of Quad ESL 63s in case anyone is interested). This is using the latest firmware version.

Unlike some others, the only thing I'd like is a bit more gain in the M-Dac as I'm typically using it with the volume set between -14 and -10 dB.

Stunsworth,

-14 and -10 dB is a perfect level, the higher the better,

John

John, thanks.

At the risk of sounding like gushing fanboy, I'm really enjoying the M-Dac. The old cliché about hearing things that I didn't hear before is so true, not just instrumental detail, but oddly things like the noise floor on older analogue recordings. As they used to say in HiFi News 'a veil is removed'.

John, thanks.

At the risk of sounding like gushing fanboy, I'm really enjoying the M-Dac. The old cliché about hearing things that I didn't hear before is so true, not just instrumental detail, but oddly things like the noise floor on older analogue recordings. As they used to say in HiFi News 'a veil is removed'.

I use the same CD test track over and over again - and it brings a smile to our face when we hear something new in the recording - I'm glad you like your MDAC :)

Hi

I know in a previous post someone on here did get a NAS working that had a music client running on it but i don't know what make and model it was.

Yes my Synology DS211j works using Synology Audio station direct to M-Dac via USB.
I'm struggling to get LMS Squeeze. to work tho. it is installed in my NAS which is supported. SQ is great.

I use the same CD test track over and over again - and it brings a smile to our face when we hear something new in the recording - I'm glad you like your MDAC :)
Hi John,
Pray tell - what's the track? BTW enjoyed your previous recommendation, The Wailin' Jennys. Have you heard Jeffrey Foucault - Horse Latitudes? If not definitely worth a listen.

Cheers

Nope. Doesn't work as well. Tried on the two units.

Could I ask if you could do a simple test.

BTW we believe we have a better software solution for the ESS Left Channel crackle issue.. we will release a new software version once we have tried to resolve the Pre-Amplifier selection issue.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back