advertisement

Your CD player history...

Finally gave in in 2002 and got a CD5 then got a hi-cap.

I suspect it will be my last CDP.

Sony Discman + 12 CDs: quickly sold
Rega Planet 2000 + 75 CDs: OK for background listening
47 Labs Shigaraki Transport and DAC /Power Humpty/Pure Power Battery Supply + 400 CDs: Sounds great until I play LPs

1991 Marantz CD52 lazer broke after 13 months
1993 Rotel 965BX still running on system 2
1999 Rega Planet 1
2003 Naim CD5 (from 2004 with FC2)

I've changed speakers 6 times since 2002 but tend to stick with the source. How counter intuitive is that?

Kevin

My first CD player in around 1991 was a cheap but nasty Sony.
Arcam Alpha 5
Marantz CD67se
Quad 66
Mission DAD1
Rega Planet 2000
Naim CD3.5
Naim CD5/FC2
Meridian 507

In my opinion, the difference of the sound of CD players is small compared to speakers or amps. These days, I don't want to change my Meridian 507 at all.

Technics SLP something
Marantz CD63
Micromega stage 1
Micromega stage 2
Micromega drive 2 DAC
Micromega drive 2 California Audio lab alpha
Sonneteer Byron/AstinTrew at3500.

Marantz CD63 (the flippy top one)
Sony CDP101
Returned to vinyl for some years
Wadia 3200/X32
Wadia 3200/Perpetual Tech P1A/P3A
Audio Aero Capitole
dCS P8i

Rotel something
Naim CD3 (a revelation!)
Meridian 206 delta-sigma
Naim CD3.5+F.C.
Naim CDi
Naim CDX2
Counterpoint DA10 & DA11 with ultra analogue DAC chipset
I think this will be my last CD player until I hear a computer based system that sounds significantly better

early Rotel spinner
the a Pioneer 8500 (before they started all that stable platter stuff)
Micromega leader II
Kenwood dpx9010 transport (trichord mod) and AA DDE v1.0
Audiomeca Kreatura (lovely!!), first with the AA DDE v1.0, the a couple of years with an XTC DAC and now with a AA DDEv3.0 upto present day....
However just recently got the Micromega Leader II out the loft and realised how good it is. Been using that for last few weeks.....

The main failings with Micromega were their service problems,we stopped dealing with them in the 90's because of it,shame because they were great performers.

Technics Walkman (bought in Tokyo 1999)
Rotel RCD991 (2weeks but had fault so went back)
Rega Jupiter (1st proper CD, still have)
Rotel RCD991 (Still have, interesting to see how many have had & like this, it's a great CD player)
NAD thingy got left behind in a flat with no display so better used than thrown out!

Was a late starter I guess only getting a CD player finally in 1999 :D

Quad
Karik
Karik/Numerik
Ikemi
Unidisk 1.1 Very happy with it, a keeper. Used it a LOT = need a new laser. To stay until Linn release a "DS" that can play film.

Naim CDI : Very nice, and my first dip of the toe into the digital world.

Sony DVP-9000ES : Initially bought for movie use, but when seriously listened to on music, preferred it overall to the CDI. Now used mainly for movies again.

Sony DVP-NS9100ES : Used primarily for 2 channel CD, and 2 channel/multi-channel SACD through it's iLink interface to my ES digital amp. Whether it is the player or the iLink interface in combo with a pure digital amp, but I've yet to hear anything I feel is better, regardless of cost, and have no plans to replace it.

Sony DVP-NS51P : Purchased as a backup for a second system. The sound through the analogue outs is OK, but when used as a transport into the digital amp, it rivals the DVP-9000ES performance wise.

Next adventure will be streaming from a Hard Drive......

Probably Mac/Airport into digital amp, but in the meantime....

Sony RDR-HXD970 : Used for time-shifting SD TV. This handy machine has a recordable DVD drive, plus 250Gb HD upon which, one can record music - yet to experiment but very, very nice...

Jon ;)

1993: Bought the Beatles Red and Blue Albums on CD
Went out to buy a CD player. Hated them.
Took CD's back and exchanged for Vinyl

1995: Cheap Sherwood CD player - just so I could play the things

1998(ish): NAIM CD3.5

2006(ish): Added Flatcap2x

2007: PC with Foobar and firewire card, Apogee AD/DAC, Alice Matchpak Balanced/line converter

Future: ? possibly the Avondale ACD3 as a last CD, probably stick with PC and DAC

advertisement

Back