advertisement

The Archers

I gave up on the Archers in August after listening to almost every episode since about 1980.

I’d say it has reached its sell by date. Rural life is something so different nowadays when so few of those who live in the countryside have anything to do with farming.

I grew up on a farm and am moving back to the countryside next week. After nearly twenty five years of unhappy urban living.

Finally I shall be back in my my natural environment ... Blissful quietude ...

Radio Four [as a whole] no longer appeals to me. The News is perpetually depressing, and the comedy stuff is too young for me ...

I still enjoy the creamy voiced presenters on Woman's Hour!

Today is not so good now they are less professional about it.

Don’t ask me what i think of the World Service these days!

ATB from George

What annoys me is the fake drama. Someone is about to admit to something important when all of a sudden a phone rings and they have to take it. This is supposed to create suspense. It's a bit like Eastenders plots.

The Archers are real, you may well have a shock in store when returning to carrot land.

Bloss

I think not. Carrot-land is not Herefordshire! That old county is for sheep, cattle and a certain old fashioned rub-along tolerance, which is far from the modern urban condition. People say hello to strangers. people filter at junctions. People are polite and friendly at the same time. That is a lost art in the urban setting where meeting eyes is as good as sexual harassment! I shall be glad to go to an older world where you knock and then walk in and surprise nobody.

Even now the country folk actually are not self-obsessed paranoids ...

I just visited friends in the country and let myself in, and the dogs welcomed me before the humans!

My Archers' listening is mostly confined to the first minute or so. Generally, it's that Geordie woman saying Ower Nower about the cows or something.

By a strange coincidence, last weekend I walked past Jeffrey Archer's house.

I think not. Carrot-land is not Herefordshire! That old county is for sheep, cattle and a certain old fashioned rub-along tolerance, which is far from the modern urban condition. People say hello to strangers. people filter at junctions. People are polite and friendly at the same time. That is a lost art in the urban setting where meeting eyes is as good as sexual harassment! I shall be glad to go to an older world where you knock and then walk in and surprise nobody.

Even now the country folk actually are not self-obsessed paranoids ...

I just visited friends in the country and let myself in, and the dogs welcomed me before the humans!

Crikey, we see the world differently. good luck in your endeavours to find the good life.

Bloss

My Archers' listening is mostly confined to the first minute or so. Generally, it's that Geordie woman saying Ower Nower about the cows or something.

By a strange coincidence, last weekend I walked past Jeffrey Archer's house.

Your life is garlanded with synchronicity at the moment. Do you think there's a warp in the space time continuum or owt?

Dear Bloss,

I have lived in the cities of Hereford and then Worcester since 1989, and could never get over the simple rudeness of people, particularly in Worcester. I lived in Coventry in 2002/3 and found the place much nicer than Worcester at least, but it was still unhappy for me. I need the space to breathe.

The space to find my own stimulation rather than the un-invited excitement of urban living.

Where I am going there are no street lights, no rich people, no beggars. In fact no annoyances at all. It is not posh, but real.

Unlike the current iteration of the Archers! [To be on topic].

ATB from George

Your life is garlanded with synchronicity at the moment. Do you think there's a warp in the space time continuum or owt?

I think it's because I'm reading too much. I have an insane number of books on the go at present, including Volumes I and XIV of the Collected Works of John Stuart Mill, 'The Sixth Heaven' by L P Hartley, Volume V of the Diaries of Virginia Woolf, and 'Silas Marner' by George Eliot. All those words are bound to cause a coincidence or two.

Dear Bloss,

I have lived in the cities of Hereford and then Worcester since 1989, and could never get over the simple rudeness of people, particularly in Worcester. I lived in Coventry in 2002/3 and found the place much nicer than Worcester at least, but it was still unhappy for me. I need the space to breathe.

The space to find my own stimulation rather than the un-invited excitement of urban living.

Where I am going there are no street lights, no rich people, no beggars. In fact no annoyances at all. It is not posh, but real.

Unlike the current iteration of the Archers! [To be on topic].

ATB from George

Good luck George, hope you find the peace you seek.

Bloss

PS: I bet you will still have the odd catch up with the A's

What annoys me is the fake drama. Someone is about to admit to something important when all of a sudden a phone rings and they have to take it. This is supposed to create suspense. It's a bit like Eastenders plots.

Some of the cast and production team have worked on both, it's why silage yields are down and fake drama is on the up.

advertisement

Back