advertisement

Your CD player history...

Early 90s - some horrid Technics thing that lasted weeks before I sold it on and stuck with vinyl until...

2002 - Linn Mimik. Initially impressive, but after a while I realised it was just too much like hard work listening to it. Kept it but only bought CDs when there was no vinyl option.

2003 - Naim CD3.5 & Hi-cap. Much more like it. Finally considered CDs to be an alternative to vinyl rather than a last resort

2005 - Naim CDS1. Now we're talking. For the first time ever, bought CDs in preference to vinyl and probably listened to CD much more than vinyl (as much as anything, an indication of how my tastes had moved on/expanded from my record-buying days)

2007 - CDS had a holiday in Salisbury, re-discovered vinyl collection.

2008 - in the process of pruning the older parts of the record collection and buying lots of new stuff. CD and LP roughly equal in the listening time stakes

2??? - CDS will eventually die and probably be replaced by some kind of streaming/DAC solution, but will most likely also have a cheaper CDP for occasional use.

1987 - Sony CD Player, seemed OK at the time
1991 ish - Arcam Alpha Plus A really nice player
1993 - Arcam Alpha Plus and Audiolab 8000 DAC Really pleased with this, and I had demo'd earlier an Audiolab transport. The plan was to add the Audiolab transport at a later date. But then Audiolab became TAG and the price of the transport became silly.
2001 - Linn Ikemi still in use. In the future I may either add a Chord DAC64, or replace with a Linn Akurate. The Ikemi really is a great player though.

Hmm lemme see ...

1996 Teac something or other Richers Special 1998 it broke
1998 Sony 520?? something or other
2000 Rotel RCD991 ... still got it and use it, and I'm pretty happy with it.

Technics SL-P2
Very solidly built, but once decided to open the drawer without first stopping the disc

Marantz CD50 SE
Much better sound quality than the Technics. Laser mech became unreliable

Marantz CD63 KISig
A big step up from the previous Marantz. Still going strong and on loan to my parents

Linn Classik
My bedroom system/alarm clock

Arcam Alpha 5
Used only briefly - didn't like it, sent it to Les

AAA5
Much better than the unmodded Arcam. Very good indeed.

Densen B400 XS
This one's staying for the foreseeable future.

1989 Philips ?
1993 Denon 685 ?
1994 Rotel 955
1998 DPA Enlightenment Drive + DPA Enlightenment DX32 DAC

Since 1998 i am trying to find something better IMHO- tried some Sony XA-30ES, Creek ?, Naim CD 3.5, Benchmark DAC1, Moodlab Nonos.

2008 DPA still rulez !

Mission PCM7000 (Yuck!)
Musical Fidelity CD-T (Surprisingly listenable)
Naim CD2 (Now we're getting somewhere, but the player was flakey below 12 degrees Celcius)
Naim CDS2 (Marginally better, but not worth the differential I had to pay over the CD2)
Densen B400XS (I'd be happy if this lasted forever)

James

A reluctant, late adopter here --

1982 to 1999: 101101001 free
1999 to 2000: Arcam Alpha Plus
2000 to this very second: Naim CD2

Ya know, there are only 10 kinds of people in the world -- those that understand binary and those that don't.

Joe

1980s - nothing (stuck to vinyl)
90s Technics cheapie SLP 200 (?) - something to play CDs on
2000 Meridian 506.24 (beautifully smooth and detailed)
2008 Moon Nova - more detailed and a bit more punch

No plans to go for downloads, squeezeboxes or anything else (I don't even own an ipod). I'll probably catch up 10 years after everyone else...:D

Only had 3 in approx 20years!

Marantz CD52SE (Sold)
Arcam Alpha Plus (still working)
Naim CD5 / FCII (just removed to lack of use)

Digital sounds provided by a modded SB MKI and MKII for the last two years

Sony something or other
Quad 66 cdp
Studer-Revox
Phillips CD753 useful features, supposed to be a Marantz in disguise.
Binned them all. Rip to HDD nowadays.

1994- Present Naim CD3 (bought after trying a nasty £250 Technics, then deciding on an Arcam Alpha at £450, then fatally asking what the £980 Naim might sound like.....) Still in daily use.
1993- 2000 Aiwa disc man thingy... useful for trips abroad- poor build quality, no line out
2001 Replacement Sony Discman, used twice before I got an ipod!

I'll keep a CD player, just as I keep a cassette deck (Walkman Pro) and the LP12 (which I'm using a fair bit just now) because I like owning the source material.

If anyone has an electrically dead Mission PCM7000 I need a mechanical part for mine (disc clamp) and will pay for the part and postage.

Here's my list

1992: Cheap yamaha
1996: Cheap sony
1997: Marantz CD67SE (still going strong)
2000:Added Monarchy DAC22A and DIP jitter box

No plans to upgrade, as, having listened to other players I don't think digital is all that different and money is better spent elsewhere.

Years are approximate:-

late 80's - a Sony midi-sized thing that was really awful. The drawer refused to close after a bit. Sold it to a mates Dad who reckoned he could fix the drawer thing. It then stopped working altogether and he spent a fortune sending it to Sony to be fixed.....cough.....

early 90's - Marantz CD63. Was player of the month for 1 month in about 1993. Sounded mighty fine actually.

early 00's - Linn Mimik. Decided it was time for a "serious" CD player. God it was awful. It made every album sound like it was produced by Daniel Lanois. Sold it on eBay.

2002-ish. Bought an original Rega Planet. And we are currently living happily ever after.

Cheers

Rich

Very late eighties to 92 or thereabouts - an entry level Philips cd player. Need say no more.
1992 - Cambridge Audio CD2 (I still have this knocking about - needs someone clever to make it well again though, it started humming rather loudly).
2000 or therabouts - Linn Ikemi. I really liked this player. It stood the test of time well.
2007 - Avondale ACD3. Nice, very nice.

Philips CD150 6 months (cheap, nasty build).
Mission DAD can't remember the number, it lasted all of a couple of weeks.
Marantz 63SE
Meridian 206 (for 10 years) but vinyl still main source.
Naim CDS2/XPS huge leap forward, happy to ditch vinyl.
Finally, CDS3/XPS2 - very happy with that and don't see it changing.
Played with transports and DAC1 etc., - good, but much prefer the Naim.

Steve

Technics 1989 entry-level machine
Rotel RB-965
MF Elektra E600
Arcam Delta 250 + BB500
Sugden CD-21
Sony SCD-1
Marantz CD7
Sony SCD-XA3000ES
Shanling SCD-T200
Electrocompaniet ECD-1 DAC
Chord DAC64
Meridian 500 transport
Marantz SA-11
Esoteric X-03se
NAD M5 (yes there's been a bit of a downsize)

The Esoteric was by far far the best, but now runing a digital active speaker system so only needed a transport + SACD, which the NAD does very nicely.

advertisement

Back