advertisement

Van Damme speaker cable

yep, that's the stuff. Replaced Naca5 with it, might have sounded different/better can't really remember. Sold the Naca5 on, and covered the cost ;)

(Not to say that there aren't audible differences between speaker cable implementations, but there's so much very good "pro" audio stuff out there, that makes the "audiphile" market look "phoolish")

I haven’t tried any speaker cable for more than 15 years, that is how satisfied I am with my home made products.

However, I needed some screened microphone cable to make a long extension for my Grado headphones so that I can listen far away in the bedroom.

I chose a HORRENDOUS number of metres of Van Damm screened, purchased at Maplins, without hearing any first. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the sound. VD cables have a good reputation in the pro audio world, I gather. That should not preclude us using or at least trying them, should it? The naim may not sound good, but Damm the name.

using 4mm Van Damme Blue, it replaced Nordost cable as I couldn't tell any difference between the 2 cables. Price ratio was about 1 x 8 and that included new z plugs!

(Van Dam et al are probably bought-in things. )

Van Damme makes cables. They make guitar and amp cables for the company I work for. Nice stuff and a good company. I haven't tried any of their stuff in my hi-fi setup, but I'm also not a big "cable guy".

Purchased a MC2 Audio MC750 pro amp (stupid good for £400.00)and contacted the company for service history and speaker cable recco, advised Van Damme and no need to spend more on anything else.

Neutrik Speakon connector

Dunno but VanDamme 4mm will

IMG_2074.jpg

Still a touch puzzled...are we to think that cables do sound different...and that Van Dam are also excellent value for money (which they do seem to be) or is the suggestion that cables sound very similar and that people should just buy something robust and well-terminated?

I think that cables in certain systems can sound different (note I did not say better) but I also believe that a good well made copper multistrand (such as vandamme) sounds just as good as many many similar constructed (not necessarily priced) cables. A nice big conductor and robust manufacture should be enough IMHO.

Re connectors, I have long been a fan on Speakons and they outrank banana plugs for me as you cannot short them out, you cannot get them out of phase and they are robust.

However I did experience a solid silver cable on a friends high end system compared with some of my std Cable Talk multistrand and the silver was significantly better in terms of detail and clarity. Just the silver alone would cost a grand so it is not for me but it can happen!

Everyone owes it to themselves to hear thin solid core bellwire for their speakers as well as thick hifi type wire, as it may be just what you need. Basically the thinner the wire, the warmer the bass.

Ordered Van Damme speaker cable for my PMCs. They recommend them. So I ordered cable for the amount of 60`£ (the required minimum). I got an order confirmation. But since then nothing.... It said I had to wait until they contacted me. Thats almost 2 weeks ago! Sent another email last week. Never got a reply. These cables are hopefully better then their service.

I have been trying to order a set too, here in Ireland I can only buy an entire reel of the stuff. The UK internet dealers I have found either don't deliver to an international address or want a min order of £60 as you say. :(

I only need 2.5 metres a side, so will be going for 2.5mm. Might look at the Sommercable instead though.

advertisement

Back