advertisement

The Archers

My comments copied a few posts earlier are in error, it was Friday evening he was spotted going for a flight to Canada not Thursday, so he should have had plenty of time to dispose of his car (along with his mother) before going to an airport.

and a dim glow from the valves shining onto the wall behind the wireless.

up our way with Radio Relay you just turned a switch and you got the Home service. A cable ran from house to house along the terrace.

and a dim glow from the valves shining onto the wall behind the wireless.

up our way with Radio Relay you just turned a switch and you got the Home service. A cable ran from house to house along the terrace.

Exactly as it was in my grandmothers house in Vauxhall Bridge Road - heard the Archers from the early fifties.
She later had a Radio Relay television and therefore automatically had BBC2 as soon as it started. I think the Radio Relay service was continued into the new flat she was moved into in 1968.

I feel 'The Archers' sounds better through an old valve radio from the 1950s, on Long Wave.
DAB and FM are just too clear and open sounding.

We have accepted the new Tom here, took a while though, you must persevere, some super-dooper story lines coming up

Bloss

Well, I listened to the Archers on a valve set this morning, Radio 4 off the internet fed into a Radford STA25 III and Rogers BBC LS3/6 speakers.

There are too many new characters these days and the complicated and improbable plots make it difficult to keep up, plus there's far too much wimmins stuff. They need to get back to tractors, silage and milk yields or no good will come of it.

I listen through a Quad valve tuner, Jadis valve amp and Rogers speakers, so it's not my systems that's buggering it up!

I used to occasionally enjoy the Archers back when it was about 'countryfolk' and farming, etc. But it has long since become "Eastenders with more cows". Which made me decide to "Leave it out!". :)

There are too many new characters these days and the complicated and improbable plots make it difficult to keep up, plus there's far too much wimmins stuff. They need to get back to tractors, silage and milk yields or no good will come of it.

I listen through a Quad valve tuner, Jadis valve amp and Rogers speakers, so it's not my systems that's buggering it up!

Crystal set is the only way

Crystal set is the only way

Ah, a crystal set.
That takes me back to my early years and building one.
I was so pleased when it worked.

Those early Archers broadcasts will be far out in space by now.
If any Aliens have heard them they will be very confused...

As Walter Gabriel might have said, "Well Dan, I wonder how long they've been using a Fordson power take-off to run the Home Service transmitter ?"

advertisement

Back