advertisement

MDAC first listen (part VII)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to let you know I've updated to the latest 0.99/0.97 from 0.91 with no problems on Win 7 64-bit. Love the Lakewest logo!
I've been busy and have not kept up with the tread last week... The latest update I've got is 0.96/0.96 - it installed flawlessly, but where do I get 0.99/0.97 from?

Hi everyone!

I just received the MDAC v0.99 Beta Update from John.

Changes:
-"Should" solve ESS Left channel locking Design Bug (feedback would be appreciated)
-Adds "Phase invert" option

v0.99 (Beta): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/75485064/mdac-update-v0.99.zip

You'll find a readme.txt with instruction included within the zipfile!

Checksums:
mdac-update-v0.99.exe (MD5: fda41b02cc87c43b2b84bad547a5690c, CRC32: b06e5f18)
mdac-update-v0.99.zip (MD5: 0575b1420a67dbe1e02078811921b401, CRC32: e29b1b0d)

Michael

The previous versions (just in case):
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/75485064/mdac-update-v0.96.zip (last update)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/75485064/mdac-update-v0.90.zip (initial version)

From Here :)

Does anyone know why its so damn hard to get silver mdac? I have been waiting it already 2 months. Dealer tries to offer me black one.

....Anyway now about to start work on a reference grade ADC...

What you have learned in the B-DAC design transfer into a high-end product is likely to result in an interesting product;-)

Have you ever thought about a modular preamp + DAC?
I assume that, no large progress is to be expected within a affordable analogue Preamp (classical English design).
Within digital preamp and DAC on the other hand we will see for a longer time a growing learning curve.

The idea is that you build a good analogue preamp, with a replaceable integrated DAC module.
The customer could own the preamp for a longer time and he have always the possibility to have some progress on the DAC. That would be also resource-saving.
A phono section, I would let outside.

regards
f.s.

I've been unable to run the .exe file (0.99) on my two Macs running Parallels (iMac) and Bootcamp (Macbook), but repeatedly get the error message: "This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix the problem." I've downloaded the .zip folder using different browsers, etc., but to no avail. Out of curiosity, I got the same error msg. when I tried to run the .exe for 0.96, too. Anyone having better luck?

I guess I'm sticking with 0.90 for now.

It would be okay if it weren't so bloody..... well, I'm searching for the right term, but the only one I can come up with is 'possessed'. By demons. Or something. It is just one freakily unusable bit of junk, even if the picture quality* is good.

* if you can perform the necessary incantations to persuade it to open the drawer, never mind get it to play a disc without doing general weird things... ferinstance, it can take six or eight presses of the eject button for it to decide that, yes, you do indeed wish it to eject a disc. Or, how about the fact that if you pause it for more than five minutes or so, it goes to sleep. On waking, you have to watch your blu ray FROM THE BEGINNING. So we've developed a kind of 'watch' which involves me or the wife going to make the tea/answer the phone/settle the kids, whilst the other presses pause every 30 seconds to prevent its narcoleptic reset.

Why do we put up with it? Sheer bloody-mindedness not to admit defeat in the face of the enemy...

Might just have to give in. Life's too short to have to bend over backwards to persuade a hundred quid blu ray player to do what it's meant to do...

Are you running the latest FW?

First unit stabilized around +17.2V while the 2nd unit +17.1V. Seems a bit high.

Local voltage is 220/230V Singapore.

Tried to reset to fty and try to change. No go as well.

OK, thanks - If you hold down the knob on power-up whats your voltage reading?

Could you Pls. also try resetting the units (Hold down Sel Up and Down) upon power up and see if you now select Pre-Amp mode correctly.

Thank you,

John

Is anyone here using a Naim network player? I'm tempted by the ND5s, the 'baby model'..... Would there be any improvement in SQ comparing with a Marantz NA7004 - both going via the MDAC?

Honestly, my initial attraction with the Naim is the iPad app.....seems to be the best one I can find.

Additionally, a friend of mine is interested in the Naim by itself.... Any users here?

Thanks

Is anyone here using a Naim network player? I'm tempted by the ND5s, the 'baby model'..... Would there be any improvement in SQ comparing with a Marantz NA7004 - both going via the MDAC?

Honestly, my initial attraction with the Naim is the iPad app.....seems to be the best one I can find.

Additionally, a friend of mine is interested in the Naim by itself.... Any users here?

Thanks

My friend has a Naim Unity which sounds fantastic. Although I did find the iPad app clunky and unresponsive compare to the Sonos controller app.

It's standalone though, so probably not relevant, not even sure it has dig. out for an external DAC.

OK, I've had a quick listen today and it does sound good!

It seems a bit more insightful at the middle/top with deep, yet more controlled bass....but I find my hifi varies at different times during the day due to (I think) variations in temp and mains activity in the flat I live in anyway.

Either way, the MDAC sounded fantastic without the new firmware and could even sound better now! You're still not saying what you've done, John?! (Is it just the new ESS fix that may have changed the SQ too?).

Ben

My friend has a Naim Unity which sounds fantastic. Although I did find the iPad app clunky and unresponsive compare to the Sonos controller app.

It's standalone though, so probably not relevant, not even sure it has dig. out for an external DAC.

Thanks, I like the sound of the Marantz via the Mdac, my problem is the iPad app.... Will try Sonos - thanks.

All my music is Flac, on my Qnap NAS, have DLNA access...
Thanks

Thanks, I like the sound of the Marantz via the Mdac, my problem is the iPad app.... Will try Sonos - thanks.

All my music is Flac, on my Qnap NAS, have DLNA access...
Thanks

I believe some people have had problems with their Sonos and the MDAC, but I've had no problems whatsoever with any firmware version. Certainly, if you did have problems, the jitter attenuation options would fix it. My Sonos passes the bitperfect test too.

All my music is also FLAC, ripped with dbpoweramp and stored on a WD NAS. The sound the flac/Sonos/MDAC creates is fantastic and beats the CD/Marantz CD player/MDAC combo on sound.

The Sonos on its own sounds "OK", but not in the same league as "quality" hifi without being connected to a DAC.

Sound quality aside, the Sonos' GUI and responsiveness on all the apps (I have iPad, iPhone, PC and Android) and the way they instantly update is unbelievable. I've just got another one for a different room, that one just needs a DAC now!

Hope this helps!

Ben

The sound quality of both will be defined by the MDAC. They both will sound the same.

If your looking for a fantastic remote then Squeezebox is the way to go. Try iPeng or SqueezePad remotes; they are fantastic. I haven't seen a streamer with better user experience then Squeezebox. I had Sonos for one month but if you're used to Squeezebox then you can't live with the shortcomings of the Sonos system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back