advertisement

The Detectorists

How do you do that? Unless series one is being shown again.

I think he meant that he missed some of the first episodes of the current series.

Series 1 and 2 are on Netflix - that’s worth repeating in case anyone missed it when it was mentioned earlier.

Yeah, something very sweet and endearing about The Detectorists. I really liked it. I also rather like the title music.

A little too perfect a conclusion. That Emma Peel would provide the money was too obvious. The late-in-the-day friendliness towards Simon and Garfunkel was implausible and the discovery of the gold far far far far far too schmaltzy. Life is grim, grim, grim.

SPOILER ALERT
Am I the only other person who saw gold coins drop out of the tree and the two stop to pick them up ?
(or maybe I imagined it). Looks like another series is on the way if so?

Also I'm wondering - I believe there's a difference in status between gold coins deliberately hidden, and those accidentally lost, so what if they're gathered by a magpie ?

SPOILER ALERT
Am I the only other person who saw gold coins drop out of the tree and the two stop to pick them up ?
(or maybe I imagined it). Looks like another series is on the way if so?

No you weren’t the only person to see that. It was was the whole point of the final episode. Everyone had found what they wanted - and that includes Simon and Garfunkel finding friendship. The fact that everyone has what they were looking for means that it’s unlikely there’ll be another series.

A little too perfect a conclusion. That Emma Peel would provide the money was too obvious. The late-in-the-day friendliness towards Simon and Garfunkel was implausible and the discovery of the gold far far far far far too schmaltzy. Life is grim, grim, grim.

You’re right they should ban comedy altogether, it’s unrealistic and makes people feel happy.

But by having a pleasant no harm done comedy as in the Detectorists, it contrasts with the grim misery of life so making life even more miserable to najb, so job well done

That Emma Peel's daughter should be her real one is implausible. They should all have been gunned down by a rival gang like in proper TV shows while a 'meaningful' modern pop song sung by a breathy singer plays.

It was lovely and S&G's need to be loved, most poignant.

Stephen

Surprised no one has mentioned the gazebo raising in episode 6, a parody of the Amish barn raising in the film 'Witness' (1985) starring Harrison Ford and Kelly McGillis. I only hinted at it in post 66 above so as not to spoil. However, now folks are opening up, I just lurved the similarity of the background music in the gazebo raising, plus the dialogue and the lemonade making/passing glasses of, all borrowed from 'Witness'. Chuckled all the way through the gazebo raising - very cleverly done I thought.

Cheers

But by having a pleasant no harm done comedy as in the Detectorists, it contrasts with the grim misery of life so making life even more miserable to najb, so job well done

Hence my comment some while back , that some disagreed with, that Detectorists fits in a similar box as Last of the Summer Wine. Only problem is that the end has come and LOTSW had years and reincarnations along the way.

Hence my comment some while back , that some disagreed with, that Detectorists fits in a similar box as Last of the Summer Wine. Only problem is that the end has come and LOTSW had years and reincarnations along the way.

Nope, I am still unable to see a connection, other than both have finished.

Bloss

Other than being fairly gentle British comedy, I don't see the connection either. Detectorists is a far superior series, and has been one of the greatest series ever broadcast, let alone greatest comedy. We'll all miss it desperately.

Both have something very 'English' about them. Both are gentle and harmless but somehow poignant. Both revolve around blokes occupying their time doing 'something', OK Detectorists is all the same thing and LOTSW was more varied.

advertisement

Back