advertisement

The Detectorists

If it's what I think it is, it's a masterpiece of gripping monotony. There was a similarly envisaged film of a bus journey in Yorkshire (Dales, I think); no dialogue and quite enchanting.
And a canal journey. I've seen the reindeer thing twice now, and you get to know the temperament of the reindeer; one of them is a grumpy beggar! There was more to spot second time around, plus the anticipation of favourite moments. I won't spoil it for you. :D
Although I will replay music I enjoy for years, I can't do the same with video. Watch it once and that's usually it, in fact I have some bought as presents that I have never watched! And the only video I want to transfer from tape to DVD is The John Britten Story.
Back to the Detectorists, I find I really care what happens to them. They are more real than any "reality" programmes I have had the misfortune to see.

Back to the Detectorists, I find I really care what happens to them. They are more real than any "reality" programmes I have had the misfortune to see.

In just about every episode a horde is within reach but they fail to spot it by not pushing on a little further. Maybe that’s a metaphor for life.

Good to watch (or even one might say witness) the final episode this evening. Cleverly done, provoking much mirth. Sad that there won't be more, but perhaps best for McKenzie to quit while he's ahead. Good on him, and I hope he goes on to write, produce and act in more good stuff for us to enjoy. Great series.

I can't top the comments so far, except to observe that the 'metaphor', if there is one, is that their search for gold, causes them to miss the real treasure in their lives.

Pure gentle whimsy; superbly done. I look forward to the next series. A winning formula like that with virtually no real plot lines can go on for ever..... (I hope).

Well McKenzie Crooke has made clear that there will be no more. But I am left wondering what are the legal 'Treasure Trove' etc., implications of a hoard of gold coins falling out of a tree, as opposed to being dug up?

Pure gentle whimsy; superbly done. I look forward to the next series. A winning formula like that with virtually no real plot lines can go on for ever..... (I hope).

Alas Mike, think that was the last one. Only hope is a Christmas special, but knowing your enjoyment for this time of the year is at a low point, that is your only hope
for any more future shows. Unless of course Mackenzie has to pay a tax bill or such.

Bloss

It ended with “and they all lived happily ever after”. Unlike Bono they’d all found what they were looking for.

The earlier Christmas special (which I’ve not seen) is being repeated next week, and there’s a detectoristethon on New Year’s Eve with all of series 3 being broadcast back to back.

John, the link works.

I read the article at the weekend and agree it’s a fine one. The Grauniad are running a countdown of the top 50 TV series of the year, and inexplicably Detectorists came in at number 42.

It ended with “and they all lived happily ever after”. Unlike Bono they’d all found what they were looking for.

The earlier Christmas special (which I’ve not seen) is being repeated next week, and there’s a detectoristethon on New Year’s Eve with all of series 3 being broadcast back to back.
Thanks. I think I missed some of first series episodes. I shall record and watch at my leisure.

advertisement

Back