advertisement

Van Damme speaker cable

I have been trying to order a set too, here in Ireland I can only buy an entire reel of the stuff. The UK internet dealers I have found either don't deliver to an international address or want a min order of £60 as you say. :(

I only need 2.5 metres a side, so will be going for 2.5mm. Might look at the Sommercable instead though.

You can buy the Van Damme cable on Ebay.

Yes thanks, minimum order £60. There are two places on ebay that stock it, one won't ship to Ireland and the other doesn't seem to have enough stock of 2.5mm. It's ok, I am in no rush, thanks.

I have Kimber 8TC installed at the moment, and just wanted to see if it's Snake Oil or not.

I've been trying to decide between Van Damme blues and Ixos Gamma Geometry.

I'm confused about the different thicknesses though. I take it that thicker does not mean better?

Purity of the conductor and insulation of the conductor is far more important than thickness, 2.4mm should be fine for most home hifi applications. You have to go to quite serious lengths to require a thicker cable.

@ Heath - thanks for the Maplin advice. More expensive, but might drop in when I am in town next to save on postage.

I now use Van Damme for all my needs. Its good quality and cheap.

Sounds perfectly good too.

All comes from the same Polish or Chinese cable smelters as the rest, just not with the same price tag.

Tony, I go on vacation and look what happens. Next they will remove math, science and reading from public schools in the UK.

Standing guard at the last vestige of civilization - Alberta

Louballoo

Lube, this is cheap cable so your consumer saviour sensibilities should not be stirred. Unless you go for active speakers with a separate DAC in each cabinet as well as amps you will need cable.

Wet string, even if it did work would only work for a while.

Apart from Peter has anyone here gone from Naim to Van Damme cable? As my system is now almost totally Naim free apart from the IBL's I'm wondering if my NACA5 might not be such a good idea now? any thoughts..?

Bob,

Your NACA5 is fine, keep it. You can get the same, or so close to it you won't care, with Sommercable for a lot cheaper and clear some cash on your NACA5, if you wish. I'm tempted to try the Van Damme speaker cable to "see" if it's equivalent/better than the Sommercable, but it's only because I'm curious, it's not because I need to, or feel something is lacking.

I did a load of interconnect switching around, and came to the conclusion that past a certain point, the differences between wires and/or connectors might be audioble, different and/or better, but the ear adjusts quickly and doesn't make much difference to musical enjoyment.

I will say that the very cheapest Van Damme interconnects you can find on ebay don't do it for me, but those made by Colin Boardman at the Bettercablecompany with Van damme blue are as good as I need and beautifully made. (I will probably yield to tempation and ask what he thinks about speaker cables)

Thanks Peter. I know that over the years some people have said that NACA5 is great with Naim amps but would not be a good choice if one didn't use their amps. TBH, it would be a pain to switch the cable round and I would only do this if I felt I was going to get better quality music. ATB, Bob

Peter,

would you kindly post a link for the Bettercablecompany as my google search for same isn't yielding results.

Thanks, Craig

I am currently using Naca5 with valve amps. It is very good. It is a temporary solution though while my Black Mambas are being re-terminated. My TV shop repairman is a bit slow.

Tony, I go on vacation and look what happens. Next they will remove math, science and reading from public schools in the UK.

Quite the reverse, Van Damme is decent sensible, logical science and math proven cable, just good quality copper in good quality sheathing and as used in many recording studios the world over. If you want the tweaky audiophool stuff look elsewhere. I use something similar in Mogami 2972, which I'd take over any fancy 'voiced' audiophile cable I've ever heard.

Tony, would you consider Naim as fancy 'voiced' audiophile cable? I'm not one to thow money about for no good reason but I'm still wondering if my 20 year old NACA5 is a good idea in a non Naim system?

Tony, would you consider Naim as fancy 'voiced' audiophile cable? I'm not one to thow money about for no good reason but I'm still wondering if my 20 year old NACA5 is a good idea in a non Naim system?

Personally I'd say sell it and buy a decent 4mm.sq two core OFC cable designed to do the job.
I tried various cheap and expensive options. Something costing £3.28 p/m, and 4mm.sq per core, is what i settled for.

To my ears A5 has a very distinct sound, I've accurately and reliably managed to identify it in blind tests in the distant past. I'd even go as far as arguing that much of the stereotypical 'Naim sound' is contained in A5. In many ways it's a pleasing sound; dry, tight, agile, and rather crisp, but certainly not accurate IMO. I prefer the Mogami to it by a country mile, it sounds much more balanced, coherent and even by comparison to my ears.

Nuthin’ Fancy about NACA 5 Bob, nor is it over priced; a good cable it still remains.

I am using Chord Odyssey and have my Naims moded by misterC6, it all works very well and the Chord is far more manageable, I mean it slips under the carpet out of sight, stays connected, goes round a corner and is not like wrestling a Boa Constrictor!

advertisement

Back