advertisement

Your CD player history...

1990 Arcam Delta 70.2
1998 Naim CDX
1999 Naim CDX/XPS
2006 Acoustic Precision Eikos (secondhand early version)

Technics SL-P2
Very solidly built, but once decided to open the drawer without first stopping the disc

Anyone know how to fix one of these? I've got a sick one from 1985 that catalogues nicely, runs, but sometimes can't seek tracks and randomly skips. Pretty sure it's the linear motor as the laser seems strong.

Love the light/prism in the drawer, and the nice "dithering" noises between tracks - there's no silence on that machine!

1991 - Sony CDP-M12 (separate part of a Sony midi system; piece of crap that spent 6 months of the first 12 being repaired. Soldiered on until...
1996 - Pioneer PDS-703 - nice
1999 - Rega Planet - pain in the arse; sounded fine, but had this continual knocking noise from the clamp that never got fixed. Wish I'd kept the Pioneer and added a Rega Io DAC for a *true* digital turntable-like sound ;)
2004 January - Naim CD5
2004 February - Naim CD5/olive Flatcap

No plans to upgrade - CDS3 is nice, but not worth the extra. CD555 is tacky. Don't like the slow cataloguing on Rega new range.

Not at all interested in computer audio or Squeezebox/iPod-like solutions just yet - just can't face putting 1500 CDs on a computer. Plus I'm NOT getting rid of a turntable.

I've also had a few CD personals - the first, a metal-bodied Kenwood, should have been great but had a faulty transport. Stupidly, I bought ex-display while in the States. Piece of crap finally met it's demise when it scratched one of my discs; I threw it across the room and broke the locking mech, and, due to being quite drunk, I went into a blackout and when I came to, there were bits of torn sheet metal, busted up guts, and blood from my torn hands. Quite worrying - but very satisfying.

Current Panasonic discman's on borrowed time though - the centre spindle slid down and was binding on the mechanism (same as the previous 2 Panasonics and 1 Sony) so I jury rigged it with some train ticket - and it works fine :)

If ANYONE wants to sell me a Philips CD100 - I'm interested - I really want to hear one. My old Marantz CD54 (CDM1 transport) didn't sound too bad (bought second hand for random amusement - nice sloooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww access times, but built like a tank)

Your CD player history?

I guess they are now with downloads and all. Myself, I never bought one. :D

Oi I've been changing it so often I can't remember all

1. Sony cd55
2. Rotel RCD855 (better)
3. Arcam black box 3 (better)
4. Marantz CD63SE (much worse what was I thinking)
5. Naim CD3 (lovely)
6. Naim CDI (better and worse)
7. CDX (ok)
8. CDX/XPS (better)
9. dvd + parasound dac 2000 (different)
10. transport pioneer PD91, died quite soon
11. DVD + DPA PDM 1 mk II dac (still have it)
12 DVD + Non OS DAc Audio Mirror (8 x 5143 (?) in parallel, still here somewhere)
13. DVD + MAudio Flying Dac , very good, now at work system.
14. DVD + MAudio Flying Dac 24bits, no different, around 2 years ago.

93-94 Awia XC-300 (£150 box job)
94-95 Awia XC-300 modified with copper peices and blue tack LOL
95-95 Awia XC-300 dead.
95-97 Technics 5 disc multiplayer, sounded even worse than the Aiwa
97 - present: Meridian 200 Transport / 203 DAC (happiness for over a decade)

Old Sony
Another old Sony
Marantz CD67
Marantz CD63KI
Naim 3.5
Naim 3.5+ Flatcap
Naim CDX
Naim CDX+CDPS modified Burndy
Naim CDS2+CDPS
Avondale AAA5 best of the bunch :D

Harman Kardon HD7500 - Great!
Marantz CD6000 KI Signature - not bad - plodding bass though
Unison Research Unico CD - great midrange but ultimately all round it could be better
Naim CD5i - PRaT
Naim CD5x/Flatcap2 - PRaT with refinement!
Exposure XXII - disappointing
Copland CDA823 - excellent but a little reserved
Rega Apollo - fantastic VFM - 'punches above its weight'
Rega Saturn - The Daddy!

Cambridge Audio, something cheap
Sony SACD, never had one SACD so have no idea, again sold to my dad
Avondale Audio AA5 - Great CD player
Avondale CD3 - The only CD player I will ever need.

1982 Technics
Arcam one
Marantz CD63mk2KI
Naim cd5x/fc2
Naim cd5/fc2
Naim cdx2/xps2 current
Phillips CD100 current

these days mostly SB3/BM Dac1

Meridian MCD
Nakamichi OMS5EII
TAG McLaren CDT20R transport
Meridian 500 transport

I think this is an amazingly short list for nearly 30 years!

plus assorted DVD players

Meridian mcd
Philips cd 624?
Kenwood 9010?transport/various arcam dacs
Arcam delta 170/audiolab 8000dac/Micromega duo bs dac/PT da capo(various filters)
Linn Karik/Numerik
AH! Njoe Tjoeb CD4000 Reference for cd/Denon dvd3930 for sacd/dvda

Marantz CD63
Added a Dac in the Box
Musical Fidelity CDT
Rotel RCD965BLED
Micromega Duo Pro and ProDac

cheers
Jason

No cd player until 1994.

Then some reference Pioneer job
Micromega Stage 6
Micromega Drive 3 & Dac
Rega Saturn

Saturn is pretty damned good, but I might switch to Flac with my Auzentech Prelude.

I thought the Micromega's were really good until the spares and service problems ten years ago or thereabouts.

Naim CD3 Harsh but I still have it, needs to go to Les to be woken up..

Esoteric x-o1 Bloody awesome had it for a day but a £10,000 CD was a bit much for my system.

Audionet Art v2 not bad in fact quite good but no esoteric, I only got this as it was cheap but still listening to it.

advertisement

Back