advertisement

Audiolab 8200CDQ DAC Issue

I guess I can ship my Mac to you also in the interest of those impacted. Let me know where I can ship it. I need to get busy and deal with my teenager's life vs. my stereo interests. lol
Jason

email

jasonandersen2830
@
comcast.net

I can recommend both Decibel and Audirvana+ as fine MAC players that support FLAC. A+ also integrates well with iTunes.

In both cases the license costs very little. :)

I guess I can ship my Mac to you also in the interest of those impacted. Let me know where I can ship it. I need to get busy and deal with my teenager's life vs. my stereo interests. lol
Jason

email

jasonandersen2830
@
comcast.net

Hi Jason,

Thank you for your kind offer - Dominiks in China so shipping your MAC Mini is not going to happen :)

When I'm next heading to China I'll pick-up a MAC Mini or New MACBook Air (Any MAC with thunderbolt ports) - I'm sure Dom will be happy with a new MACBook Air for his "Research"...

You could ship your teenager over here to Czech Rep. I need the mountains of snow cleared then the fields need ploughing - I'm sure after a week of hard labour most teenage problems will disappear... I wish solving the MAC issue would be so easy…

John

I have a new, up to date iMac with Thunderbolt. I received my MDAC on Tuesday and so far so very good; no problems via USB. So it's not all Macs with Thunderbolt. So far, at least. (Unrelated to the OP: although I have one 24 bit/96 khz album from HDTracks that shows as 16/96 on the MDAC but 24/96 on Audirvana+, iTunes, and VLC. Any idea why?)

I have a new, up to date iMac with Thunderbolt. I received my MDAC on Tuesday and so far so very good; no problems via USB. So it's not all Macs with Thunderbolt. So far, at least. (Unrelated to the OP: although I have one 24 bit/96 khz album from HDTracks that shows as 16/96 on the MDAC but 24/96 on Audirvana+, iTunes, and VLC. Any idea why?)

Can you tell me what firmware version your at? Do you have a Audiolab 8200cdq?

Jason

I have one 24 bit/96 khz album from HDTracks that shows as 16/96 on the MDAC but 24/96 on Audirvana+, iTunes, and VLC. Any idea why?)

The MDAC analysis whats "Really" happening to the Data - where as Audirvana+, iTunes, and VLC may just indicated the "File Type".

If the MDAC indicates 16Bits then the Data is just 16Bits... Sounds like its not really a Hi-Res recording...

John

Bizarrely, my Mac's software updater has just done one of its periodic checks and come back with an invitation to update iMac EFI Firmware to version 1.9. I've politely declined. So I guess I'm running v1.8. Also, I don't have a CDQ, but an MDAC. However, I've read on this forum of similar issues for the latter (at least, I think they are similar), and had readied myself for USB problems when my MDAC finally arrived, with the advance purchase of an optical cable. I've not yet needed to use this cable. All the best.

I should add that I'm running Snow Leopard 10.6.8, not Lion.

To add my experience to this, I can confirm that this problem also affects me (Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3GHz, 8Gb/500Gb with Thunderbolt) into my CDQ. Now that I also have an MDAC, I can't say I've noticed any 'error' reading with 24/96KHz audio - certainly, there are no pops or clicks, though I don't have that much 24/96KHz audio. I'm running OSX Lion 10.7.3, and nothing more fancy than a standard USB cable between Mini and CDQ/MDAC.

Oh, yeah, and I'm also running Pure Music 1.85c.

To add my experience to this, I can confirm that this problem also affects me (Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3GHz, 8Gb/500Gb with Thunderbolt) into my CDQ. Now that I also have an MDAC, I can't say I've noticed any 'error' reading with 24/96KHz audio - certainly, there are no pops or clicks, though I don't have that much 24/96KHz audio. I'm running OSX Lion 10.7.3, and nothing more fancy than a standard USB cable between Mini and CDQ/MDAC.

Can you check what EFI firmware you are? I might downgrade.

While the MDAC uses the same core USB circuit and software as the CDQ, it does not display the error message, the next build of MDAC software will include an "Error event Counter" option - atleast to help diagnose any USB issues.

John

John and Domonic

I've tried everything I can think. Would REALLY appreciate if you let me know if a solution should arise. Stick below email address in a folder and let me know.

jasonandersen2830
@
comcast.net

Hi Jason,

i have the same problems like you with my M-DAC and an Apple MacBook Pro (i5, Thunderbolt, 8GB, SSD, OSX 10.7.3). 16/44.1 and 24/88.2 plays fine but i get clicks and pops with 24/96. Some days ago i tried an Audiophilleo 2 USB to SPDIF Converter (USB 2.0) and the problem was gone. Now i am waiting for the M-TRANS and hope it will solve the problems too.

Best regards,
Uwe

Hi Jason,

i have the same problems like you with my M-DAC and an Apple MacBook Pro (i5, Thunderbolt, 8GB, SSD, OSX 10.7.3). 16/44.1 and 24/88.2 plays fine but i get clicks and pops with 24/96. Some days ago i tried an Audiophilleo 2 USB to SPDIF Converter (USB 2.0) and the problem was gone. Now i am waiting for the M-TRANS and hope it will solve the problems too.

Best regards,
Uwe

I'll do some surfing on audiophiles. What does m-trans
mean?
Jason

It's an 24/192 USB-SPDIF-Converter + CD player + streamer in one box, galvanically isolated from M-DAC. Because it's USB 2.0 i hope the clicks will stops...
Uwe

It's an 24/192 USB-SPDIF-Converter + CD player + streamer in one box, galvanically isolated from M-DAC. Because it's USB 2.0 i hope the clicks will stops...
Uwe

Thanks, I took your suggestion and bought USB to SPDIF converter. Hope that resolves the issue. I just can't live with it the way it is. I would have never guessed that high end audio would leave you out in the woods like this given the amount of money I've spent.

I guess I'd should also raise an issue with Apple.

Jason

Hi Jason, what kind of USB to SPDIF converter did you bought? I will wait for the M-TRANS. Audiophilleo is nice but very expensive...
Uwe

Yes, hiface is good and cheap but i want an converter which works without the need for drivers (for Mac). If you want to go with an Auraliti PK90 ore some other file player in the future you will need a driverless solution. I tried an audiophilleo and it sounds wonderful - very clean and natural, but it's expensive. I think i will wait for the Lakewest solution.
Best, Uwe

Just get a hiface, 24/192khz, dirt cheap, job done.

The disadvantage of the hiface is that it will not be clocked locked to the DAC - so you do not gain the full benefit of Async USB...

There's little point in Async USB if the DAC is not clock master...

I'm not trying to promote the M-TRN, but just state the important difference - The 192kHz USB port on the M-TRN is clock locked to the M-DAC and you have full galvanic isolation... But it will not be available for atleast 3 months.

John

advertisement

Back